Mha

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcf4141

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how hard is it to get into MHA programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a new poster, and I was kind of wondering the same about MHA programs. I've been browsing around the forums on SDN for a couple of weeks and haven't found very much insight into MHA/MHSA programs.

I was recently (just yesterday) admitted to the GWU MHSA program, but still waiting to hear back from SLU MHA and UIC MHA programs. I've been having a lot of trouble getting in touch with the admissions staff at both universities and it is becoming an increasingly frustrating process. I was emailed almost a month ago about an interview with SLU and I sent them all my availability and no one has gotten back to me yet... and UIC is just a big mystery.

I have to give GW an answer by April 28th and I'm starting to get nervous! I'd love to go to GW but obviously cost is a huge issue. Does anyone else have any more insight about MHA programs, particularly at these 3 schools? Any info/feedback about the programs or the admissions process at SLU and UIC I'd really appreciate it.

hey, can you post your stats? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Boston University '07 Major: Psychology Minor: Public Health
GPA: 2.8 (I was premed my first two years and it definitely hurt me. I pretty much aced all my courses with the Public Health Minor most of which were with BUSPH).

GRE: 730 Math 500 Verbal

Work Experience: Chicago Health Corps - 1 year Americorps National Direct program - working with a non profit health agency in Chicago running health ed programs in Chicago Public Schools. Afterwards I was hired on full time to run another project with the same agency that works within the Cook County Health System (one of the largest in the country).

I had really solid recommendation letters and I worked on my personal statement for months.

I think that's it! I hope it's helpful!

I have got accepted to UIC last week and A&M the week before that, but I am still waiting on Trinity. I have an interview next week. I was super excited about UIC because I went to school in Texas and want to go somwhere different, but they are not CAHME accredited yet. I am under the gun to to respond back to A&M and UIC requires a $150 deposit. My major worry about UIC is the CAHME accreditation. Does anyone know how important that is in an MHA program?

Oh and to answer the original question, to my understanding MHA programs are easier to get into than MBA programs because they are more specialized, and not as many people apply for them. It also depends on where you apply to. You should have leadership experience and healthcare experience, and decent grades. I feel like they look more at your experience though than academics.

lets say I have a 3.8+ gpa...and a few leadership experiences, and an internship within healthcare administration......I come from a small unrecognized state school.....how much will that play a factor in the decision process?

I totally agree, experience is everything for these types of programs and obviously the other components to your applications (Recs Personal statements, etc) play a good size role as well.

Something else to really think about when applying to MHA programs that I took into account when applying to schools...

MHA programs with business schools (i.e. Northwestern's) or a medical center (Rush University) will give you you a different perspective than a program attached to an SPH school. If you want to have more of a public health influence with your degree I recommend looking for programs that are part of Public Health Schools.

I haven't heard back from UIC yet, I'm thinking about going with GW though. I'm from Chicago and currently work right around the campus, I could go for a change.

which do you think is better, an MHA attached to the B-school or an MHA attached to a PublicHealth school? It seems to me like the MHA attached to SPH is more reputable, is this the case? thanks