Miami Campus Selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unfrozencaveman

not a dude
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, sorry I know I've asked this before, but I never got a very clear answer. Nor is the secondary providing me with one-

Does anyone know how the campus selection works at UM? I would prefer Miami, but I don't want to not be considered for the seats at FAU as well. Do I select Miami campus or no preference?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm selecting no preference.

From Miami's site:

"Students wishing to start medical school in the UMSM@FAU program must apply to the University of Miami School of Medicine through AMCAS and make their desire to be a part of this program known to the Admissions Office at the time they complete the web-based secondary application. The 32 spaces at UMSM@FAU will be filled with students who are admitted to the University of Miami School of Medicine via the regular admissions process and who designate the FAU site as their preference at which to begin their medical studies. Accepted students who have an affinity to Boca Raton or the West Palm Beach area of Florida will be given preference for any remaining seats. Later in the year, applicants who are on the alternate list will be given the choice of attending UMSM@FAU as spaces become available, or to continue waiting on the alternate list for a position to open on the medical campus in Miami. Students who select one campus and then change their mind will be given an opportunity to switch campuses but only on a space available basis. All campus preferences must be finalized by July 1 of the entry year. Once the school year begins in August, transferring from once campus to the other will not be possible."

http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2600-1;31823-3,00.html

My concern after reading that online was that they would automatically put you at FAU if you selected no pref- because it seems like from that no one wants to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they intend to fill the Boca spots with people that prefer that campus first. Considering they only have about 30 students there I wouldn't worry too much about getting "stuck" there because you had no preference. The Miami adcom is very nice from what I hear so you could always call and ask them how it works.

I also get the impression it wouldn't be that difficult to switch campuses.

Did you get their secondary already then?

I haven't. My AMCAS was just verified today.

I got an email from them last week asking for preliminary info, sent that in over the weekend, and got the secondary today.

The FAU campus is perfectly nice, and I think the buildings where this program takes place are all new (although I haven't seen inside the facilities). The issue for me is mainly whether I would want to live in Boca Raton or Miami.
Boca is larger than you would think, but sprawling, and certainly not a young town. There is no downtown proper, and is kind of a typical Florida beach town (typical for the Palm Beaches, if that means anything to you). Great beaches. But, I'm sure on the FAU campus you don't have to take someone out for a parking spot- it's far more self contained than the miami campus which is in the middle of the city/hospital system.

Dont have much more insight than that- I've only driven by and kind of walked around both campuses.

I got an email from them last week asking for preliminary info, sent that in over the weekend, and got the secondary today.

What kind of prelim info? If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have to send with the secondary?

I was admitted to the 2009 class at Miami. From everything I went through during that process, you only end up at FAU if you want.
For those of you just going through the process now, good luck! Miami doesn't interview a lot of people so if you get an interview there then about 2/3 - 3/4 of people get admitted...so don't slack on the secondary! I loved the Miami campus and everyone there is so enthuiastic and friendly...but I decided on Vanderbilt.

I currently attend FAU in Boca for undergrad, and it is a decent campus. The medical buildings are new, and the inside is quite nice.

Unfrozencaveman: the reason I asked earlier about the secondary was that I got the prelim, but no secondary yet. I hope I get one soon, and that I got through the preliminary screen. My gpa is well below average (3.2), but my mcat is well above (36), so I wasn't sure if I'd get immediately cut but am still hoping for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greendot- no doubt you're still in good shape- your MCAT is above mine and my gpa isnt far above yours. Could be that I am a Miami postbacc- but no way you'll get cut with that MCAT.

The secondary is $65 I think

Thanks for the encouragement. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you down there one of these days.

unfrozencaveman said:
Greendot- no doubt you're still in good shape- your MCAT is above mine and my gpa isnt far above yours. Could be that I am a Miami postbacc- but no way you'll get cut with that MCAT.

The secondary is $65 I think

I'm waiting for the secondary too. Are you guys instate or out of state? How was the secondary? was it lengthy?

