Miami Beach Housing ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kornphan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here going to UM that lives on Miami Beach (not South beach).. closer to I195 ?. I have a chance to get an apartment there and want to know if any students live in this area and the commute to UM everyday. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

korndawg

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am going to UM next year. The two most popular areas for med students are Miami Beach and Brickell, so yes, many students commute from MB to UM.

Make sure that you like the area that the apartment is in, because not all of MB is so hot. Personally, I'm looking to get an apartment on SoBe, because even thought it costs a lot ($900/1000 mth for studio)...you are close to all the restaurants, bars, etc.

Peace,

Marmot

hey miamimarmot,
thanks for the advice. i will most likely end up staying in MB near I195. are you moving from out of town or are you from miami? thanks again.

korndawg

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if y'all are from Miami or not, but I would NOT advise getting an apartment ON SoBe. It's just way too congested and busy an atmosphere for a studious med student. Know what I mean? :p

What I might do, is get an apartment or rent a room in Coconut Grove or Coral Gables and take the Metro Rail to the med school. (There's no parking there anyway.) A friend who started UM Med last year did exactly that and he loves it.

A little off topic here, but what the heck. Marmot and korn: have you guys received alot of info from Miami (ex. orientation packets that state the time and place we meet?) after being accepted. I got accepted a little over 2 weeks ago, and all I have received from them is the web address that states the info about the health forms, where to live in Miami, etc. Have you guys received any financial assistance packages yet? Thanks!!!
Cane

Canes2006,

I haven't received anything from UM except the information pertaining to the website. hopefully we'll get some stuff soon. see ya in miami, and congrats on the acceptance!

kornphan

•••quote:•••Originally posted by blkdawn:
•I don't know if y'all are from Miami or not, but I would NOT advise getting an apartment ON SoBe. It's just way too congested and busy an atmosphere for a studious med student. Know what I mean? :p

•••••does north miami beach get crazy too? i mean as bad as SoBe? from what I gathered it didn't seem as busy or hectic as SoBe? thanks.

Some of you might want to try South of Red road and into the Kendall areas. You can, if I recall, catch the metro into the school if you are close by. Thereby avoiding heavy traffic up US1.

Joe
UM 1986-BM

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kornphan:
•Canes2006,

I haven't received anything from UM except the information pertaining to the website. hopefully we'll get some stuff soon. see ya in miami, and congrats on the acceptance!

kornphan•••••Thanks korn!! :) I was getting a little anxious because I thought I was really behind you guys in terms of receiving information from Miami. I'll see ya soon and enjoy the rest of your summer. :wink:

Korn,

Sorry, but I'm from the Kendall area myself. I don't know too much about NMB, but I have a few friends who are there now and who recently graduated. I'll try and find out and get back to you.

Dawn

•••quote:•••Originally posted by blkdawn:
•Korn,

Sorry, but I'm from the Kendall area myself. I don't know too much about NMB, but I have a few friends who are there now and who recently graduated. I'll try and find out and get back to you.

Dawn•••••Thanks! I appreiciate it.

Does anyone know about the Parking situation at Jackson ?.. I am planning to drive there everyday. Also I have heard that living elsewhere and taking the Metro is great for the first two years then its a big problem as you work late into the night...something to consider.

peace..
korn

korn,
Most med students park at the Highland Garage. Parking is available anywhere on that garage before 9 am (the other garages at Jackson go alot earlier). However, after 9 am parking there may get a little intense. You might only find parking on the penthouse of Highland, which really sucks because it is on the top floor and has no roof. Your car will be steaming by the time you get back to your car. Believe me. I speak from experience. :D Also, parking is $8 per day, but med students get a discount for parking (I think $58.50 per month). Hope this helps. :)

on a side note, does anyone know what our schedule will be like freshman year? is it like a 9-5 thing? thanks!

korndawg

I think we have a 9-5 thing on average three times a week. On other days, we may get out at 12 or 2 or 3 (it just depends). They have a week by week set up of this past first year's schedule on the "New Curriculum" page. PM me if you can't find it.

Im a rising second year at UMSM(if thats what you call it), and I parked at dominion parking garage all last year. Its close, and half full, so there should be plenty of parking. It costs a little more and its not really through the school, but its convienient and half of our class parked there. As far as living, I had a good friend in class live right near I195. I actually lived right next to lincoln road in south beach. I195 is a nice area, I almost moved there. Its not as crowded as the southern part of Miami beach, and the traffic on I195 is not bad at all. It did get very crowded where I lived, especially in season during the winter and when they had big conventions. I did have alot of fun though. If your going to drive, kendall is really far with traffic. Most people that live there take the metro rail. Miami beach, on the other hand, tends to get expensive not only rent but all the restaurants, etc. But it is great to experience miami beach, if only for one year. We also go out as a class alot on Miami beach, so its pretty close to the party spots.

Hope that Helps.