General Admissions & OTCAS MGH IHP OTD 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTdoctor18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we're all anxiously waiting to hear back from MGH because 'early March' means any day now. Just wanted to see where everyone else stands regarding MGH in their list of schools!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
Im also very anxious for the waiting. I only apply to two universities and MGH is my first option.

Looks like admissions are being sent today, I got in!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they send what you have received in scholarship with the acceptance email? Or does that come later?

If I remember correctly they send it in a separate email.

Reactions: 1 users
Got in this morning as well!! :clap:

Also got in this morning! :) does anyone know how soon the scholarship info comes afterwards? With the deposit due 3/20 that doesn't leave a ton of time to figure everything out...

I got in too!! Did everyone else also just receive an email? Nothing was posted on OTCAS right? I'm like skeptical that I actually got in so I need confirmation that it was just an email haha

It was just an email! Also, I looked through the scholarship info on the packet they gave us during the interview and it said scholarships would be given in the acceptance email.

It was just an email! Also, I looked through the scholarship info on the packet they gave us during the interview and it said scholarships would be given in the acceptance email.
Thank you!! That's reassuring! Haha I thought they said it would be in a separate email for same day or within a few days? Hopefully we get ahold of it on Monday?

Did anyone receive a scholarship in their acceptance letter? I just got an email from financial aid that said institutional scholarship recipients were notified of their award in their acceptance letter. When I talked to current students on interview day, they made it seem like almost everybody received at least some form of scholarship

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw the email... I didn't receive a scholarship in my acceptance letter :(

This is so strange. The student I talked to on interview day said she couldn't think of anyone in the class who didn't have a scholarship :(

I didn't get anything either. I called financial aid to confirm and they also said we would have heard about it in our acceptance letter. They also told me, though, that we'd be getting another email in about a month with the rest of our financial aid information regarding the non PLUS loans. Maybe they're mistaken and we receive notification in that? I too was told that most people at least got something... :/

Did anyone receive a scholarship in their acceptance letter? I just got an email from financial aid that said institutional scholarship recipients were notified of their award in their acceptance letter. When I talked to current students on interview day, they made it seem like almost everybody received at least some form of scholarship
I didn't get anything either. I called financial aid to confirm and they also said we would have heard about it in our acceptance letter. They also told me, though, that we'd be getting another email in about a month with the rest of our financial aid information regarding the non PLUS loans. Maybe they're mistaken and we receive notification in that? I too was told that most people at least got something... :/
I know.. A lot of the current students and even the faculty made it seem like everyone gets some sort of scholarship.. So I also just called fin aid to make sure and they said only ~30% of incoming students actually receive scholarships so if it wasn't in your acceptance letter, you're not going to get anything. They also said you can apply for external scholarships as that was the only internal scholarship that the IHP offers.. Hope this helps!

I received a scholarship yesterday morning. It came separate from my acceptance on Friday.

Everyone should go join the Facebook page! Its called MGH-IHP OTD class of 2021. Im trying to find housing/a roommate and this page could be super helpful!

I got accepted too! I am still weighing out my options, I have not fully committed yet.

I got accepted too! I am still weighing out my options, I have not fully committed yet.

Do it, I had to give up my spot for financial reasons but if you're from Boston it seems like an incredible option!

I know.. A lot of the current students and even the faculty made it seem like everyone gets some sort of scholarship.. So I also just called fin aid to make sure and they said only ~30% of incoming students actually receive scholarships so if it wasn't in your acceptance letter, you're not going to get anything. They also said you can apply for external scholarships as that was the only internal scholarship that the IHP offers.. Hope this helps!

