MFTs in New York opportunities..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eilat87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello hows everybody doing. My significant other is going to be an MFT. shes currently pursuuing her MA in counseling psychology at USF (san francisco), and she just found out that California internships are not paid.. unlike the internships in other states.. We both are new york city natives.. would it be possible for her to come back to nyc to do her internship here and then get licensed back in CA? and how possible is it to find an internship as well as a job as an MFT in nyc? Thanks. Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert on MFT, but I do live in NYC and did consider getting a master's in that subject. I chose MSW instead, and one of the key reasons was the amount of post-grad opportunities. MFT is very new in New York state (the license only became recognized a few years ago) and basically virtually no one even knows what an MFT is if you go around sending out your applications. Most places in NY require the LMSW or LCSW and won't even consider you with an LMHC or LMFT. California is one of the few states that treats LMFTs and LMSWs somewhat equally. If you are looking to get internship hours here, you will have a very hard time and it will probably be unpaid as well. I think the people who are able to find a location as an MFTi are those who went to school in the region and continued their internship at their field placement site. Good luck.

are there nyc schools with programs that have an emphasis on MFT? if so.. what are they? thanks for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
are there nyc schools with programs that have an emphasis on MFT? if so.. what are they? thanks for your reply.

Hofstra, for one...

What is the income range for MFT? What about job prospects? Can you work in a hospital? I know you can do private practice but early on its hard to have the stream of referrals...

my fiance is currently finishing her MFT at Fresno State and I can assure you that there are paid internships available for MFTs. However, most schools require students to complete a few hundred hours before awarding the masters degree (in her case it is 600) and she does not know of anyone who has gotten a paid internship for those first few hundred hours. However, after the 600 and masters degree completion she knows some ppl who have gotten paid internships.

Keep in mind the positions are not highly paid, but they are paid. Usually they receive 50% of the hourly rate which equates to roughly 20-30k per year.

But to be fair, the only students receiving internships let alone paid ones in this economy are the upper 5-10% of the class. There is no other state or city that has more paid internships, the number available everywhere is extremely low and that fact is very common knowledge among everyone in the industry, in grad school or thinking about grad school. If she was told anything different she was lied to.