Michigan (OOS, +$15k scholarship) vs. UF (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi all!

My beautiful and intelligent girlfriend got into University of Michigan and University of Florida for dental school and she’s been doing her little pros/cons list to try to make a final decision. I’m going to support her no matter what school she chooses, but I wanted to see if I can help her out by coming on here to see if we could get any extra advice on these schools.

She’s a Florida resident so I believe she’s getting in-state tuition for UF. However, U of Mich gave her a $15k per year scholarship. Which makes the costs pretty damn comparable. From her perspective, it seems like it comes down to which is the better "bang for your buck" dental school (she’s not sure if she wants to specialize yet) and which also city would be the best to live in for those 4 years.

We’re both willing to live in either Ann Arbor or Gainesville. Personally, I would like to invest in property wherever she chooses. Any info or expertise on investment properties would be appreciated! Ideally, I’m hoping my girlfriend and I would live in the property for the 4 years she’s in dental school and then depending on the housing marketing, I’d then decide if I would want to rent it out to other students/people in that area or sell it after the 4 years.

She’s also applying to the HPSP scholarship through the Navy. So not sure if her getting accepted to that would affect anything… but maybe!?

A little about us:

• We’ve both lived in the midwest (her in Ottawa, Illinois and myself in West Lafayette, Indiana - boiler up!) so we’re no strangers to the crazy midwest weather.
  • Her family is in Orlando, my family is in California
  • We’re a part of the LGBTQ+ community (we probably won’t be socializing much given the pandemic, but eventually we’d like to get out there and meet our fellow gays!)
  • I currently work a remote job with its headquarters based in Silicon Valley, but I have a supportive team that would let me work from wherever. Also always open to new career opportunities!
Any other feedback/suggestions/advice/fun facts/ANYTHING is appreciated :)

TL;DR-

Best overall choice for dental school - University of Michigan or University of Florida?

Best overall choice to live - Ann Arbor or Gainesville?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

My beautiful and intelligent girlfriend got into University of Michigan and University of Florida for dental school and she’s been doing her little pros/cons list to try to make a final decision. I’m going to support her no matter what school she chooses, but I wanted to see if I can help her out by coming on here to see if we could get any extra advice on these schools.

She’s a Florida resident so I believe she’s getting in-state tuition for UF. However, U of Mich gave her a $15k per year scholarship. Which makes the costs pretty damn comparable. From her perspective, it seems like it comes down to which is the better "bang for your buck" dental school (she’s not sure if she wants to specialize yet) and which also city would be the best to live in for those 4 years.

We’re both willing to live in either Ann Arbor or Gainesville. Personally, I would like to invest in property wherever she chooses. Any info or expertise on investment properties would be appreciated! Ideally, I’m hoping my girlfriend and I would live in the property for the 4 years she’s in dental school and then depending on the housing marketing, I’d then decide if I would want to rent it out to other students/people in that area or sell it after the 4 years.

She’s also applying to the HPSP scholarship through the Navy. So not sure if her getting accepted to that would affect anything… but maybe!?

A little about us:

• We’ve both lived in the midwest (her in Ottawa, Illinois and myself in West Lafayette, Indiana - boiler up!) so we’re no strangers to the crazy midwest weather.
  • Her family is in Orlando, my family is in California
  • We’re a part of the LGBTQ+ community (we probably won’t be socializing much given the pandemic, but eventually we’d like to get out there and meet our fellow gays!)
  • I currently work a remote job with its headquarters based in Silicon Valley, but I have a supportive team that would let me work from wherever. Also always open to new career opportunities!
Any other feedback/suggestions/advice/fun facts/ANYTHING is appreciated :)

TL;DR-

Best overall choice for dental school - University of Michigan or University of Florida?

Best overall choice to live - Ann Arbor or Gainesville?
if she plans to live in FL, she should go to UF

You really can't go wrong with either; they're both amazing. UM's program is ranked No. 1 in the country by QS and Ann Arbor is beautiful with great property, and UF has great weather year round and she'd be closer to family in Orlando.