Michigan Interview- Student Hosts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still waiting for my Michigan interview day packet, but I was wondering if there is an option to stay with a student host? If so, does anyone have a link or a contact email address? If not, any recommendations on cheap hotels in the vacinity?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, same here, anyone info. on that would be appreciated.

-Ice

When I called last week, they said you would receive the packet "a few weeks before the interview" which I recall meaning 3 or so weeks. I think they're starting on Sept. 4th for interviews, so even if you have one of the first, it should still be a bit of time before they mail out those packets.

-Cantal

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your interviews! I have no idea when they will send out your packets, but you should be able to stay with a student host when you interview. I'd actually recommend doing so because a) it's way cheaper and b) it will give you a feel for what the students are like here. If for some reason they don't provide you with that info in the packet, you should be able to talk to someone at the admissions office regarding student hosts.

Good luck at your interviews and I hope you like Michigan!

:clap:

when are you guys interviewing? i am on sept 12th...notre dame weekend:clap:

Did you all get the interview offers before submitting the secondary? Thanks!

Originally posted by bosco
Did you all get the interview offers before submitting the secondary? Thanks!

Yeah I did. It was on the status page.

I just received the UM info package and it mentions nothing about a student host. Is this in keeping with previous years? Where have previous applicants stayed?

Thanks.

Hey Gleevec, when you say "UM info package" do you mean the mail you received with the dates of the interviews? Because I received that mail, and it did not list any sort of student hosting provision, so is there some other mail/email that they should send out too (btw, I have already set up my time and everything like a week ago...)

Any help would be appreciated (from anyone)! :)

Thanks,

-Ice

oh and steinway, I am also interviewing on Sept. 12th :)

-Ice

If I remember correctly, there was an option for one last year, but it was sort of hidden in a bad layout on the webpage. In any case, where there is a will, there is a way. I'm sure you can call the admissions office and inquire about a student host. There are probably several people that are willing to host students... I'd imagine that some of the people in the administration can get a quick list set up by mass mailing our class.

I got a new snailmail package today detailing where I can stay, when things are, etc. No info about student hosting there.

Originally posted by ice_23
Hey Gleevec, when you say "UM info package" do you mean the mail you received with the dates of the interviews? Because I received that mail, and it did not list any sort of student hosting provision, so is there some other mail/email that they should send out too (btw, I have already set up my time and everything like a week ago...)

Any help would be appreciated (from anyone)! :)

Thanks,

-Ice

I'm guessing that because you guys are interviewing so early, they probably haven't yet set up the list of student hosts. I remember we got a notice about doing that last fall sometime, so it probably just takes them a little while to get it set up.

I'd try calling the admissions office anyway, just to see if there is a way to do it. If not, I'm sure Street Philosopher will put you up for the night.

I looked all over the UM website and through all the mails they sent out. Nothing about student hosting, just some info about "cheap" hotels and whatnot.

Ill call UM on Monday I guess, thanks for any help you can provide as an insider SP =)

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
If I remember correctly, there was an option for one last year, but it was sort of hidden in a bad layout on the webpage. In any case, where there is a will, there is a way. I'm sure you can call the admissions office and inquire about a student host. There are probably several people that are willing to host students... I'd imagine that some of the people in the administration can get a quick list set up by mass mailing our class.

Originally posted by Sprockette
If not, I'm sure Street Philosopher will put you up for the night.

Yeah, lets all just invade SP's place. ;)

if i remember right ... super early interviewees had a slightly difficult time w/the student host thing last year (but could get one w/a call to the admissions office.) moreover, there aren't really any "cheap" hotels anywhere near the university... so i dunno what to suggest about that. i didn't have to stay anywhere last year; i was living 1hr away so i just drove in that morning.

PM me if you can't straighten out student host issues and you're an early interviewee in a crisis. i'm an M1 and i have a futon in the living room. i'm walking distance to school. i have a cat that eats plastic and is an attention *****, though. :D

ps i know for a fact that you don't wanna stay at sp's place. smells like old books! ;)

gleevec clean out your pm box ... i tried to reply and was shut down! :eek:

:) i'll try to reply later.

Congrats everyone.

Ice, Steinway... I will see you there. Let me know if you run into anyone with some extra tickets.

:cool:

(GO IRISH! BEAT BLUE!)

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
gleevec clean out your pm box ... i tried to reply and was shut down! :eek:

:) i'll try to reply later.

Haha sorry about that GoodMonkey. The mailbox is all cleaned out. Yikes, SDN is being really really slow for me today, so Im having some trouble looking at threads and replying to PMs

The administration is currently trying to recruit student hosts. If you want a cheap hotel, try hotwire.com. I got a decent one for like 50 bucks, if I remember correctly. Or you can call the school and ask for some more personal assistance. ;)