michigan + nj schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are the osteopathic schools in michigan and nj hard to get into for out of staters?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Michigan and was accepted to both MSUCOM and UMDNJ-SOM...I decided on NJ. I don't know how many out of state people MSU accepts, however, they do give preference to MI residents. The out of state tuition is ~30k/year (16k/year for MI residents) and it's hard to get MI residency as a student. NJ takes about 10% of it's class (~75) from out of state. Hope this helps.

MSUCOM is one of the hardest osteopathic schools to get into, the average gpa's and test scores overlap with many MD schools. Also as a state funded school probably 90% or so of those the admit will be from Michigan

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm from ny but i think i'll try anyway. i really like that school. i just hope my sci gpa (3.4) wont bring me down too much.

wolf,

for the Class of 2002, 119 were in state and 10 out of state (in MSUCOM's brochure). That is pretty close from year to year. It is really tough as an out of stater, but not impossible. At my interview, they said out of state tuition is estimated to be $32,000 for this year. They do have a few first year scholarships which could help you out. To be considered for these, you have to be accepted prior to the deadline (I think it's sometime in February-see their website). The secondary is extensive. I believe all in staters receive secondaries, but not all out of staters. As part of the secondary, your recommendations must be written on the forms MSUCOM provides. So, consider having those people lined up so you can get everything in early.

Good luck applying this year.

i didn't know that mscom wanted recommendations on their forms. what a pain. do any other osteopathic schools require this?

As far as I know they're the only D.O. school that requires the recommendations be submitted this way. You can have your recommender right a rec on a standard rec form, but they will still have to fill out the form MSUCOM provides. It consists of several questions where they give you a "rating" and a paragraph size space underneath where they can elaborate on that question. After you send everything in, you can check your file status on their website. The site only tells you what they have received. It doesn't tell you interview status. If you are offered an interview, they'll most likely call you and then follow-up with a letter.

Wolf~~~~
I was accepted at MSUCOM as an "out-of stater." I'm living proof that it's not impossible to get in!!!
smile.gif

One option they give you, as an out of stater, is to defer enrollment by a year once you are accepted, so that you can become a resident, and avoid the $33K in out of state tuition. Seeing that I'm an old bag, I wanted to get started ASAP, so I bit the bullet, and am sucking up the loan money.

Regarding the individual evaluation forms...MSUCOM is very committed to selecting applicants that are dedicated to the Osteopathic profession and its philosophy. The forms ask the evaluator's opinion of how dedicated and educated you are about the profession. The forms are really not that big of a deal, and I think they get a lot of good subjective information from them.

And regarding your science GPA, don't sweat it, yours falls within the range of accepted applicants. Just make it clear to them how committed you are to the profession, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

thanks for cheering me up. i think i'll focus on making my personal statement really strong.