I'm outta state and crossing my fingers. Anyone else in my boat? I have good numbers but there aren't many spots.

This was the secondary from last year:

-What do you think of our website? How can we improve it?
-Why are you applying here?
-Community Work: organized activities performed for the benefit of the community (375 characters)
-Employment: work experiences during the past five years that have been unrelated to science or healthcare (375 characters)
-Counseling/Teaching/Leadership: activities as a leader, organizer, counselor, advisor, or teacher (375 characters)

yea im out of state.. its my top choice...

yea im out of state.. its my top choice...

It's at the top of my list too. Good luck man.

Yeah, I'm out of state with a not spectacular GPA (3.47 overall, 3.3 BCPM). MCAT high, lots of ECs, though. I got worried because I returned the pre-secondary thing at the end of last week and no word yet. I had read on the website that you need a 3.6 out of state to be competitive, and I didn't know if that was a hard and fast rule, or was flexible depending on your other stats.

Mike4284m said:
I'm outta state and crossing my fingers. Anyone else in my boat? I have good numbers but there aren't many spots.

This was the secondary from last year:

-What do you think of our website? How can we improve it?
-Why are you applying here?
-Community Work: organized activities performed for the benefit of the community (375 characters)
-Employment: work experiences during the past five years that have been unrelated to science or healthcare (375 characters)
-Counseling/Teaching/Leadership: activities as a leader, organizer, counselor, advisor, or teacher (375 characters)

There is also a 1900 character essay on your most significant experience in medicine to date.

So as of right now, only in-state residents have recieved a secondary so far?

i got one without sending the prelim info. they sent it right after my app got verified. im a fl resident if that matters?

Thanks for your input, caveman and greendot. I've decided to list the Boca campus as my preferred campus. The website says the biggest disadvantage to it is not being able to go to 'Cane games. I don't know how I'll survive two years of THAT, but somehow, I will. :rolleyes: :smuggrin: Anyone else picking Boca as your preferred campus?

Hook, there are a lot of questions on the secondary, but most of them are relatively short (a paragraph). Still, you might want to get started working on them. Mike and anyone else who is re-applying, you will also have to write an extra essay about what you have done to improve your app since the last time you applied.

Waterlily, it does seem like all of us who have received secondaries have been in-staters so far, so I don't think you out-of-staters should be worried. There's also about two pages of residency requirement questions that we in-staters have to fill out on the secondary, which I'd imagine you will get the luxury of skipping. ;)

QofQuimica said:
Thanks for your input, caveman and greendot. I've decided to list the Boca campus as my preferred campus. The website says the biggest disadvantage to it is not being able to go to 'Cane games. I don't know how I'll survive two years of THAT, but somehow, I will. :rolleyes: :smuggrin: Anyone else picking Boca as your preferred campus?

I'm listing the Miami campus precisely because I want to go to Cane games. I spent the last four years at an ivy league (read: CRAPPY FOOTBALL) so if I come back to Florida I sure as hell better get some good pigskin!

Tigerstang said:
I'm listing the Miami campus precisely because I want to go to Cane games. I spent the last four years at an ivy league (read: CRAPPY FOOTBALL) so if I come back to Florida I sure as hell better get some good pigskin!

Heh. When I started the postbacc program at UM my friend and I (me Penn, her Brown) went to our first UM football game- last year's Orange Bowl and just sat there in stunned silence the entire time. There were like, people there, and the players appeared to know what they were doing, you could buy beer, and we saw Nick Lachey. Now THAT's football.

Still, the FAU program is still kind of intriguing. And Q, to make up for that crippling disadvantage of being 40 extra minutes away from the stadium, they should also mention you will be down the street from one of the most gargantuan malls of all time.

To whoever asked, I am a Fl. resident, and no secondary as of yet. Fingers crossed ...

