Michigan license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

affectiveH3art

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In preparation for internship applications I was reviewing a site in Michigan. According to the licensing board I must have an accredited masters degree in psychology in order to apply for their license (including the limited license). Since my degree is considered a Masters in Arts, specialization counseling does this mean I not eligible for licensing in Michigan? Especially given my PhD is similar (out of the education department and not psychology), does that mean I'm not eligible at all to work in Michigan? I've contacted the site and the licensing board but wondering if anyone knows first hand. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

IIRC, you'll need to have someone from your MA program sign and submit the Certification of Psychology Education form.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/Certification_of_Psychology_Education_536166_7.pdf

I'm no longer licensed in Michigan but know there have been some very recent changes to the licensure process -- something about having the MA-level license before the full license and eligibility to take the EPPP. Be sure to check with the board.

That's interesting. How would that work for folks coming from other states where their masters licensure does not meet state requirements (such as hours, or courses; I'm unsure of the requirements so I'm not sure what/if that is a concern) or where an individual opted not to complete a masters en route to PhD? I'd be curious to know a bit more about this just out of curiosity when OP learns about the Michigan licensure process.

I'm having a hard time imagining a rationale for this type of move and would be curious what incremental utility it offers the licensure process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cali- according to the document a masters in psychology is required. I wonder if the licensing board will consider my masters since I have all the required courses? Due to this requirement I might have to throw out this internship site. It's an interesting requirement to have a masters in psychology.

Is the internship site requiring you to be licensed in the state? That would be highly unusual, as you'll be functioning under your supervisors' licenses. Unless MI for some reason requires that doctoral interns be licensed at the masters level...?

Something seems odd, so I would wait to hear from the board. Some well regarded programs do not even award the masters degree along the way to the PhD anymore. I find it really hard to believe that would preclude licensure.

Yes the internship site is requiring interns to have a limited license (masters level). If not eligible then you have to work with supervisor for all of the internship and can't see patients individually. Which would be a drag for this type of setting (surgical c/l type of work).

From the sites I'm applying to, many require masters. This was surprising given it isn't a requirement.

Yes the internship site is requiring interns to have a limited license (masters level). If not eligible then you have to work with supervisor for all of the internship and can't see patients individually. Which would be a drag for this type of setting (surgical c/l type of work).

I think I know what site you're talking about. You still see the patients individually, the supervisor just has to see them at some point too depending on the rotation. I'd recommend you contact the program.

Thats an odd decision and seems to stunt the opportunity for growth of the intern substantially for what I can only assume is a site liability CYA, if indeed that is true. I would be curious if that is the case of if, as Str63 said, it is only once. Having the supervisor observe you (much less meet the patient) would be entirely different and in line with the new COA push for training sites. I would also encourage you to contact the site to inquire, in addition to the board to clarify.

What type of site is this- CMHC, private treatment facility, etc.

I interviewed at an internship spot in Michigan. My master's is in Experimental Psychology - I chose not to do the master's in clinical psych at my current program b/c my thesis and a good chunk of credits counted towards my PhD. I was told that I could still apply for the limited license, as one of the current interns also had an experimental masters and had the limited license.

IIRC, at that particular site, they indicated that the limited license had something to do with the types of patients you could see. For example, if you did not have the limited license, then you could only see Medicaid cases. However, if you had the limited license, you were able to see Medicaid, as well as patients with insurance. That may not be exactly what the patient groupings were, but you get the idea.