Miami Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterlily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you who have completed or in the process of completing the miami secondary, for the Non-medical Life experiences where they have a bunch of categories for you to write in with 375 character limit for each...did you just list the activities or did you write in sentence format and described briefly about each one?

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote in sentences although with that limit I could only write a few. I figure if they wanted me to elborate more they would have allowed for more space.

I put a list for employment and leadership stuff, and then prose for the rest (which seemed like far more casual questions... I hope)

Questions with nebulous directions scare me. I feel like I'm either coming off as a total idiot, or a complete robot.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your responses. I was looking over the app and I have a few more questions.

For Journalism, I have no experiences as a writer or editor in college but I did in high school. Should I include my high school experience then or is that too long ago that I shouldn't and they're only looking for college experiences.

Also, for Narrative 2. Why we want to go to Miami....wasn't that exactly the same prompt for the pre-secondary but worded differently?!?! I don't know what to do. did you guys straight out copy and paste, wrote something completely different, or just said the same thing but reworded it?

From what I have been told, it is best to leave high school experiences out, BUT they do ask for your employment history in the past 5 years, so it might be ok to throw that in there. The best thing to do would be to call the admissions office for Miami and just ask them. :D

Ya, i feel like this whole process is them asking me the same question different ways. So far, I just wrote straight forward what I did and a short description. I think I will elaborate more, as much as space allows.

patho said:
From what I have been told, it is best to leave high school experiences out, BUT they do ask for your employment history in the past 5 years, so it might be ok to throw that in there. The best thing to do would be to call the admissions office for Miami and just ask them. :D

Hey, a fellow UF person! Go Gators!

For the art question I threw in a mention of all the electives I took in highschool and an award I got but how my schedule now didn't lend itself to those classes now. Wasn't sure if I should have done that but oh well . . .

For the "Why Miami?" question I just elaborated on what I had said before, which I had kept pretty short on the pre-secondary.

Mike4284m said:
For the "Why Miami?" question I just elaborated on what I had said before, which I had kept pretty short on the pre-secondary.

Hmm too bad I milked it for all its worth on the pre-secondary with that question. Don't know what to do now....any ideas? did everyone keep it short and simple on the pre-secondary?

waterlily said:
Hmm too bad I milked it for all its worth on the pre-secondary with that question. Don't know what to do now....any ideas? did everyone keep it short and simple on the pre-secondary?

No, I went all out on the presecondary, waxing poetic about how much I love the school, then just tried to list everything in more brevity on the secondary, because I remember there not being a whole lot of space.

whats this presecondary your talking about? God I hope I didnt miss something