Michigan (IS) vs. UPenn vs. Stony Brook (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dieslink

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am very grateful to be accepted to some of my top choice schools but am having trouble making a decision. UMich dental was definitely my top choice going into the application process but over the course of interviews, I have realized that I am very attracted by some other programs. You can see what my thoughts have changed to after learning more about all of these programs:

School 1: University of Michigan
IS
Pros:
  • Cheapest (this is a huge factor, the difference in cost is very large)
  • Close to home
  • Will have new clinics by my third year
Cons:
  • Came here for undergrad and really want to spend the next four years away from home
  • Also don't like the idea of being in Ann Arbor without my undergrad friends
  • Program seems heavily research focused and half the time I spend in school will be spent dealing with construction
  • Very few breaks, lots of mandatory attendance (not sure if this is standard, but UMich seemed to emphasize it)
  • Starts in June which is very early
School 2: University of Pennsylvania
OOS
Pros:
  • Very nice facilities
  • Like their interlacing of didactics throughout four years
  • Have great clinical experience
  • Philly would be fantastic to live in for four years and be very different from Ann Arbor
  • I like the way clinicals are done in groups that give continuity
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Seems to be a similar vibe to Michigan which, if true, would make it simple to choose Michigan
School 3: Stony Brook
OOS
Pros:
  • Small school which will be a fantastic change from the sheer size of Michigan whether it's the small class size or the great faculty to student ratio
  • Great specialization rates
  • Long Island would also be fantastic to live in for four years
  • Integrated with the med school which is very attractive as I think that is valuable for any dental practitioner
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Less brand recognition than UMich and UPenn which would matter more to me if their specialization rates weren't so high meaning it probably does not matter
Summary: I'm leaning towards UMich because it's the cheapest. I do hate the idea of spending another four years at the same campus when I could be experiencing a new state but I also love the idea of having less debt. I think Stony Brook has the most attractive program because I do want a small school experience after having gone to Michigan for undergrad and masters. I think I will be able to specialize at any of these schools but worrying about class rank and grades is already making me feel burnt out and I don't know that I will be happy with the intense way Michigan portrays their program. UPenn seemed to have a similarly intense program but the students seemed happier. I think I'm really debating money vs happiness for four years unless my impression of UMich dental is way off.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
as Big Hoss says, go to the cheapest school. Cost is everything imo. You're going to be a dentist so it's best if you graduate with as little debt as possible to maximize your potential

Reactions: 5 users
I relate to you so much on the “can i mentally and physically survive another 4 years in Ann Arbor” front. I went there for undergrad as well, and got accepted this cycle. Michigan has an amazing deal for in-state students... But from my friends and alumnus who are attending/have attended I’ve heard that the curriculum is soul-sucking. I’m having the same dilemma between happiness/sanity vs. cost

Reactions: 1 user
I relate to you so much on the “can i mentally and physically survive another 4 years in Ann Arbor” front. I went there for undergrad as well, and got accepted this cycle. Michigan has an amazing deal for in-state students... But from my friends and alumnus who are attending/have attended I’ve heard that the curriculum is soul-sucking. I’m having the same dilemma between happiness/sanity vs. cost
is the Michigan curriculum that grueling? I come from the quarter system so maybe i will have an easier time adjusting

Members don't see this ad :)
is the Michigan curriculum that grueling? I come from the quarter system so maybe i will have an easier time adjusting
I've talked to friends and family who have gone there as well and it seems super intense. Plus, the information session kind of confirmed that from the way they portrayed the program. It's pretty on brand for the school having come from Michigan engineering and going through a rather grueling program (I loved being at Michigan and there's a lot of camaraderie from pain, I'm just tired of worrying about being above the curve). I'm sad that Michigan med is pass fail but not the dental school. But, once again, if we're totally off base about the program I would love to hear it because like GoToHolmes said, cheapest school definitely sounds like the best especially if it has Michigan reputation.

I've talked to friends and family who have gone there as well and it seems super intense. Plus, the information session kind of confirmed that from the way they portrayed the program. It's pretty on brand for the school having come from Michigan engineering and going through a rather grueling program (I loved being at Michigan and there's a lot of camaraderie from pain, I'm just tired of worrying about being above the curve). I'm sad that Michigan med is pass fail but not the dental school. But, once again, if we're totally off base about the program I would love to hear it because like GoToHolmes said, cheapest school definitely sounds like the best especially if it has Michigan reputation.
Ah, I see.

Do dental schools operate on a traditional curve? I was kind of hoping that I would never have to fight for curves again

Michigan is an amazing program and it's your cheapest option -- you'll have the opportunity to make new lifelong friends in dental school and won't have to worry about choosing a school that would put you in more debt. Seems like a sweet deal to me! Congrats!!

Reactions: 4 users
Ah, I see.

Do dental schools operate on a traditional curve? I was kind of hoping that I would never have to fight for curves again
I think regardless of whether or not it's a traditional curve, fighting for that class rank will be tough but that's probably the same at any school. @future_nostalgia definitely makes me feel better about Michigan especially given that Penn Dental class of 2023 haha

I think regardless of whether or not it's a traditional curve, fighting for that class rank will be tough but that's probably the same at any school. @future_nostalgia definitely makes me feel better about Michigan especially given that Penn Dental class of 2023 haha
Are you planning on specializing? I don't imagine class rank being important for people who are fine with GP

Are you planning on specializing? I don't imagine class rank being important for people who are fine with GP
Yes, I definitely intend to specialize. Probably endo as my father owns a clinic and it would be great to join him after school but I'm open to pursuing other specialties.

• Wow
Michigan. You’ll thank yourself later. You can’t put too much emphasis on your impressions of schools during the interviews or your current perceptions of which program you’ll like best when your comparing a cost difference of 200k+ imo

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, would you be down to dm? I think it would be solid to talk given the similar issue haha

UMich for sure. IS tuition for the "Number One" dental school in the US? Yes please. Grass isn't always greener; the interview days for schools are sales pitches. They're mostly all great though, not denying that. Good luck!