MHA vs. MPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingdoctor13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any substantial difference between pursuing an MPA degree (with an emphasis in health management) or an MHA degree? I plan on getting my MD as well, and wanted to use the masters degrees to be able to either head up a hospital or open up my own practice. Or should I pursue my MD first then a business degree such as this?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if there was any substantial difference between pursuing an MPA degree (with an emphasis in health management) or an MHA degree? I plan on getting my MD as well, and wanted to use the masters degrees to be able to either head up a hospital or open up my own practice. Or should I pursue my MD first then a business degree such as this?

Why not get an MBA instead? If you're opening a practice up you really don't need either of them. An MPA is not particularly useful.

That sounds like an excellent idea. Do you think its better to do a combined program or after med school? Do you still need the work experience required to apply for an MBA program if I did it after med school? I don't have the work experience right now, that is why I was thinking MHA or MPA before of after med school.

I'm a big fan of biz education but you certainly don't need a business degree to open your own practice. It may even be disadvantageous in some cases...if you view everything from a "big business" perspective and fail to grasp the small business dynamics by which most private practices operate. That being said, having the depth of knowledge provided by an MBA is still great. I think an MSHCA/MHA can be helpful if you want to go to a hospital, integrated delivery system, management service organization, or other such environment.... but again, I wouldn't say it's a requirement. If you love medicine, get the MD first, then figure out what type of business angle you want to go with and whether a biz education is an added benefit. That's just my two cents, if you find it helpful. Thanks.