MHC MSW or MFT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Program sound best with my interests and Goals?

• Marriage and Family (MFT)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mental Health Counselor (MHC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clinical Social Work (LCSW)

• Counseling Psychology

• Total voters

CampDeeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, Me Again

Soooo Still in the quest of figuring out Grad School Programs.
Little Background:
Impending B.A in Psychology with a minor in Human Sexuality from Cal State Northridge ( I gain this in May sooo excited lol. This is also means I am in California but Okay relocating to other west coast states)
GPA is at a 2.93 as of right now but it can go up soon and I will make sure it does.
I haven't taken the GRE and I really don't want to but I feel it might be a necessity.
I have two internships right now: One in Depression/Sucide Awareness another in Sexual Health and Overall Wellness etc.
Goal in all this is to work with children and families/couples. This includes: Counseling/Educational purposes(assesments Possible IEPs Academic Achievement)/ Working with things like Depression, Anxiety, Grief, Divorce/Marital/Relationship issues, Infertility/Adoption situations that type of things
I'm in my late 20s, close to 30 so I don't want to be in school too much longer..

Considering the title of this thread, I am highly considering these. School Counseling/School Psych is another thought but I dont know if it will cross the goals I have.
I recently came across Mental Health Counseling and found that it fits everything I want to do and more but there are concerns; same with Social Work

So Questions:
1) Is getting the MHC worth it especially in California? I keep hearing that it isnt or that it wont make much or something like that so can this became a license that is accesible given a good accredited program?

2) Is Social Work the way to go? I know the opinion of like every Social Worker/Former SW Student and more alike say its the bees knees and all that but I have high concerns about the classes within the program. I want a program that is so clinical it hurts and the only one is University of So Cal aka USC. Even then the classes that I see aren't jumping out at me and I dont want to go into something and not be intrigued by what I am learning in route to my career.

3) Can MFTs do other things besides Private Practive? I get that notion from others too that MFT isnt a good idea or that thats all they do, there is limitations etc. Is this true would getting the MFT/LPC be a good idea instead?

Sorry for the long post I just want to narrow this down but also pick the closest program that is right for me =)

Members don't see this ad.

Um I think this question may be better asked on the Mental Health and Social Welfare thread

PsychMajorUndergrad18 Do you know if there is a way to move it to the other forum ? :D