Michigan March Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevinp2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It all goes down on Wednesday....

Anyone holding their breath?

Members don't see this ad.

this wednesday? for reals?

how did you find out?

i'm supposedly a "highly desirable" march decision, so i guess i'll start crossing my fingers.

:luck:
Best of luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
It all goes down on Wednesday....

Anyone holding their breath?

I really liked Michigan after my interview day and was pretty bummed to be put in the "highly desirable march decision" category. While I am nervous, I won't be holding my breath, but I will be crossing my fingers! :luck: to all us "highly desirable" folks :)

good luck to those waiting to hear from UMich, especially to those instaters already accepted at wayne state but waiting from UMich.

anyone have any idea how many they are taking? it says on the admissions site they have 10% remaining, which, if they accept 300 total, would be roughly 30. does this sound about right, or is it fewer?

anyone have any idea how many they are taking? it says on the admissions site they have 10% remaining, which, if they accept 300 total, would be roughly 30. does this sound about right, or is it fewer?

That sounds about right. December decision I heard they took only 10 or so....

It's dissapointing, but its likely far fewer. Those stats were updated on 1/29. Since, there have been 2 interview days and one adcom meeting, although I think they plan on taking 320-330 total.

Yeah, it seems like "highly desirable" is really a proxy for "we guess you're okay, welcome to the waitlist." Too bad; I really liked UMich.

hey, no negative thoughts here....let's stay positive... atleast until about 12pm wednesday.

by the way, did anyone send an update letter, or letter of interest to the adcom?

hey, no negative thoughts here....let's stay positive... atleast until about 12pm wednesday.

by the way, did anyone send an update letter, or letter of interest to the adcom?

Yeah, I sent in an update/interest letter (but not letter of intent) via snail mail and it was posted on my status page once it was received. And I'll try stay as positive as I can :oops:

I agree it will probably be less than 30 spots given out this week. From talking to the admissions office they said they were accepting people from both interview days. I'm hoping that "highly desirable" comes to mean something for all of us though!! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it seems like "highly desirable" is really a proxy for "we guess you're okay, welcome to the waitlist." Too bad; I really liked UMich.

I'm an M1 at Michigan -- to give you guys hope, one of my classmates (who interviewed in February) was in the "highly desirable" group, was waitlisted, and (clearly) got off the list because she's sitting next to me in lecture!!! good luck y'all :luck:

I wish that I hadn't just found out it was gonna be Wednesday. Somehow it's easier just checking every day not really expecting any news.

Do you think it is going to be like it was before, where we find out before midnight on Wednesday?

Yeah, I sent in an update/interest letter (but not letter of intent) via snail mail and it was posted on my status page once it was received. And I'll try stay as positive as I can :oops:

Ya, I sent the same. Update/interest. There wasn't a change to my status page, but I had already sent an update pre-interview, so maybe they only have one message for "received supplemental info".

Do you think it is going to be like it was before, where we find out before midnight on Wednesday?

I hope so. Last adcom meeting my status page changed between 10am and noon.

I sent a letter of intent so hopefully that helps! Good luck everyone

I hope so. Last adcom meeting my status page changed between 10am and noon.

I sent a letter of intent so hopefully that helps! Good luck everyone

According to the online discussion today, decisions will be posted by 4 PM tomorrow.

In terms of the letter of intent, Mr. Ruiz said that this can help if they are deciding between many applicants who have similar credentials, but in the majority of cases it doesn't help. It can't hurt, however, so good thing you sent it in!

he also mentioned that 5-12 of the ~100 highly desirable people will be taken....

I agree.

My $0.02 as a current M1: If "highly desirable" has to be a proxy for something, I'd say it's more along the lines of "applications to Michigan are up ~20% this year (compared to ~8% nationwide) and we have many, many truly outstanding applicants. In order to give everyone a reasonably fair shot, we need to wait until we see everyone to issue the acceptances." So it doesn't mean waitlist, but it does mean you should give yourself a big pat on the back if/when you hear the good news!

:luck: Good luck everyone! :luck:

I agree.

