Program-Specific Info / Q's MGH IHP OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preotaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an interview today for February 5th for this program. I haven't seen any recent threads regarding this program. Has anyone else received an interview invitation yet? Does anybody know how many students they accept from those interviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview invitation also! Based on SDN threads from last year, it looks like they accept ~35 students for the entering class. I guess I'll see you in Boston!

I also got an interview invitation today! :D Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got invited as well! Does anyone know how this compares to Boston University's OTD program? Both seem to be excellent!

Got an interview today as well. I also interviewed at BU and I've heard the programs are very different. We shall see!

Do you guys know if they send out interview invitations in waves? Still waiting for an email...

@KateRhae, I just wondered what you had heard about how BU and MGHIHP were different? Trying to learn as much about both as possible! Thanks!

@KateRhae, I just wondered what you had heard about how BU and MGHIHP were different? Trying to learn as much about both as possible! Thanks!
I'm curious about the differences too! I know neither school's OTD program is accredited to sit for the NBCOT, but I'm sure both will have no problem getting accredited. I also know BU has a great reputation in the OT world, and since MGH is newer, it isn't as well known. But I have no doubts it must be a strong program as well since MGH is a well-regarded hospital around the world.

Anyone know the check in time for the morning session tomorrow at mgh? I had to switch my session and can't seem to find the schedule.. thanks in advance!

Anyone know the check in time for the morning session tomorrow at mgh? I had to switch my session and can't seem to find the schedule.. thanks in advance!

Registration is 8:15-8:50. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Also attending interviews tomorrow, checking in! Eat food and a good night's sleep, all - we've got this :)

This is my first interview. I'm sitting here trying not to overthink or worry myself, hah.

Could any current MGHIHP students possibly speak to the strength of the curriculum and clinical placements, given that it is such a new program? Thanks so much!

Could any current MGHIHP students possibly speak to the strength of the curriculum and clinical placements, given that it is such a new program? Thanks so much!
To go off this....it seems like there are very limited Fieldwork placements unless you have a "connection." Im not sure how a recently graduated college student would have a fieldwork connection!?

Members don't see this ad :)
To go off this....it seems like there are very limited Fieldwork placements unless you have a "connection." Im not sure how a recently graduated college student would have a fieldwork connection!?

True, but the faculty have connections. The fieldwork coordinator used to work at BU, and other professors are from Tufts, so they should have pretty solid networks in the Boston area for Fieldwork I. The current students I talked to had some pretty stellar prior and upcoming placements. I think you just kind of figure out where geographically you want to be for Fieldwork II and then work with the faculty to research/get a confirmed placement. One first year I talked to already had one of her Fieldwork II's confirmed out of state.

Hi, I am a current 2nd year here at the IHP and I wouldn't say this statement is entirely true. Yes, level II sites are competitive, but they are anywhere in the country. Additionally, it is possible that placements might be slightly more competitive in the Boston area because of the high student population, but because it is such a medical area, there are a lot more opportunities, especially in world renowned facilities. I am part of the first class to go through the program and I had no connections in this area and our fieldwork coordinator placed me in each of my sites based on my interests, my future goals as an OT, and my ADE ideas. So, with all of this being said, I certainly don't think you need "connections" to get amazing placements. If you are considering out of state - connections definitely help, especially if you wanted to do a fieldwork where you might have observed previously. However, our fieldwork coordinator and other staff do their best to get us what we want and need for level IIs.

Reactions: 2 users

Hi, I'm a current 2nd year student, so - first class entering the program. I would say that a large strength of the program is that the curriculum aligns with all of our level I fieldworks. I love gaining the hands on experience while learning in the classroom. Additionally, I think that the interprofessional collaborations and opportunities to work together is a huge strength and is very unique in OT programs. By working with other professions, we learn quickly how to communicate within a interdisciplinary team setting, which in turn will make us better practitioners. The last thing that I enjoy about our program is our faculty and how approachable they are. They are always asking for feedback and really care about us as learners.
Those would be my top reasons, hope that helps!

