This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabemft

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some perspective. So I'm in the middle of my application process for a couple of private schools for MFT programs in California: St. Mary's, Santa Clara University, University of San Francisco, and Azusa Pacific University.

I just found out I got accepted into Azusa, and I'm still in the middle of the application process for the other schools. I'm really excited and eager to start, but I'm terrified of the cost of tuition for private schools. The reason why I only applied to private is because I don't have a very competitive undergraduate GPA (2.9), I didn't major in psychology, and I don't have any relevant experience.

With that said, I'm currently living in Northern California and going to school in Azusa would mean living expenses + tuition, whereas if I were accepted and went to the Northern CA schools I would remain at home.

Another option is waiting until next year and applying to public schools, namely state schools like Sonoma State, CSULB, CSULA, SDSU, SF State, etc. But like I said, my GPA isn't great and no relevant experience, and I've read these programs are very competitive. So I'm wondering if I should hold out another year, gain some experience, and apply to the state schools or if I should just go for it now with the private schools?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The private schools you mention in the Bay all have solid reputations and provide quality training; however, like you know, they are expensive. I encourage my own students to consider the public state schools you mention. At the MA level, there really isn't much of a reputation difference between the schools you are considering and as long as the program leads to licensure, you'll be ok.

If you waited a year to gain some experience and perhaps take a psychology course or two at a community college, you'd be more competitive all around. And, postponing the start of your career by one year to avoid $30,000+ in loans would be worth it, imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Calimich,

Thanks for your response! I know we're supposed to remain anonymous on here, but I saw that you're an assistant professor. Are you currently teaching at a CSU? I'm asking because I would love to know what you're looking for in a candidate, especially for those who don't have a particularly strong background in the field. (If not, please disregard this comment.)

In terms of taking a few psychology classes, I'm actually taking one now — Abnormal Psych — and I've learned a lot of really useful information, overview from it. I've also been reading some of John Gottman's books since I'm interested in his evidence-based research in couples therapy. But do you think taking classes will be enough? I've tried to gain some experience in the mental health field (both paid and volunteer) and it has been quite difficult since I don't have any background in it.

I just don't want to wait a year to apply to CSUs and still not get accepted, and have wasted the year I could have been learning.

Thanks,

wannabemft

I'm not at a CSU, however I am familiar with them. In general, admissions committees look for evidence that you can be successful in their program, and then in the field; counseling programs also want to see maturity, self awareness, interpersonal skills, and an ability to incorporate feedback.

Taking, and doing well in, psych classes will help. Finding a way to gain some experience is also important -- both for admission and for you personally. How do you know you want to be in this field if you've not had any experience with it?