Program-Specific Info / Q's MGH IHP OTD 2020-2021 Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOTD2024

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a virtual interview for MGH IHP's OTD program coming up this week. I was wondering if anyone has interviewed with them in the past and had any advice for me. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! when is your interview? I have mine coming up with MGH IHP this week too and I can't find much about what they usually ask on interviews.

Hello! when is your interview? I have mine coming up with MGH IHP this week too and I can't find much about what they usually ask on interviews.
Hi! My interview is on Thursday the 19th. When is yours? I can't find much info either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is tomorrow! I can update you after it!

Reactions: 1 users
How did it go!? I am so nervous
Hi! I had mine on Monday and it's not too bad. The faculty really just want to get to know you better and just ask you a few questions about OT and your past experiences. Do not stress about this interview, I am sure you'll do great!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I had mine on Monday and it's not too bad. The faculty really just want to get to know you better and just ask you a few questions about OT and your past experiences. Do not stress about this interview, I am sure you'll do great!
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Were there any questions that caught you off guard? Or was it more straightforward questions about OT/their program?

How did it go!? I am so nervous
Hello! I think it went well overall. They put you in a group with 2 other candidates and one faculty member. The faculty member reads your application thoroughly in advance, so he/she will have 3 different questions for each of you related to your previous experiences/major/volunteer opportunities or hobbies. Make sure you're able to connect any of this info to OT, what traits you have that can benefit you in OT, how you have handled conflict in the past, any experiences with teamwork. Also, have questions ready to ask them!

Hi! I have an upcoming interview this week as well! I was wondering, around how long is the interview portion? and around how many questions does each applicant get?

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Were there any questions that caught you off guard? Or was it more straightforward questions about OT/their program?
Nope! There were no surprise or unexpected questions. It was mostly just about them trying to understand your interests, goals, and values :)

Hello! I think it went well overall. They put you in a group with 2 other candidates and one faculty member. The faculty member reads your application thoroughly in advance, so he/she will have 3 different questions for each of you related to your previous experiences/major/volunteer opportunities or hobbies. Make sure you're able to connect any of this info to OT, what traits you have that can benefit you in OT, how you have handled conflict in the past, any experiences with teamwork. Also, have questions ready to ask them!
Great, thanks! I'm glad it went well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have an upcoming interview this week as well! I was wondering, around how long is the interview portion? and around how many questions does each applicant get?
The interview portion is 40 mins. Each applicant gets 3 questions. The questions will be different for each, just make sure you are able to connect whatever is on your application back to OT.

The interview portion is 40 mins. Each applicant gets 3 questions. The questions will be different for each, just make sure you are able to connect whatever is on your application back to OT.
Ok, thank you so much!

Hello! Does anyone have any idea when we might hear back from MGH? I thought I hears January during the interview but I forget

Congrats to everyone!

Hello! Does anyone have any idea when we might hear back from MGH? I thought I hears January during the interview but I forget

Congrats to everyone!
I heard January as well!

I just got an email from them just now that I was accepted and received one of their scholarships! Did anyone else hear back from them??

I just got an email from them just now that I was accepted and received one of their scholarships! Did anyone else hear back from them??
Hi! I just heard back as well but I don’t think I recieved a scholarship. Was the scholarship information in the email directly?

Hi! I just heard back as well but I don’t think I recieved a scholarship. Was the scholarship information in the email directly?
Yeah, it was included in the acceptance email for me

I was waitlisted :/

Congratulations!!! I’m still in disbelief, I got my acceptance email as well.

Congratulations everyone! Will everyone be accepting their offer? I’m still undecided because I don’t know how much my scholarship is for yet and it is soooo expensive

Congratulations everyone! Will everyone be accepting their offer? I’m still undecided because I don’t know how much my scholarship is for yet and it is soooo expensive
waiting to see how much my scholarship money is as well!

I was waitlisted :/
I was waitlisted too!

Hi everyone! Congratulations on your acceptances and scholarships! I was accepted to MGH as well, but I am still considering some other schools. I just wanted to gain some perspective on the program at MGH. For those of you who plan on attending MGH, what made you choose MGH over other schools and what aspects of the program do you like?
Thanks!

