Miami vs. Einstein. I found out today.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomorrowgirl99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got an email from U of Miami telling me that I was accepted. I had completely forgotten that I was on their waitlist because of senior design and I was going to quickly decline until I found out that they gave me a scholarship. What school do you guys think is better? I really like both Einstein and Miami so I am completely confused. Also, is it normal for schools to take a person off the waitlist the day before May 15.

Members don't see this ad.

one of my friend goes to Miami, and he loves it there. he tells me how he wears his id around the bars n gets mad attention from the ladies or something along those lines. id say Miami just cuz of the city! imagine u work like a workhorse n then after midterms or finals just be able to goto the beach n relaxx...cuz u know ur gonna be broke when ur in med school and wont be getting any vacations.

Miami is lots of fun. I can't comment on einstein because I really know nothing about the school, but I can throw in my two cents for UM.

The education is good. There are better schools out there in terms of preparing you for step 1, but I believe overall the foundation is solid here for the preclinical years. There are a good number of strong, quality professors and the layout for study is by organ systems. The clinicals are, however, where miami shines. There have been lots of threads discussing this and I don't have time to go into major details (do a search) right now. But the truth is, at Miami you get to do and see LOTS of stuff, from the get-go. You will start learning clinical skills (vitals, history taking) within the first few weeks. You will see your first patient around the 4th-5th week of classes. Lots of schools don't let you see real patients until third year (they use standardized patients 1st and 2nd year) and are highly limited in what they allow you to do. Not the case here. I am currently wrapping up first year (3 weeks of classes to go) and I am truly amazed at how much I have learned. After these three weeks we are being tested on clinical skills, and by now we are expected to be able to do a full standard physical on a new patient, take history (HPI), write up a progress (SOAP) note, take vitals, take blood, etc. The full deal. By now I have already seen well over 100 patients, easily. Very few schools immerse their first year students this much.

As for the city itself, living here is a blast. The weather is great year-round (although I wish it were a little colder during winter...) and the environment is great. There is so much to do in your free time. The nightlife is awesome and if going out is your thing, you cannot do better with the beach, clubs, bars, restaurants, etc. you name it, galore. My classmates are really laid back and we all get along really well...the school lacks that competitive cut-throat atmosphere present at so many other places. After every exam the class parties and goes out to have fun. There is a work-hard, play hard philosophy at work. We get premier treatment at some of south beach beach's hottest venues...a nice plus. I don't know about flashing the id around (that may be a little dorky) but I can say that medical students are very well liked at said venues :D .

I apologize this is a rambling, disorganized monologue with ideas kind of mixed together, but I just wanted to touch on some of the points that I really like about my school. In the end I had to choose between miami, UF and washU, and I decided to stay here. It's a great mix of good people (classmates), solid basic sciences years 1 and 2, amazing clinicals all throughout the four years and lots of fun things to do between exams.

PM me if you have any specific Qs