This is correct; only a small portion of the class receives scholarship monies and from the feedback from the all of the incoming classes from 2017-2020 graduating classes it appears the students who need it most due to financial hardship are not getting the funding. It is given to students who have high GPAs coming in or those with very high GRE scores. In my graduating class only one student received a full scholarship, which wasn't necessarily needed because the person's parents are high income earners (much higher than most persons). Other students whose parents could not financially contribute to their education received very low scholarship amounts. Myself = $1,300 a semester, which doesn't even put a dent into the cost of extremely high tuition at MGH Institute of Health Professions. I am a student who has a parental situation in the latter camp, and $1,300 barely covered rent for one month in Boston. In hindsight, I would have checked into scholarship offerings at all schools I was accepted to before making a decision on attending. Hope this helps incoming students and those seeking OT programs.

Does anyone in the program/ who applied last year know how many people got off the waitlist last year? Would you say there's a chance of getting off? I was waitlisted and this is my top program I'm really bummed about it

Does anyone in the program/ who applied last year know how many people got off the waitlist last year? Would you say there's a chance of getting off? I was waitlisted and this is my top program I'm really bummed about it

I’m in the same boat as you and wondering as well.

Got my acceptance today and waiting for a follow up email with my scholarship

I just got accepted! They told us we have until
Got my acceptance today and waiting for a follow up email with my scholarship
Me too!! Did you email the financial aid office asking about scholarships?

I just got accepted! They told us we have until

Me too!! Did you email the financial aid office asking about scholarships?
Nope! The email said I should get my scholarship info in a few days so I'm just going to wait! Congrats!

Hello! It seems as if I didn’t get a scholarship, though I don’t really know why as I have a really high GPA (3.9) and good GRE scores. This semester, I got a 4.0, including A&P I, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience bartering for a scholarship? Is it worth it trying to get some money, when I truly believe I deserve something, and the school is sooooo expensive to begin with? Thoughts? Thank you!

Hello! It seems as if I didn’t get a scholarship, though I don’t really know why as I have a really high GPA (3.9) and good GRE scores. This semester, I got a 4.0, including A&P I, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience bartering for a scholarship? Is it worth it trying to get some money, when I truly believe I deserve something, and the school is sooooo expensive to begin with? Thoughts? Thank you!
I totally agree with you, I have really good stats too so I was pretty confused as to why I didn't get anything eoteie. Could someone who got a scholarship share their stats? It could have been based more on the interview though is my other thought.

I totally agree with you, I have really good stats too so I was pretty confused as to why I didn't get anything eoteie. Could someone who got a scholarship share their stats? It could have been based more on the interview though is my other thought.
I'm really surprised you both weren't offered scholarships! I received one and my stats are:
GPA: 3.945
GRE: V 162, Q 161, AW 5.0
Shadow hours: almost 300 total

Also I have a question for current students (or anyone who knows this info). As of now, I'm not planning on going into a hospital-based setting as an OT, do you think there are adequate experiences in more community-based settings in course work and Level 2 fieldwork connections at MGH?

In case you were wondering, I ended up asking to be reconsidered for a scholarship, but they said they don’t reconsider people for scholarships; they only have the one review period unfortunately.

I'm really surprised you guys didn't too! Maybe once some people turn down the acceptance their money will be allocated to you?
GPA: 3.91
GRE: 160, 165, 5
Shadowing: 80

Hi, I applied and got waitlisted, has anyone heard back from the waitlist or know anything about it?

Hi, I applied and got waitlisted, has anyone heard back from the waitlist or know anything about it?
I got off the waitlist today. They gave me until February 7th to decide so another wave of acceptances will probably go out after then!

Does anyone know if they will not be accepting their offer or know of anyone who isn't? Sorry, trying to figure out if I have a shot lol

Does anyone know if they will not be accepting their offer or know of anyone who isn't? Sorry, trying to figure out if I have a shot lol
I accepted my spot, but they gave us until February 7th to decide so you might hear a little after that!

One of the girls from our cohort made a facebook page! It's MGH IHP OTD Class of 2022

Has anyone heard anything new about the waitlist or spots available? Do you think they hit a point where they will tell a person if they are not getting off the waitlist? Stressed out girl over here lol