Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Miami University Students .. Question

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by scrubs41, Feb 27, 2002.

1. scrubs41

scrubs41 Member

I am planning to start there this year, wanted to ask/email somone, to get info on housing, area, school, etc.. can anyone on here help ?. Thanks in advance

scrubs.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Are you talking about Miami University, or the University of Miami? I assume you are about to start med school, not undergrad, since you're posting in this forum. If that's the case, it's the University of Miami (MU doesn't have a med school). You should really know the name of your school. :rolleyes:

4. gatormed

gatormed Member

Wow, wasn't Amy helpfull. Don't hold it against her. She's probably freezing her butt off in Rochester.

Now, with regard to houseing. There are a few places to live very close to the hospital. Dominion Tower and Jackson are practicly on hospital grounds. The neighborhood is pretty bad. Don't expect to do any jogging at night. The apartments are OK. Make sure to make arrangements early if you want one of those. The admissions office can help set you up with a roommate. The Miami Yacht Club is a little further from the hospital. I wouldn't recommend that one.
    If you want to live in a more normal neighborhood, try Coral Gables. You can find some apts near the main campus at reasonable prices and the commute isn't bad. If you have the money to spend, Southbeach or Brickle avenue are the best places in town to live.

5. scrubs41

scrubs41 Member

Thanks for the reply...is there any place I can live and avoid the highway? How about the metro system?

6. gatormed

gatormed Member

You could always live at Jackson or Dominion. Then you could walk across the street to the hospital. The Metro rail runs to Kendall which is South of Miami. I've considered moving there since it is pretty suburban with lots of shopping, etc. and the rent is relatively low. The down side is that if you ever have to drive from Kendall to Miami or vica versa the traffic is terrible. Also, I'm not very comfortable with the idea of my wife riding the Metro alone. I'm probably being overly cautious, though.

7. scrubs41

scrubs41 Member

Gatormed, Thank You so much for all your input, it's greatly appreciated. Do you currently go to the school ?.. Can I email you, since I have few more questions... also you say that Jackon and Dominion is close to the school.. but you have to rent there right ?.. I was thinking that since I have to be there for 4 years , that I will buy a small condo... thanks for your input...