My $0.02 as a current M1: If "highly desirable" has to be a proxy for something, I'd say it's more along the lines of "applications to Michigan are up ~20% this year (compared to ~8% nationwide) and we have many, many truly outstanding applicants. In order to give everyone a reasonably fair shot, we need to wait until we see everyone to issue the acceptances." So it doesn't mean waitlist, but it does mean you should give yourself a big pat on the back if/when you hear the good news!

Unfortunately, Mr. Ruiz explicitly said that 12 - 15 of the 90 or so highly desirable applicants would be getting acceptances tomorrow. He also said there won't be any rejections from this group, so the rest will be waitlisted.

Good luck to everyone, though!

Good luck everyone!

I agree.

That's not what he said at all!!! At our interview, he told us we could all concievably be accepted and this was back in September. Boooooo.

That's not what he said at all!!! At our interview, he told us we could all concievably be accepted and this was back in September. Boooooo.

Haha, that was before they accepted 90% of their class, I guess. I interviewed in Feb and he said something like "there are still some slots available"...

Good luck to all today! And thanks for the nice note SailCrazy :)

Umm, that looks like exactly what he said (in different words). Perhaps he was referring to waitlist movement?

So has anyone actually been waitlisted yet or is the waitlist just going to be comprised of March decision people?

I've been waitlisted already, and I know of a couple other people who were waitlisted too. Does anyone know when the waitlist order is established? They tell us to call them after April 1st to ask about our position on the waitlist, but today is their last adcom meeting, so do you think I can call later today and find out?

I've been waitlisted already, and I know of a couple other people who were waitlisted too. Does anyone know when the waitlist order is established? They tell us to call them after April 1st to ask about our position on the waitlist, but today is their last adcom meeting, so do you think I can call later today and find out?

Hmmm. The adcom schedule ended at Mar 14 so we can't tell. I would guess they're probably going to take the next 2 weeks off. Mar 30 they meet to discuss scholarships, so I gues they'd have to establish it at today's meeting. My guess is that "highly desirible" was considered above initial waitlist, so I think that the 80 or so remaining highly desirible folks will be ranked at today's meeting and then placed at the top of the waitlist in that order. This is pure conjecture, though, so don't take my word on it.

Umm, that looks like exactly what he said (in different words). Perhaps he was referring to waitlist movement?

From what I understood, he said we could all be accepted by that October 15 regardless of how many interviews were coming after us . . . :laugh: But in retrospect he must have meant if we were all 45mcat 4.0 gpa, saved the world, etc.

:thumbup: Good luck to everyone hoping for an acceptance today!

:luck:

Anyone else logging onto their status page every 10 seconds like me? haha

While we're waiting, does anyone have the chat transcript from last night? I missed it to go to the Seger concert. Wooohooo!!

I was told that there would be three levels to the waitlist. The March decision group would be split up into the top two and those currently waitlisted would be the bottom third. I think there is no individual ranking to it, but I'm not sure.

I was told that there would be three levels to the waitlist. The March decision group would be split up into the top two and those currently waitlisted would be the bottom third. I think there is no individual ranking to it, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's what they told us regarding "ranking" on my interview day. Three groups of waitlist, but within the groups they select applicants to maintain class diversity, % instate, etc.

Ouch, that sucks for me. I don't have too much hope now, do I? They probably won't take over 80 people from the waitlist...:mad:

I think he says that so it doesn't seem like you're explicitly competing with the student next to you.

Not for me either

Does anyone have a link for the status page? It's been so long since I've checked it...Thanks

Like someone else said, back in September being on the list was lot different than it is now - and not just becasue it was a much smaller group back then. Highly Desirables files could be/were revisited throughout the remainder of the application process, and acceptances issued prior to this final committee meeting. I don't know how many were issued, I just know that the files were still reviewed along the way.

I'm not waiting for a decision or anything, but I work at UMMS and I just passed the admissions office and saw a bunch of people in a room sitting around a big round table...

Not for me either, but thanks for freaking me out ;)

It says the meeting is from 11-2, right?

Ahh you're right! I thought it was 7-10 like the last one. I've been checking all morning for nothing...

Ahh you're right! I thought it was 7-10 like the last one. I've been checking all morning for nothing...

Maybe that's good news for you guys. I just checked and I'm on the middle tier. If they were going to put me on the middle tier, you would think they would have waitlisted me back in november rather than giving me 2 defferals....so much for umich