Tigerstang said:

I think the 'Canes would be my LEAST favorite college football team in the state, well behind the Gators, the 'Noles, and even the USF Bulls. :smuggrin: But I grew up in the Miami area, and I am definitely a Dolfan, mostly because of Dan Marino. ;)

unfrozencaveman said:
And Q, to make up for that crippling disadvantage of being 40 extra minutes away from the stadium, they should also mention you will be down the street from one of the most gargantuan malls of all time.

You can't be talking about Sawgrass; that's in Broward Co. So there's another huge one in Boca??? Oh the horror, the horror. :eek: It's not too late; maybe I'll switch my preference to the Miami campus. :p

Hey- about these little questions about hobbies and sports and whatnot.

How casually are you answering these? They seem to be asking for a fairly casual response here, right?

No- not the sawgrass- way more upscale and fancy. Shopping galore. And a Chick-fil-a! I actually really like Boca (my parents have a place there), so I wouldnt go running for the hills just yet.

unfrozencaveman said:
Hey- about these little questions about hobbies and sports and whatnot.

How casually are you answering these? They seem to be asking for a fairly casual response here, right?

There's only room for a paragraph for each, so you can't get into too much detail. Actually I keep having to edit mine to make them short enough to fit into the spaces. :rolleyes:

Mike and anyone else who is re-applying, you will also have to write an extra essay about what you have done to improve your app since the last time you applied.

I'm actually applying for the first time. Just pulled the questions from the secondary sticky above. :D

I'm out of state, had AMCAS verified yesterday, and got the prelim form via e-mail today.

Hey Guys,
I am currently a Biomed student in the MS grad program at FAU. We take gross anatomy with the med. students from UM that come here. I just started a month ago and have my last gross anatomy class exam tomorrow. I have met about 10-15 students that had to take gross anatomy again for whatever reason. Two things most of them had in common as far as their experience with UM and FAU for what its worth.

1. If they would "do it again" they would have gone to another medical school rather than UM. They Step 1 scores aren't as high as other state schools, it's expensive, and it's in the ghetto of Miami. However, if it's the only place you get into, why not. I definitely wouldn't be choosy.

2. If they had done their homework, they would have come to FAU's campus instead. Why? The facility is brand new, the labs are awesome, the professors are nicer, the area is nicer, less traffic. Pretty much every reason.

Therefore, I highly recommend coming to FAU to check out the campus before making any decisions as far as what campus to attend. I personally would much rather continue going here if I can get into UM for med school. Most of the med. students told me that the professors are a lot nicer for what it's worth. I came from UF which was a lot different and I love the campus here. Not to mention, the beach is about 2 miles away. Just my two cents. If you have any questions regarding the FAU campus, I'll be more than happy to let you know about it. If you do come here, I might be your TA for gross anatomy. We'll have to see who they pick. Take care.

Mike
[email protected]

ekimsurfer said:
If you do come here, I might be your TA for gross anatomy. We'll have to see who they pick. Take care.
Thanks for the input. I am definitely selecting FAU as my top choice of campus. Who are your professors? I mean, are they FAU profs? Would you say that the med students there have a good camaraderie?

QofQuimica said:
Thanks for the input. I am definitely selecting FAU as my top choice of campus. Who are your professors? I mean, are they FAU profs? Would you say that the med students there have a good camaraderie?

No prob. Yes, the professors are FAU professors now. I believe there are something like 4 or 5 MD profs. and the rest are PhD which is how I hear most med schools are. I think that a few of the professors actually transferred up here from Miami in order to get the med. school going here.

As for the med students here. They consider themselves "spoiled." The class size is sig. smaller in addition to all the other added bonuses that I discussed previously. If you asked me, FAU campus is the best pick. Wait till you get here and you will see.

Well, it's off.... Miami can put me at Jackson, FAU, or on the moon for all I care. Good luck everyone!

unfrozencaveman said:
Well, it's off.... Miami can put me at Jackson, FAU, or on the moon for all I care. Good luck everyone!

There's a branch campus on the moon??? Sign me up!!! :smuggrin: Seriously, I'm submitting mine in the morning. Good luck to you, too. :luck:

Just got the secondary today . . .