Mexican doctor wants to practice in Puerto Rico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulu1538

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone, I am from Mexico, I just graduate from Universidad Xochicalco, and I am looking for the requirements for medical license in Puerto Rico. I have completed and pass the Usmle step 1 and step 2 CK, and looking for take the CS soon. I don't have a bachelor degree or the pre med classes.
Do i have to take the basic science classes ?
Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to make sure I understand.

You graduated with a medical degree (M.D.)? If that's the case, you need to go through the standard ECFMG certification process. Graduates from Mexican medical schools used to have the "fifth pathway" program, but that is no longer offered after 2009.

http://www.ecfmg.org/2014ib/fifth-pathway.html

Go to the ECFMG website and begin to get acquainted with the process, which you already should be if you've taken the Steps. Then apply for residency listing programs in Puerto Rico, just like every other foreign graduate.

This is not really a Caribbean medical school forum question otherwise. Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. and you've already graduated from a Mexican medical school.

More information likely here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/latin-america.92/

Good luck!

-Skip

Skip, he is already enrolled in ECFMG, he just said he passed USMLE step 1 and 2 and the only way is registering through ECFMG.

Lulu:
After you become ECFMG( only CS to go) certified it is possible to do apply for an intership/residency in PR and obtain a medical license that way.
There are some programs that offer a 1 year internship and all but that will give you a limited license to practice, whereas a residency will give you a full medical license to practice anywhere.

Skip intro published a good post and some links in a thread a few days back that gives all that information, look for it in the caribbean section: "now a cautionary tale"

Go to the ECFMG website and begin to get acquainted with the process, which you already should be if you've taken the Steps. Then apply for residency listing programs in Puerto Rico, just like every other foreign graduate.