Miami.......gives you an opportunity to earn MD degree after dds or dmd.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phar

The Pacifist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to let you guys know.

Members don't see this ad.

you care to expand your statement a little bit more? I'm assuming you're refering to the OMFS residency at Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital with UM medical school (6-year, MD optional). Other than that, there was no where on the UM Medical school website stating anything about DDS/DMD graduate special admission routes into a MD program!?

Never heard of it.:confused:

Ummm... thanks. I'm sure you mean well, but if we wanted to be physicians, we would have applied to medical school. :)

If you are talking about oral surgery, there are multiple programs that offer the joint MD to those willing to complete the final 2 years of med school. Sounds like a lot of extra work to me. :laugh: :laugh:

Also, I think these programs stipulate that you finish your oral surgery residency. I don't think you can get your M.D. and then try to match into something like family practice. So in that sense it's really not an "out" for someone who decides they don't like dentistry. If anyone knows better, please correct me.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 3 paths for a dentist to get an MD

1) complete an OMFS residency (6 years)

2) get advanced standing and take last 2 years of med school

3) start med school from scratch

those are the ONLY 3 routes. There is no such thing as a program which gives dentists MDs without having to do more training (at LEAST 2 years, via med school, or 6 years w/o med school)

I followed 3rd path since I dropped out of dental school at the end of the second year.

Best regards,