MHA MHA Advice (Fall 2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoogleKing123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I would like some advice from anyone who has any information regarding the MHA degree. I would like to apply for a Master in Healthcare Administration program but I'm concerned about succeeding in the field without attending a "brand name" master program. I am looking into the residential MHA program at Seton Hall University in NJ; they have just received an initial CAHME Accreditation for three years. The other program I'm somewhat interested in is Columbia's MPH in Health Policy & Management. I know that the Columbia degree would open many doors, but I'm not sure I want to get into more debt than I already am. Is Columbia worth it or should I stick with Seton Hall and save money? Eventually I'd like to hold an executive position at a hospital. Help please!

I really appreciate anyone's feedback! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Management at Columbia is transitioning to an MHA degree rather than MPH. Not sure if this is occurring this fall or next fall. My total debt for Columbia without housing costs was about 80k. It was convenient for me already being a NY'er but I am still on the fence whether the cost was truly worth it.

80K is a lot of money. Although there is a lot of competition, the earning potential seems to be worth the debt.

Anyone else familiar with Seton Hall's newly accredited MHA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just going to be honest.

1) I wouldn't go to Seton Hall under any circumstances
2) I wouldn't go to a newly accredited program
3) I don't know why you think Seton Hall will be significantly cheaper, Seton Hall is private and hilariously expensive
4) You need to set yourself up to be in the best position to succeed. The brand name of Columbia or Cornell if you have to stay in the NY area will go a lot further than Seton Hall
5) Unless you absolutely have to stay, like you're taking care of a dying relative or something, I would move to attend a program that is the right combination of quality and price. The top tier MHA programs are basically all state programs and are, in general, significantly cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for starting this thread. I was reading through the older forums and wonder if benchmarks have changed so decided to add to the 2015 forum. I want to work in healthcare administration, ideally C-suite executive. Here are my stats and interested schools:

GPA: 3.27 BSPH Environmental Health Sciences from UNC-Chapel Hill
GMAT: 710, 92%, V 40, 91%, Q 48, 74%, AW 5, 60%, IR 5, 52%
3 Recs: 2 professional, 1 academic and professional
2+ yrs work experience as social/clinical research assistant and project coordinator at public health research institution
Schools: UNC, Georgetown, JH, UMich, Carnegie Mellon, NYU, BU, Columbia, Cornell, UMD, Penn State, VCU

I'm interested in MHA/MBA dual degree programs. If I had to choose one of the two, I'm leaning towards MHA over MBA with healthcare focus.

Are there any thoughts about likelihood for acceptance to any of the named schools?
Based on others' experience, what were your thoughts on MHA vs. MBA in terms of quality of education and career paths?

Thanks for your help!

I received my MHA 20 years ago from a solid (though not top rated) program. My husband is a surgeon, but his Undergraduate degree is in International Business and he worked a few years before going to Med school. He is extremely savvy and knowledgable about all his financials and issues of a business nature and is uniformly unimpressed with the administrators he works with (did I mention he was a surgeon :rolleyes:) He is considering getting an administrative/management degree and he will only consider the MBA. As far as he's concerned, the MHA is not nearly as credible. Needless to say, this has caused us to butt heads a bit. But, I think his opinion expresses a bias that those with business backgrounds often have- that MBA>MHA. I wonder if any of you agree?