Miami rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeeeroh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm trying go set up a rotation as a visiting MS4 in Miami. Does anyone know which hospitals are DO friendly in terms of accepting us as visiting students. And if anyone does, can you provide me with some contact information. I have been looking into Jackson memorial and can't find any contact info...they don't seem to be DO friendly either though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

if you're looking for a hospital with a bunch of DO residencies/fellowships, try Larkin. it's kind of in a weird part of town, but they have a lot of AOA GME programs...also Mt. Sinai is DO friendly and is more right downtown. also, if you don't mind being up in fort lauderdale instead of miami proper, Broward General is a huge facility. you'll see a lot of crazy things there, if that's your thing.

Larkin is the new program down there with supposedly a LOT of programs.... not sure about quality but there are a lot of options.

Had a couple classmates go to Jackson for anesthesia so it's certainly not off-limits for DOs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the replies! Would anyone know the contact number to Jackson Memorial hospital medical education department? I found the graduate medical education department online and called them last week, but they weren't any help and don't deal with medical students. If anyone has done a rotation there, how did you get that set up? Thanks!!

Thanks for all the replies! Would anyone know the contact number to Jackson Memorial hospital medical education department? I found the graduate medical education department online and called them last week, but they weren't any help and don't deal with medical students. If anyone has done a rotation there, how did you get that set up? Thanks!!

Did you try asking for the number of the clerkship director for the field in which you wish to rotate? There has to be someone the GME department can forward you to.

Last edited:
University hospital in tamarac is very DO friendly, but it's not really Miami I guess. I would say Westchester, and Larkin in Miami would be open to DO. Westchester is a partner with LECOM.

Palmetto, Larkin, Mount Sinai, Jackson Memorial are all DO friendly, and take DO into residency and Fellowship.

Jackson & Mount Sinai are Allopathic. And actually Mount Sinai has both Allopathic and Osteopathic Programs.

Good luck

Anyone rotated/completed training at Larkin? Seems like they are really dedicated to setting up AOA GME. Any insight?

Curious about the Spanish fluency question as well ...

Anyone rotated/completed training at Larkin? Seems like they are really dedicated to setting up AOA GME. Any insight?

Spanish fluency is imperative in Miami.

Wouldn't go there for any kind of training in a million years, trust me, if I had to resort to that place, I probably would have quit medicine all together given I didn't have any loans to pay.

Legit DO programs in So. FL for IM:

Broward- Solid program- level 1 trauma center with a huge ER. I did my third year core here, really organized with lots of stuff to go around, gets bad rep amongst nova students because you have to work hard, solid place otherwise, in downtown Ft.Lauderdale
Mt. Sinai: Really solid, you work hard again but apparently they are nicer than Broward from what I have heard. Right on South Beach so location is a plus for some.
Palmetto - you're attending's bitch but they do have crazy volume, you better know spanish to work here as 80% of patients only speak spanish.

Last edited:

1. Do not go to Larkin Hospital. The teaching is poor, the volume is poor, the (FM/IM) residents have a comically poor fund of knowledge, and the short balding guy who runs the hospital is insane. The short balding guy is nice to applicants but once you're a resident there you will be strong-armed into whatever he wants you to do. It is also a for-profit hospital so no PSLF. It's not too bad if you're interested in psych and want something to put on the bottom of the rank list.

2. If you want Mt. Sinai as an outside student, you should do multiple auditions there and have high enough scores.

3. If you are fluent in Spanish it will go a long way in Miami. If you rotate at Palmetto you must speak and understand at least an intermediate level of conversational Spanish. Palmetto is also a for-profit hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Do not go to Larkin Hospital. The teaching is poor, the volume is poor, the (FM/IM) residents have a comically poor fund of knowledge, and the short balding guy who runs the hospital is insane. The short balding guy is nice to applicants but once you're a resident there you will be strong-armed into whatever he wants you to do. It is also a for-profit hospital so no PSLF. It's not too bad if you're interested in psych and want something to put on the bottom of the rank list.

2. If you want Mt. Sinai as an outside student, you should do multiple auditions there and have high enough scores.

3. If you are fluent in Spanish it will go a long way in Miami. If you rotate at Palmetto you must speak and understand at least an intermediate level of conversational Spanish. Palmetto is also a for-profit hospital.

I searched the EM thread but didn't find many reviews. How is the Mt. Sinai DO EM program? Must be competitive being in Miami.

Thanks for the tips! Is Spanish as necessary in places like Ft Lauderdale (Broward) and West Palm Beach (I assume it's important as Mt. Sinai as well)?

Thanks for the tips! Is Spanish as necessary in places like Ft Lauderdale (Broward) and West Palm Beach (I assume it's important as Mt. Sinai as well)?

I would say it is not as necessary in Ft Lauderdale or West Palm, but still very helpful depending on the area. It's still South Florida. I haven't had any problems yet.

does anyone know any students who want to rent a room for my rotation at broward during september?

Thanks!!

Rotating at sinai miami now and it's SUPER competitive to get a residency spot here. Are you a 3rd or 4th year? If you are a 3rd year then it's way to early to get auditions for next year. If your a 4th year you are too late for most places. I got auditions set up at jackson through vsas. Easy and seamless.

Reactions: 1 user
Rotating at sinai miami now and it's SUPER competitive to get a residency spot here. Are you a 3rd or 4th year? If you are a 3rd year then it's way to early to get auditions for next year. If your a 4th year you are too late for most places. I got auditions set up at jackson through vsas. Easy and seamless.
What is your opinion of the clinical rotations at Mt. Sinai so far?

I'm at sinai now as well. Depends what you like. Everyone is different. It's a 900 bed tertiary care hospital. Multiple residencies. Experience is going to vary greatly depending on what department you rotate through.

Regarding the Spanish....it's helpful but not necessary. I speak absolutely no Spanish. There are enough staff around that do to help translate.

How is it that you got an audition through vsas when it states No DO applicants under jackson memorial