Hi everyone! Congratulations on your acceptances and scholarships! I was accepted to MGH as well, but I am still considering some other schools. I just wanted to gain some perspective on the program at MGH. For those of you who plan on attending MGH, what made you choose MGH over other schools and what aspects of the program do you like?
Thanks!
Hi! For me a huge part of it was the scholarship I was given because it covered most of my tuition. But other than that, I really liked how well rounded the program was. No matter what you want to do with your OTD after graduation, you will be prepared in research, clinical experience, etc. I also think the prestige associated with the name and living in Boston will go a long for networking purposes and finding jobs later on down the line. And for me, the last big part of it was the Interprofessional education and all of the really amazing experiences you have at the school (cadaver lab at Harvard Medical School, Interprofessional day, fieldwork experiences, simulations, etc.). The only concern I have about the school is the competitiveness. I worry that everything will be a competition and we might have to fight for the fieldwork experiences we want. But I’m talking to a current student soon to see if this is true because I could be wrong! Hope this helps :)

Hi! For me a huge part of it was the scholarship I was given because it covered most of my tuition. But other than that, I really liked how well rounded the program was. No matter what you want to do with your OTD after graduation, you will be prepared in research, clinical experience, etc. I also think the prestige associated with the name and living in Boston will go a long for networking purposes and finding jobs later on down the line. And for me, the last big part of it was the Interprofessional education and all of the really amazing experiences you have at the school (cadaver lab at Harvard Medical School, Interprofessional day, fieldwork experiences, simulations, etc.). The only concern I have about the school is the competitiveness. I worry that everything will be a competition and we might have to fight for the fieldwork experiences we want. But I’m talking to a current student soon to see if this is true because I could be wrong! Hope this helps :)
Hello! Thank you so much for your feedback! This is great information that I will definitely take into account. I was planning on asking faculty about their selection process for fieldwork experiences as well, which is something I have been worried about . Someone I talked to in the program said that the Boston area can be a little competitive or difficult to get your top choice in, but MGH has good connections across the nation where you would probably have less competition (this is just one person though!). Keep me updated on the process :)

Hello! Thank you so much for your feedback! This is great information that I will definitely take into account. I was planning on asking faculty about their selection process for fieldwork experiences as well, which is something I have been worried about . Someone I talked to in the program said that the Boston area can be a little competitive or difficult to get your top choice in, but MGH has good connections across the nation where you would probably have less competition (this is just one person though!). Keep me updated on the process :)
If you want to know about MGH from the student perspective, I’d recommend taking a look at this blog: Tips for Incoming OTD Students

She’s a student in her third year at MGH right now and she talks about her fieldwork and course experience as well as gives tips to incoming OT students! Best of luck to you!

If you want to know about MGH from the student perspective, I’d recommend taking a look at this blog: Tips for Incoming OTD Students

She’s a student in her third year at MGH right now and she talks about her fieldwork and course experience as well as gives tips to incoming OT students! Best of luck to you!
Thank you so much! This website is very helpful.

I was wondering if anyone who was accepted and will be attending MGH this summer would be interested in setting up a GroupMe or Facebook group for our cohort!

I was wondering if anyone who was accepted and will be attending MGH this summer would be interested in setting up a GroupMe or Facebook group for our cohort!
You're invited to my new group 'MGHIHP Class of 2024' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Did anyone else apply regular decision, and if so have you heard anything?
Hi there!

I applied on Jan. 15 which was the deadline (they then extended it to Jan. 19 for everyone due to OTCAS internal issues) and today received an invitation to interview! You will likely hear back soon :)

Hi there!

I applied on Jan. 15 which was the deadline (they then extended it to Jan. 19 for everyone due to OTCAS internal issues) and today received an invitation to interview! You will likely hear back soon :)
Congratulations!! I just got an invitation to interview as well! Fingers crossed for us!!

I was accepted today! No scholarship info though so I am wincing at these tuition numbers 😯

I was accepted today! No scholarship info though so I am wincing at these tuition numbers 😯
Congrats! If you’re considering going to MGH, you should join our GroupMe (linked above)!