MFT PhD v. Psych Ph.D. questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nihl

Psy Student & MFT
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was waitlisted at Clin Psych PhD programs and have been contemplating life and options ahead of me.

I am primarily interested in relationship issues, from young adolescent issues to marital/family violence/aggression.

What I am wondering at this time is how different is an PhD in MFT from a Clin Psych PhD. How much would I be limiting myself? I am interested in private practice and academic/research positions. I can't find clear answers on how I would be licensed differently or how difficult it would be to obtain an academic position in MFT if you have a PhD in it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I haven't been able to dig up anything on this either.

Members don't see this ad :)
My spouse is an MFT so I am familiar with this discussion.

I believe the post above is correct that you would not be a "psychologist" the PhD in MFT is more of a pure research degree for those wishing to work in university departments and teach MFT classes etc.

Kansas has a great program from what I have heard I would start there in your search if I were you.

Here's the AAMFT's list of PhD programs in MFT.

Last edited:
I'm sure this goes without saying, but an MFT PhD focuses almost entirely on couple and family issues with not much attention paid to individual psychodynamics/psychopathology, etc. All the MFT PhD programs I'm aware of also require a terminal Master's (in counseling, counseling psych, or mft) to be completed prior to applying.