Michigan Dental Students (Ann Arbor): How do you like the podcast classrooms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this article online and the whole concept seems pretty interesting. Are just the lectures available as podcasts or is there more to it than that? Are there some classes that are essentially online-based?

Just curious as to the extent that the iPod/iTunes/Podcasts were integrated into classes at the University of Michigan Dental School at Ann Arbor.

University researching use of podcast classrooms
Binde Rai
Gamaliel Ortiz
State Hornet

February 07, 2006

The white iPod ear-buds that students use to tune out to music may soon become tools to tune in to a university education.
The educational expansion of Apple Computer Inc., "iTunes U," enables iPod carriers to listen and watch university lectures at their leisure.

According to the Apple Web site, the free downloadable service provides audio and video content quickly and easily to students.

The School of Dentistry at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, was the first school to test the mobile classrooms in 2004, after dentist student Jared Van Ittersum came up with the idea of using his iPod to reinforce learning in the classroom. Students caught onto the trend because of the flexibility and mobility of the iPod, according to the Apple Web site.

While six universities are now piloting the project, Sacramento State is still contemplating using the service, and is waiting for the research phase to pass before plunging into the portable classrooms, said Jean-Pierre Bayard, Sac State director of Academic Technology and Creative Services.

Bayard, who is also a professor of electrical and electronic engineering, said his staff at technology services office is waiting to see how successful podcast classrooms are before trying them at Sac State. Because the iPod lectures are a new service, there can be glitches, Bayard said. Sac State is also going to wait for student input before committing to the system.

Meanwhile, Sac State is investing in other computer capabilities such as online courses – which help alleviate large class sizes and the parking crunch – and educational services such as WebCT. Sac State has done as much as it can to boost online instruction, and help meet the demand of more classes, said Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs Ric Brown.

"This allows students to work from home when needed, or at odd hours," Brown said. "It is a way to make classes more compatible with students’ busy schedules."

Ultimately, though, it is up to the professor whether to request an online course or not, Bayard said.

Faculty choose to go online with their classes based on a number of things: whether or not the course content is appropriate to be online, and also what types of students enroll in the course. If a certain course has a higher number of students who commute or have full-time jobs, it becomes readily available via the Internet.

The only problem is that Sac State students don’t know about online classes. Many students enroll in online courses without realizing it, Bayard said. In the class schedule, footnotes denote online courses, but many students and even some faculty are not aware of this.

"This is an issue that is brought up every year," Bayard said. "We are trying to figure out ways to clarify this."

About one third of Sac State faculty has been given training for such technology, Brown said. Sociology Professor Diana Tumminia, uses WebCT to post examples, handouts, lectures and get e-mail from students, she said in an e-mail.

As far as online-only classes go, Tumminia said they limit spontaneity in class.

"It’s no substitute for teacher(s) who engage (with) students face-to-face," Tumminia said.

Tumminia added that although she prefers lecture-style teaching, WebCT has given her the chance to know her students are taken care of.

Although online classes may only be conducive to some teaching styles, a recent CSU, Bakersfield study found that online class formats do not take away learning effectiveness when compared to traditional lecture-style classes, according to the Bakersfield Californian.

English Professor Robert Carlisle conducted the survey of 742 CSU, Bakersfield students based on grade differences between the two class types. He found no real change in final grades of students taking online classes as opposed to traditional classes.

Darlene Sibha, junior, said she had taken online classes before, and found them less challenging. She prefers having a teacher and said online classes are fine if there are a lot of people that can help when she has questions.

Members don't see this ad.

burton117 said:
I saw this article online and the whole concept seems pretty interesting. Are just the lectures available as podcasts or is there more to it than that? Are there some classes that are essentially online-based?

Just curious as to the extent that the iPod/iTunes/Podcasts were integrated into classes at the University of Michigan Dental School at Ann Arbor.

I think it is a great service to have. No classes are online-based. All classes are as they were, but they are recorded and put into podcast format. This way if I cannot make a lecture for some reason I can listen to the lecture (as long as the professor agrees to be recorded, some don't for legal reasons). The system works like all other podcasts (I believe). I am subscribed to the courses I want and they update whenever I have iTunes open. It is very nice for when you want to listen to a lecture while driving or working out because you can load them onto your ipod. Some professors think that it promotes students to be lazy and not come to lecture, but I don't think that this is a substitute since you don't have any of the visuals of the lecture to go along with the audio. In all, I think most of us have been really happy with the service.

burton117 said:

Burton,

It is the audio of most lectures that is available. (In the future they are looking into having iPod video but that's a little ways off). None of our classes are online based. The podcast is just the audio of the lecture. Not all classes and professors are taped as we need permission from each lecturer to record them and classes in the pre-clinic aren't recorded. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok.. that's pretty sweet..

I am sure that is pretty helpful for those unavoidable circumstances where you just have to miss class with all you guys got going on.

Thanks for the info, Cyclysm and ktcook83.

what they said :thumbup: almost all professors agree to be recorded, i can only think of one or two that don't let us do it. and as for the classes in the preclinic, you don't really need that info to be recorded anyway as it is mostly demos and stuff and we have a separate lecture in the classroom with the important preclinic info that is recorded. Although I don't use the service that much i think it is a great tool for going back and studying or taking additional notes for lecturers who went really fast or were confusing. some people do use it as a lecture substitute especially for those early morning lectures or if they can get a longer lunch or go home early - but if people can learn the stuff that way then who can blame them. last semester I got a lot of long lunches by listening to the ims quiz reviews on itunes, that way i could just listen to the questions i was interested in and skip the rest :)

I personally find it very useful- just because I learn best when listening. Sometimes I get busy scribbling down whatever the prof says in class that I miss the next sentence so it's nice that I can go back and relisten. It's only set up for a particular room though- so if you're in the preclinic or kellogg auditorium, things won't get recorded.

98% of our classes are in the itunes-friendly room, so it usually works out well :)