MHA vs. MPH with health administration focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamsicle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would there really be any difference between the two programs?

Members don't see this ad.

bump. i have the same question. i mostly applied to mph programs with a health administraiton focus, but certain schools pushed me in the direction of the mha (either from my personal statement or lack of post-undergraduate work experience).

is there a major difference in terms of what education i'd be getting or the career opportunities following the degree?

I can speak only for the Executive MPH program at UNC, but I feel that because many of the classes are paired with the MHA program we get a tremendous amount of administrative material. It certainly has its advantages - I doubt I would have had as much Finance in a standard MPH program or learned as much about management styles and corporate influence. However, the downside is that I have fewer classes in environmental/international public health than I would have liked...

Members don't see this ad :)
The MHA is much more business focused than the MPH which is more public health based. You are required to take biostatistics, epid., environmental health, etc. MHA is modeled off of the MBA program and is concentrated on finance, marketing, strategic management.

I graduated with a BS degree in public health with a concentration in health administration and I'm hoping to get my MHA soon.

I can speak only for the Executive MPH program at UNC, but I feel that because many of the classes are paired with the MHA program we get a tremendous amount of administrative material. It certainly has its advantages - I doubt I would have had as much Finance in a standard MPH program or learned as much about management styles and corporate influence. However, the downside is that I have fewer classes in environmental/international public health than I would have liked...

Thanks. I think that helps a lot.

I've heard of people having an MPH with the health policy management focus get jobs that people with the MHA can get. As long as you take classes related to IT, finance/accounting, HR, health economics, then you can get any job within the health services administration field. I say this b/c my friend's cousin graduated from Emory wiht an MPH concentrating in health policy and management and she got a health administrative fellowship to Emory Healthcare in Atlanta.

If the MPH degree program is accredited by CAHME, it is equivalent to an MHA. A few of these programs are UC-Berkley, UCLA, & Yale...just to name a few.

Hello,

A good MPH program will no doubt offer some courses in health care management.However,if you really want
the best preparation for managing a clinic, my suggestion would be to pursue an MHA. However, if you feel
that you might not remain in health care your entire career, the MBA with MPH would be a better choice.
Most MHA programs offer some coursework in public health, and most MPH programs offer some coursework
in business administration. An MHA program or an MBA with a concentration in public health and/or health
care would combine both the public health courses and the business courses.

heylos everyone!!!
searching for info in MPH & MHA... i m finding MHA a more lucrative option for me owing to my academic interests. can all you people help me ... please...all suggestions and advices are welcome.

1. firstly, what is more advisable a dual degree of Masters in healthcare administration with MBA or just Masters in healthcare administration?

2. which universities are best suited for MHA if asked to be arranged chronologically?

I am going through the MPH/MHA quandary right now, but if you're doing a dual degree I would steer away from a MBA/MHA dual as opposed to an MBA/MPH in my personal opinion. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with an MBA/MHA and you probably will get some awesome job offers from it, but just be prepared to take a lot of the same courses twice. I guess it really depends on the course sequence you take in either degree because no MBA and MHA program are *exactly* the same, but I feel generally that's the case. As far as the sequence for the MBA vs MPH/MHA, not to be ambiguous, it depends. Some schools have joint MBA/MPH programs like Emory, Johns Hopkins, and UCB. In my case I am finishing my MBA right now and am looking on starting my MPH in fall. The joint degrees are awesome, but I'm glad I am doing the sequence the way I have because my employer is paying for most of the MBA. I feel in my personal situation that doing the MBA first is advantageous. By having the MBA I feel that when I'm applying for internships and ultimately residency/fellowships during my MPH that I will have a competitive advantage because I can show that I have the business foundations here and now, while I am learning health foundations in the MPH.