• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Michigan Psych Residencies

Dreamin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2002
OH
    Does anyone have any input on the quality and/or competitiveness of obtaining residencies in Michigan, particularly Wayne State University, Henry Ford U, and Michigan State University?

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
    Moderator Emeritus
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Dec 2, 2004
    Left of Center
    1. Attending Physician
      Dreamin said:
      Does anyone have any input on the quality and/or competitiveness of obtaining residencies in Michigan, particularly Wayne State University, Henry Ford U, and Michigan State University?

If you're in OH, why would you want to lower your standards? :D :p

Dreamin

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Oct 15, 2002
      OH
        OldPsychDoc said:
        If you're in OH, why would you want to lower your standards? :D :p

Ha ha, very funny! I'm a buckeye fan too, my friends and family will dis-own me! My significant other lives in Michigan...so it is to be closer to him. I've heard very good things about Wayne State...however, I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at any of these programs or has any input?

About the Ads

detroitdoc

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        May 23, 2005
          Hi Dreamin
          I am a 4th year at wayne state and am not interviewing officially there until the 18th but I know a good deal about the program. What I have heard overwhelmingly from residents, faculty, and the PD is that if you can treat the pateints at the DMC you can treat anyone. I did my 3rd year rotation at the DMC and also did an elective in child/adolescent. I enjoyed them both immensely. There is a lot of pathology and you will see some frank psychosis (kids and adults). The residents are pretty happy overall. There is practically only like 2-3 calls per month once you hit January of the 2nd year and virtually non by third year, none 4th year. They have good fellowships if oyu are interested (C/A; addiciton; geriatrics) and the faculty are cool and like to teach. I am strongly considering the program. I have not done a rotation at Henry Ford but I have spent some time talking to the PD and residents and they seem really cool, they have good schedules and they say they feel prepared. That is the basics...send me a PM if you have specific questions. :)

Dreamin said:
          Ha ha, very funny! I'm a buckeye fan too, my friends and family will dis-own me! My significant other lives in Michigan...so it is to be closer to him. I've heard very good things about Wayne State...however, I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at any of these programs or has any input?

Dreamin

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 15, 2002
          OH
            detroitdoc said:
            Hi Dreamin
            I am a 4th year at wayne state and am not interviewing officially there until the 18th but I know a good deal about the program. What I have heard overwhelmingly from residents, faculty, and the PD is that if you can treat the pateints at the DMC you can treat anyone. I did my 3rd year rotation at the DMC and also did an elective in child/adolescent. I enjoyed them both immensely. There is a lot of pathology and you will see some frank psychosis (kids and adults). The residents are pretty happy overall. There is practically only like 2-3 calls per month once you hit January of the 2nd year and virtually non by third year, none 4th year. They have good fellowships if oyu are interested (C/A; addiciton; geriatrics) and the faculty are cool and like to teach. I am strongly considering the program. I have not done a rotation at Henry Ford but I have spent some time talking to the PD and residents and they seem really cool, they have good schedules and they say they feel prepared. That is the basics...send me a PM if you have specific questions. :)

Thanks for the info DetroitDoc. I'm considering doing an elective at Wayne State this coming summer before applying. I may pm you closer to that time with questions. Best of luck to you with the residency interviews!

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.