Also - I wanted to share this video with you all as it might be helpful. It is a promotional video, but it does share some experiences of students and why they chose MGHIHP.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you both so much! This is really helpful information. It seems like a great program. Do you feel like despite being the first class, you are well-prepared for OT practice by the curriculum and fieldwork? How available are opportunities to be involved with faculty research? Thanks so much again!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I'm a current 2nd year student, so - first class entering the program. I would say that a large strength of the program is that the curriculum aligns with all of our level I fieldworks. I love gaining the hands on experience while learning in the classroom. Additionally, I think that the interprofessional collaborations and opportunities to work together is a huge strength and is very unique in OT programs. By working with other professions, we learn quickly how to communicate within a interdisciplinary team setting, which in turn will make us better practitioners. The last thing that I enjoy about our program is our faculty and how approachable they are. They are always asking for feedback and really care about us as learners.
Those would be my top reasons, hope that helps!

Also - I wanted to share this video with you all as it might be helpful. It is a promotional video, but it does share some experiences of students and why they chose MGHIHP.

Thanks so much for the info. I interviewed last weekend and noticed that their approach to teamwork learning was pretty unique. How do you honestly feel about working on a team all the time? How has it been adapting to that sort of learning environment and do you feel like it has helped or hindered your experience in the program? Thanks again!

Could any current students speak to how much the interview is weighed in the admissions decision? I had an interview, however, I was not asked many questions considering it was a group interview and didn't have a huge chance to prove myself to the committee. I'm hoping they are able to see my strengths and potential through what I was able to say and through my application. Do you know how many students are getting accepted this year? And on the wait list? Thanks!

Just got an email saying my admissions decision would be available at 5 pm... anyone else get that?

Just got an email saying my admissions decision would be available at 5 pm... anyone else get that?
Yess. I'm nervously procrastinating, but I guess I should go check it out, assuming that's 5pm EST.

Edit: Waitlisted! It's not a straight rejection, so I'll take it, lol.

Last edited:
I am also wait listed.... So nervous this is my number one choice!

I got accepted too! I'm almost definitely attending

Reactions: 3 users
I'm also accepted!!! I'm pretty sure I'll be attending as well. I'm gonna wait and see what my scholarship amount will be. I'm so excited :D

Definitely attending and yeah hoping for a good scholarship amount !

Also accepted and most likely attending!!!

Hey guys, got the acceptance today! I'm really thrilled..going to see what the scholarship amount is and make the decision. I really fell in love at the interview and coming from NY, Boston is incredibly appealing.

Even coming from NY, the prices of apartments on craigslist seem a bit scary, as I will be funding this entirely by loans. I know on the MGH website it states the cost of attendance is ~$24,792 per two semesters. Am I right in my calculations that over the 9 semesters the cost of living will be ~$115,500? That seems high, but considering it's basically a trimester program I don't know exactly how to calculate it. Is this what you guys figured? This is going to be a huge factor in my decision.

Everyone I spoke to at the interview was super cool. Congrats to all who were accepted and good luck in the decision making process!

Also, anyone else here a male? lol

Sorry, I'm not a guy! I was doing some researching today too after getting my acceptance and wanted to cry a little when I realized a 2bed apartment in Boston is the same amount of money as my 5bed home in Georgia. However, once I calculated that I will have roommates and would like to keep my amount at about $1500 or less per month, for 36 months, that's $54,000 which isn't as terrible as they calculated. I'll also be paying for my living expenses with loan money but I'm also considering that I'll be saving around $500 a month by not having a car payment/gas money.

Last edited:
Accepted also!! 99% sure I'm attending; fell in love with it after interview day!

Does anyone know if there will be a facebook page or some way to connect with those admitted? I need a roommate!

Does anyone know if there will be a facebook page or some way to connect with those admitted? I need a roommate!

I hope so! I'll be needing a roommate as well! I'm also not too familiar with the Boston area, so I'm not too sure where I want to live yet. My sister has a place in Cambridge (near Davis Square), but that's quite far from campus.

Does anyone know if the majority of the courses are really pass/fail? Or do you have the choice of taking them pass/fail? I am looking at the curriculum online, and when I click on the description of a course, most say pass/fail next to them. I don't remember this being mentioned on interview day, but I might have missed it!

I don't remember hearing that either. I kind of doubt they are, though, because in order to keep the MGH scholarship money you need to maintain a 3.0

I don't remember hearing that either. I kind of doubt they are, though, because in order to keep the MGH scholarship money you need to maintain a 3.0
That's a good point. It's just strange that on the website it says pass/fail next to so many courses if that isn't the case?

Is anyone else here trying to decide between BU and MGH or have any input? Thanks!!

