Miami Miller vs Maryland vs UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdstu222

Reaction score
Hi all, thank you in advance for your input! I'm grateful to have been accepted to these schools but am having trouble weighing pros and cons so here goes (These would all be the same price for me tuition-wise btw).

Miami
Pros:
-P/F
-~1 yr preclinical
-diverse environment for interesting clinical opportunities
-opportunity to improve Spanish
-want to move to a bigger city
-good weather
-good match list
-students seem to have fun/had a good interview day
Cons
-Really far from home
-Not a huge fan of heat/humidity
-Lowest USNEWS ranking (not sure how much this matters)
-Prestige??

UMD
Pros
-
Higher ranking (probably biggest pro?)
-Starting Tiered P/F next year
-Central location to D.C./NY/family in Virginia
-Baltimore is still a new location for me
-Decent match
Cons
-
Haven't heard great things about baltimore
-Not true P/F
-Longest Pre-Clinical
-Students seem more nontraditional (I'm traditional)

UVA
Pros
-
P/F
-1.5 yr preclinical
-Charlottesville is beautiful
-Close to home
-Highest ranking/Prestige
-Good match

Cons
-My undergrad institution (want new location)
-Want to move to a bigger city

I guess ranking/prestige and location are 2 of the bigger factors for me, but I'm not sure how much they should really matter? Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, ranking/prestige aren't going to matter much between these schools (maybe UVA is slightly ahead). Looking at your pros and cons, it seems like you like both UVA and Miami better than U Maryland.

If you mostly care about ranking/prestige and location, go with UVA! Close to home, beautiful, and it’s probably the best school! Another 4 years in Charlottesville! Haha

Based on the curriculum, location, and clinical activities, I would exclude Maryland. UVA is slightly more prestigious than Miami, if that's something you truly care about. However, I don't think the difference between the two merits further consideration on that matter. I would instead focus on where you see yourself being happiest (location and proximity to home).

Florida is humid for about half the year, but November through April is absolutely beautiful. Miami is a gorgeous city and there's so much to do. Charlottesville is also beautiful but in its own way; it's also a bit quieter and more nature friendly than Miami.

Being close to family and friends is also a huge factor I would consider. While you're bound to find a strong support group in Miami, having one in Charlottesville already is convenient.

All three are great schools, and I think you would be happy at any one of them!