Miami Miller MD/MPH vs. GW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med1212

Reaction score
GW: Pros
  • Would rather live in DC - love the city and it is close to friends / Significant other living in NYC
  • Have family members and friends already living in DC
  • built-in clinical public health curriculum
  • Want to get my dual MD/MPH and DC will help me access connections health policy and federally funded research institutions
  • Interesting extracurriculars such as volunteer clinics / advocacy organizations
  • pass/fail didactics and honors/pass/fail clinical
  • Milken School of PH
  • more diverse class
GW Cons:
  • higher tuition (~63k) / cost of living in DC
  • 5 years to get MD/MPH
  • Big class size 160-180
  • Clinical rotations around DC area (not on campus)
  • Step 1 before clinical rotations
  • Have heard school deans can get overwhelmed by # of students that need advice

Miami Pros:
  • pass/fail didactics
  • Symptom-based new curriculum
  • Lower cost of living in miami /lower tuition (52K)
  • MPH/MD 4 year integrated curriculum
  • Clinical curriculum before Step 1
  • Students seem very satisfied with faculty support / mentorship opportunites / research opportunities
Miami Cons:
  • Miami is far from family and friends / do not know anyone in miami
  • Have to move to WPB for 2nd year - MD/MPH clinicals are here to community health setting exposure
  • the school has many florida residents - I am from out of state
  • miami seems to be more of a regional school / I do not have any connections to FL

• These schools have comparable match lists. Students seem happy at both. The biggest draw to Miami is 4 year combined program/ family-like supportive environment that student's speak about. Biggest draws to GW are public health/policy opportunities incorporated into the curriculum and location / being closer to family / friends.

goals: I want to get my MD/MPH before residency. Interested in public health/health policy and want to incorporate this into my career eventually. Also interested in women's health / community health

Members don't see this ad.

So I am basically making the same choice and I LOVED GW (maybe slightly more than Miami due to Children's National) but I ultimately am gonna pick Miami because it is hard to beat the price of the program for the dual degree. I think Miami offers everything GW offers including advocacy and health policy, just more at a local level but with the MPH there's the opportunity to do work at the CDC etc... I really think it's hard to beat the dual degree in 4 years at that price. While GW is a better MPH program, you are going into medicine and not public health for a career so the ranking of the public health program is not as important. Just my two cents but I really do think Miami is stellar with ealry clinical exposure etc...

Reactions: 1 user
I think the above poster hit the nail on the head. The dual degree price is one of the best deals in the country!