Just submitted my deposit yesterday! Can't believe this is real life!! If any current students are willing to chat and answer some questions please let me know. Leads on housing anywhere nearby would be awesome, too :)

Can any current students weigh in on the pros/cons of living in or around Boston? If I choose MGH, I could potentially live with family in Massachusetts, but they are located closer to Worcester. There is a commuter rail station nearby. I grew up in MA, so I'm familiar with the public transit, but can anyone tell me if this is reasonable?

Does someone official create a facebook group or can anyone? Based on the "Newly Admitted Students" info I know there will be a forum on D2L, but I haven't gotten any login info for that yet, and I want to nail down housing ASAP.

Can any current students weigh in on the pros/cons of living in or around Boston? If I choose MGH, I could potentially live with family in Massachusetts, but they are located closer to Worcester. There is a commuter rail station nearby. I grew up in MA, so I'm familiar with the public transit, but can anyone tell me if this is reasonable?

I am a current 1st year student. A lot of people in my class are from MA and the ones that can live at home and commute to save money do. It is kind of a pain to have to plan your schedule by commuter rail because they don't run very often when it's not rush hour and they aren't always on schedule, but the students in my class who do it have made it work. Access to a car makes this a little better if you feel like driving instead of taking the train. (but parking near school can be pricey) I am not from the area and I live off the orange line in JP. Most of my classmates live closer to the school (back bay, fenway, north end, charlestown), one lives in Chelsea, and the rest are in Cambridge/Somerville. One girl in our class has a family and they live in Wakefield and she bikes in almost every day. My suggestion would be to try living with family over the summer and move to the city for the fall semester/year if that is not ideal.

In response to the questions about pass/fail classes....basically the way it works is you have to get an 80 in every course to pass (and stay in the program). If you are struggling and not passing, teachers will help you with extra resources/attention and give you the opportunity to re-take tests or re-do assignments if necessary. They don't want you to fail so really failure isn't an option (if that makes sense). Also, because the program is still new, professors are constantly revising assignments or modifying the curriculum. They will throw out test questions that the majority of the class misses and ask us for feedback every semester on how to improve. We have noticed changes from semester to semester and seen our feedback implemented which is actually really cool!

I am a current 1st year student. A lot of people in my class are from MA and the ones that can live at home and commute to save money do. It is kind of a pain to have to plan your schedule by commuter rail because they don't run very often when it's not rush hour and they aren't always on schedule, but the students in my class who do it have made it work. Access to a car makes this a little better if you feel like driving instead of taking the train. (but parking near school can be pricey) I am not from the area and I live off the orange line in JP. Most of my classmates live closer to the school (back bay, fenway, north end, charlestown), one lives in Chelsea, and the rest are in Cambridge/Somerville. One girl in our class has a family and they live in Wakefield and she bikes in almost every day. My suggestion would be to try living with family over the summer and move to the city for the fall semester/year if that is not ideal.

Thanks so much for the reply! It was really helpful. What is the courseload like the first summer semester? I know there are only two classes for seven credits, but does this translate to 2 days a week of class? 3? Just wondering because I will probably commute from my parents' house for the summer semester, then move into a new place in the fall.

Thanks so much for the reply! It was really helpful. What is the courseload like the first summer semester? I know there are only two classes for seven credits, but does this translate to 2 days a week of class? 3? Just wondering because I will probably commute from my parents' house for the summer semester, then move into a new place in the fall.

During the summer we had courses 4 days a week. Mon, Tu we had 1 class for 3 hours, Wed we had anatomy lab for 3.5 hours, and Thurs we had both classes (anatomy and intro) for a total of 5 hours. Although it doesn't sound like much work, the semester was demanding and those of us do who work part-time didn't start until the fall semester.

How to be accepted off of MGH's waitlist two weeks before the start of classes:
1) Call to inquire about said waitlist and be informed that cohort is essentially filled.
2) Be ready to attend a different program. Turn in all paperwork and finally submit deposit.
3) Receive an acceptance email from MGH less than 24 hours later.

Somebody pinch me.

I received an interview today for February 5th for this program. I haven't seen any recent threads regarding this program. Has anyone else received an interview invitation yet? Does anybody know how many students they accept from those interviewed?

do you have any tips on the interview for upcoming students?

They are great about reading through your resume and application and asking questions that relate to them. Classic interview questions (how have you handled conflict, how is your major relevant), but tailored to your resume. If it's the same as last year, you'll be with one faculty member and one or two other applicants. Random order of who answers each question first. Breathe, you will be fine.

There will be a lunch/mixer event. Make sure you mingle and talk to professors and staff.