Jan 8, 2021
I got into the OTD programs at MGH and Tufts, and have to decide on a school this weekend. I'm currently leaning towards Tufts because they seem to have a good alumni network and support for students on campus, but they don't have interprofessional education like MGH does. Does anyone have any opinions/advice when it comes to deciding between these two schools?

Nov 3, 2020
I didn’t apply to tufts, but I applied to MGH. Something you can definitely consider is cost! I’m not sure what your financial situation is, but both schools are very expensive so if one offered you financial aid, that would definitely be a big factor in decided for me. For me, I was offered about a 75% scholarship at MGH which made it very affordable.

I don’t really think you could go wrong with either program. I think both MGH and Tufts have really good programs. But like you said, MGH does have the interprofessional education which is a pretty unique experience that most people don’t get.

I really think if you’re deciding between the two, try to think of which one makes the most sense logically (which one will give you the most out of your OT experience for what you pay), but then think about the interviews. Which one made you feel the most comfortable (both the students and faculty). I hope this helps a little!

Reactions: 1 user
Dec 18, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Occupational Therapy
I didn’t apply to tufts, but I applied to MGH. Something you can definitely consider is cost! I’m not sure what your financial situation is, but both schools are very expensive so if one offered you financial aid, that would definitely be a big factor in decided for me. For me, I was offered about a 75% scholarship at MGH which made it very affordable.

I don’t really think you could go wrong with either program. I think both MGH and Tufts have really good programs. But like you said, MGH does have the interprofessional education which is a pretty unique experience that most people don’t get.

I really think if you’re deciding between the two, try to think of which one makes the most sense logically (which one will give you the most out of your OT experience for what you pay), but then think about the interviews. Which one made you feel the most comfortable (both the students and faculty). I hope this helps a little!
75% scholarship is amazing, congrats!! Would you mind giving me some insight into your stats? Cost is going to be my main determinant so I would love to know if I even have a shot at one! :)

About the Ads
Nov 3, 2020
75% scholarship is amazing, congrats!! Would you mind giving me some insight into your stats? Cost is going to be my main determinant so I would love to know if I even have a shot at one! :)
Hi! Sure, I don’t mind sharing my stats!

School: University of Maryland
Major: Kinesiology
Cum. GPA: 3.989
Pre req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V-158 Q- 155 Writing- 5.0
Observation hours: 86 hours (between outpatient peds and school-based)
Experience: Student coordinator for a tutoring program at UMD, program coordinator for a peer mentor program at UMD, camp counselor for kids with disabilities, & other smaller volunteer/leadership experiences.

I hope this helps!

Nov 19, 2020
I'm choosing between Tufts and MGH too! The costs are similar to me - MGH is slightly more expensive than Tufts with my scholarships but I think I'm still going to go the MGH. If you haven't received a scholarship yet I sadly don't think that you will get one, they let you know when you are accepted how much they are giving you.

I'm strongly leaning towards MGH because of the interdisciplinary study, they have more simulated client experiences (where they bring actors in), and I like their electives, which are a requirement unlike Tufts. You should note that the interdisciplinary study is more hospital/medical based practice I believe, according to the students I've talked to, although simulated client experiences vary from mental health to hospital based to other I believe. Tufts is just starting their simulated client program, so you they do have that component, but I believe less so than MGH. If you're more interested in community based practice I would say Tufts would have the best connections and experiences for you. If you want to work in a hospital MGH probably has the upper hand. But both programs will prepare you for all sorts of environments, so either is a great option!

I hope this helps! Good luck deciding, I know that the Tufts deadline is today. Feel free and message me directly if you want to talk more.

Jan 8, 2021
I'm choosing between Tufts and MGH too! The costs are similar to me - MGH is slightly more expensive than Tufts with my scholarships but I think I'm still going to go the MGH. If you haven't received a scholarship yet I sadly don't think that you will get one, they let you know when you are accepted how much they are giving you.

I'm strongly leaning towards MGH because of the interdisciplinary study, they have more simulated client experiences (where they bring actors in), and I like their electives, which are a requirement unlike Tufts. You should note that the interdisciplinary study is more hospital/medical based practice I believe, according to the students I've talked to, although simulated client experiences vary from mental health to hospital based to other I believe. Tufts is just starting their simulated client program, so you they do have that component, but I believe less so than MGH. If you're more interested in community based practice I would say Tufts would have the best connections and experiences for you. If you want to work in a hospital MGH probably has the upper hand. But both programs will prepare you for all sorts of environments, so either is a great option!

I hope this helps! Good luck deciding, I know that the Tufts deadline is today. Feel free and message me directly if you want to talk more.
Thank you! I ended up choosing MGH! They gave me a better scholarship than Tufts, and I'm hoping to work in a hospital so I figured MGH would have better resources for me. Good luck with your decision as well!

Jan 8, 2021

Thank you! It was hard to get a feel for the environment of the schools, especially since we can't visit in person and Tufts doesn't have interviews, but I did like the faculty at my MGH interview. I ended up going with MGH! (mostly because they gave me a better scholarship, but also for the interprofessional education)

Nov 3, 2020
Thank you! It was hard to get a feel for the environment of the schools, especially since we can't visit in person and Tufts doesn't have interviews, but I did like the faculty at my MGH interview. I ended up going with MGH! (mostly because they gave me a better scholarship, but also for the interprofessional education)
That’s awesome! I will be attending MGH as well! I look forward to getting to know you :)

Nov 19, 2020
Congratulations!! Actually, I ended up choosing Tufts last minute... I decided they would offer me more leadership opportunities I'm looking for with the service learnings and the cost was a bit better :) Good luck in your program!

Nov 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Rehab Sci [General]

Hi there! Wondering if you could offer more insight into how you secured such a generous scholarship. Did you apply for this? Seriously, outstanding work and hats off to you however you did it. I am currently grappling with these big, scary numbers...

Nov 3, 2020
Hi there! Wondering if you could offer more insight into how you secured such a generous scholarship. Did you apply for this? Seriously, outstanding work and hats off to you however you did it. I am currently grappling with these big, scary numbers...
Hello! I really wish I could tell you how it happened, but I’m really not sure. When I was accepted into MGH’s program, they included in the acceptance email that I received a scholarship based on my academic achievements! A few days later I got the scholarship information email with the amount and I was completely blown away.

I really feel like I just got so lucky and I am really thankful that I was given the scholarship because I agree, the initial cost was the number one reason why I was hesitant to go!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.