Michigan Does Not Accept Research Letter?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aZenki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an email from Michigan Dental School saying that one of my LOR is missing because it needs to be a letter written by...

• Science instructor that has taught you and given you a grade (research does not count)

But my research is taught by a science instructor and he does give me a grade for my research....I do get unit, so its kinda like a class right...

I tried calling them, but its just machine telling me to go to their school web site for any questions regarding of the application...
and I don't even see that they indicated anywhere that they want a non-research letter...

how am I suppose to find another letter during summer...
this is soooo bad~~~~~:(

Members don't see this ad.

But my research is taught by a science instructor and he does give me a grade for my research....I do get unit, so its kinda like a class right...

And you think adcoms are not aware of how the system works? Is there a particular version of no that you might accept as a definitive answer?

That grade is for research units. This is not a class. There is a difference. Sorry

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey that sucks to hear. Are there any professors that can write you one?? I was stuck in this situation too, but emailed a bunch of professors and was lucky enough to have my old Chem professor write me one. Don't give up and good luck! :xf:

Are the professors supposed to write what course they've taught you??

I posted the exact same thread. I have a letter from a research prof. who has given me credit as well and apparently it doesn't count. Their website absolutely does not say this or I would not have applied. USC's specifically says letters from 2 science profs (RESEARCH DOESN'T COUNT). I will try to call them tomorrow and let you know what I find out!

I've posted about this in another thread recently. After speaking on the phone with Tracy (which you should probably call & confirm) she told me that my mentor just had to email to verify that my research was part of my required curriculum for graduation and that I received a grade (despite the fact that my AADSAS states it's for coursework and appears on my transcripts as graded credit).

That really raise my hope man!

Thanks!

So you just had your mentor email them and they are accepting your letter now?

I've posted about this in another thread recently. After speaking on the phone with Tracy (which you should probably call & confirm) she told me that my mentor just had to email to verify that my research was part of my required curriculum for graduation and that I received a grade (despite the fact that my AADSAS states it's for coursework and appears on my transcripts as graded credit).

I'm in the same boat. I will let you know what happens with mine.

i applied to umich last year with two letters from research professors, one from science prof, and one from dentist and i was accepted with no problem whatsoever. dunno what that means exactly, but that was my case.

for the research classes, i had taken 20 units (5 qtrs) of it over the span of 2 years and the class was called PHARM RESEARCH