Michigan (OOS) vs. Pitt (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMH500

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am super grateful to have been accepted to two of my top choices and am now struggling to make a decision. For some background, I am from Pittsburgh and attended undergrad out of state. I am also on the waitlist at UNC which was another top school for me. The tuition for Michigan out of state and Pitt in state are very similar (Michigan cost of living may be a bit more), and so financially there is no real difference for me with this choice. Also, I know that the reputation for both schools are great and have heard the atmosphere at both schools are pretty collaborative overall. With all that said, here are my pro and con lists for each school. Which would you pick if you were in my situation and why?

Pitt
Pros
-Close to home (my whole family lives in Pittsburgh)
-I have done research here so I know a few professors and a handful of students
-Not sure where I want to practice yet, but Pittsburgh is high on my list
-Small class size (80)

Cons
-Too close to home? (Being in the city I grew up in could be a bit of a distraction)
-Clinical facilities aren't the newest

Michigan
Pros
-Brand new facilities (should be done right when I get to clinic)
-Lots of great unique opportunities (being sent to different parts of the state to practice as a fourth year, time built into schedule for own projects, etc.)
-Ann Arbor is suppose to be great (Would be fun to explore somewhere new)

Cons
-Larger class size (110, so still not huge)
-Year round schedule means I won't be home much
-Very cold weather

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I am super grateful to have been accepted to two of my top choices and am now struggling to make a decision. For some background, I am from Pittsburgh and attended undergrad out of state. I am also on the waitlist at UNC which was another top school for me. The tuition for Michigan out of state and Pitt in state are very similar (Michigan cost of living may be a bit more), and so financially there is no real difference for me with this choice. Also, I know that the reputation for both schools are great and have heard the atmosphere at both schools are pretty collaborative overall. With all that said, here are my pro and con lists for each school. Which would you pick if you were in my situation and why?

Pitt
Pros
-Close to home (my whole family lives in Pittsburgh)
-I have done research here so I know a few professors and a handful of students
-Not sure where I want to practice yet, but Pittsburgh is high on my list
-Small class size (80)

Cons
-Too close to home? (Being in the city I grew up in could be a bit of a distraction)
-Clinical facilities aren't the newest

Michigan
Pros
-Brand new facilities (should be done right when I get to clinic)
-Lots of great unique opportunities (being sent to different parts of the state to practice as a fourth year, time built into schedule for own projects, etc.)
-Ann Arbor is suppose to be great (Would be fun to explore somewhere new)

Cons
-Larger class size (110, so still not huge)
-Year round schedule means I won't be home much
-Very cold weather
if you are going to live/work in pittsburgh after you graduate, you should go to pitt...

if you are going to live/work in pittsburgh after you graduate, you should go to pitt...
I am really not positive where I am going to live and work. Pittsburgh is high on my list, but I am not fully set anywhere yet, (I have also enjoyed living in North Carolina for undergrad). While I don't love the cold, if I really loved Michigan while in dental school I may even be happy practicing there.

Since the price is the same I'd say Michigan. It's a great school and Ann Arbor is awesome along with being a top dental school. Both great schools though can't go wrong either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since the price is the same I'd say Michigan. It's a great school and Ann Arbor is awesome along with being a top dental school. Both great schools though can't go wrong either way.
Thanks for the thoughts, I think I know where I’ll be attending, but I could flip a coin to choose a school out of these two and be happy either way it landed.

Pitt. There’s no way that pitt in state coa is the same as umich oos coa. Umich oos coa is ~400k.
From what I have seen it would be within 5k for tuition at both. Pitt instate isn’t too much cheaper than for out of state and Michigan out of state is still a good price.

From what I have seen it would be within 5k for tuition at both. Pitt instate isn’t too much cheaper than for out of state and Michigan out of state is still a good price.
Okay, I looked it up, you’re right. What a rip for the IS pitt students. I take back what I said before, go to where your heart tells you haha.

Okay, I looked it up, you’re right. What a rip for the IS pitt students. I take back what I said before, go to where your heart tells you haha.
Haha I know, this would be a much easier decision if pitt instate was the same price as Michigan in state.