Miami PGY2 and PGY3 positions available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainBuff

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Miami is expanding their program from 8 residents to 10 residents per year and is currently seeking 1 applicant for a PGY2 and another one for a PGY 3 position.

Under Dr Sacco, from Columbia U, there appears to be a major push to make the residency program top notch. A new Neurocritical Unit was created as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Sacco is actively attempting to recruit Columbia faculty, fellows and residents to come down. He's still on faculty there and runs his big study on stroke risk factors in northern Manhattan, so the link between the two programs is firmly being maintained.

As for right now, not too many students would consider the residency program, but in a couple of years, who knows?

As for right now, not too many students would consider the residency program, but in a couple of years, who knows?

Where did you get that from? Walter Bradley made the program very competitive during the last decade and they have been getting students that they rank high on their lists. Sacco can only be better news but there have been enough students all alone that consider Miami for residency.

Duke and UF had plenty of unmatched positions this year...Miami, none available for scramble.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think she was referring to Columbia students. It is an assertion that can be easily verified or refuted by looking at the current UMiami residents. How many are from Columbia?

currently only their vascular fellowship is acgme certified.

all other are pending till 2009. this from the PD. not even an acgme neurophys (eeg or emg)right now. This threw up red flags for me.

The hospital is a dump and you better plan on living far away but the faculty is solid.

regardless it was a very popular program this year.

Zero. They're not pulling "top 10" med students down just yet... still plenty of FMGs too. But (as was noted) the faculty is solid and living in Miami will be an enormous pull for many, hence its popularity. It's not a "Southern Columbia" though, despite Dr Sacco's PR efforts to the contrary. :)

I think the training there would be solid in terms of exposure to various pathologies, especially given Miami's diverse population and referral base from Latin America/the Caribbean. Jackson is I think the 3rd largest hospital in the United States and is run accordingly-- from what I hear, be prepared to work!

I was recently considering the University of Miami PGY-2 for my Neurology training. It was the top of my list for a number of reasons until the very last minute when I decided to matriculate to a Chicago program secondary to family and other personal reasons. My impression of the UofM training program is that it is a stellar place to train and it is only getting bigger and more well known. The program director Dr. Isaacson is a huge asset to this flourishing program and in my personal opinion is ideal for his position and a good person overall. I was impressed with the faculty I met, the facilitites I visited, the city and most of all the direction and agenda of the program. I interviewed all over including many of the "top programs" but no place impressed me like Miami regarding its momentum heading into the future. My personal opinion: Top Tier training program--getting bigger and better--and as national reputation diffuses this place will be a premier program. This would be a great time to be part of something special. Highly recommend without reservation.

It's not a "Southern Columbia" though, despite Dr Sacco's PR efforts to the contrary. :)

Wow, what an obnoxious statement. The intent is not to create a "Southern Columbia" but a "Better Miami" :love:

Agree, but that's how Sacco is marketing it.

People in/from New York have extraordinary insecurity about leaving the city for any reason... like living here (or working here, or training here) is the apogee of existence from which any change represents failure. I think he's hyping up Miami up here so people won't think he sold out, or couldn't cut it, or whatever.

Which of course is entirely ridiculous, but that's the culture.

People in/from New York have extraordinary insecurity about leaving the city for any reason... like living here (or working here, or training here) is the apogee of existence from which any change represents failure. quote]

Wow...and I thought I had issues...:laugh:

not sure where you are getting your statistics from but i spoke to the program director and two other miami faculty at the AAN meeting. they matched 90% US grads this year and have a ton of fellowships. im a US grad, ranked Miami #1 this year and DID NOT match there (i got my number 2 and im totally fine with that though). the info below is copied from their online neuro-bulletin. based on what everyone else is saying who interviewed there this year and from the talk at this AAN residency/fellowship career forum, i agree with AVY that miami is one of the strongest programs around...

"This March, the Department submitted applications for ACGME-accreditation of our Sleep Medicine and Neuro­muscular Medicine Fellowship programs. Special thanks to Drs. Dalia Lorenzo, Ram Ayyar, Andy Brown and Violeta Maldonado for all of their help and time. With the Vascu­lar Neurology fellowship, we will now have three ACGME-accredited fellowships and more on the way.
While some of our current fellowships do not have an ac­creditation pathway through the ACGME (i.e. Movement Disorders, Multiple Sclerosis) we are currently accepting applications for addi­tional fellowships including NeuroCritical Care (July 2008), Neuro-Interventional (July 2010), Clinical Neuro­physiology (July 2009), and Neurorehabilitation."
http://neurology.med.miami.edu/Newsletter_Vol5issue1.pdf