Michigan State CHM vs MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awkappella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Have read may previous "vs." posts including both MCW and MSU-CHM, but wanted to see if there are any fresh perspectives on my situtaion.

Let me preface this novel by saying I'm not sure what I'd like to go into, but I really don't want to limit myself either way. Also, I have this deep-seated urge to leave the Midwest eventually.

MSU-CHM's potential:
-slightly, slightly cheaper (surprisingly)
-P/F for the first two years. Knowing my and many of our personalities, this grading system might allow me to better focus on Step 1/actually living and breathing during my last two years before clinicals really begin.
-If rotations happen in Grand Rapids, awesome facilities and great teaching, from what I've heard. Not a guarantee, obviously, there are various community sites as well (yes, I know that this is not necessarily negative).
-Hour away from home/living at home, depending on which campus I get placed at. I think the general familiarity with the area/state will make me feel more confident/in control, which can be important when you have hours worth of material thrown at you daily. I have a tendency sometimes to feel overwhelmed, but I feel that won't happen as much here.
-Undergrad campus, cool things like an amazing gospel choir and whatever else comes along with an undergrad campus (sports, gym, etc).

Drawbacks/Things I'm worried about:
-From what I've heard from current students, most people want to go into primary care, others would like to stay nearby because they have the priorities of family, etc. This is fine, but I'm concerned that IF I do decide to try to match into a more difficult specialty, there will be no precedent in the classes graduating before me and more importantly, no mentors to set me up properly.
-Research opps will be slightly less awesome (more bench, less clinical) in East Lansing if I am there during years 1 and 2. This isn't a huge deal.
-The dreaded name recognition thing, etc, etc. I won't go there further, but there it is.
-I have a fear of being trapped <100 miles from where I grew up! Haha, it's a weird personal thing. But I'm worried any confidence I gain will be offset by a feeling of being trapped/not belonging here.

MCW's potential:
-I loved it when I visited. Community seemed really supportive, nice facilities, access to Milwaukee is nice. Gym in the building is something I place way too much importance on, and they have that :) Convenient building hours.
-Seems to be a well-regarded school with pretty sizable NIH funding.
-Amazing children's hospital (Peds is sort of intriguing to me), I feel like the rotations here are the toughest thing to "give up" if I choose not to go here.
-Very diverse match list, I know I'm opening a Pandora's box here. I feel like there will be people around to advise me, whatever I choose to do.
-Great and very organized research opps for M1 summer.

Drawbacks/Things that worry me about MCW:
-Grading system is H/HP/P/LP/F. I know that this stuff isn't the number one concern of a residency director, but it's stressful! I'm not really one of those smart med students who consciously takes a P during 2nd year because at that point, Step 1 prep is more important. I can already see myself frazzled about this during 2nd year, not necessarily winning either battle, just stressing more.
-I feel that in general, there will be more competition than at MSU CHM (which is known for being a freakishly collegial and nurturing environment). That said, I did get a great feeling at my interview, I'm just worried if I go there, which is sort of far from home for me, I'll be intimidated and frazzled all the time.
-I also feel that because there is no undergrad associated with MCW, I'll be thinking about medicine/the medical world literally all the time during M1 and M2 (I'm choosing to look at these two years as my very last chance to do something involving music, etc etc and I feel like I won't have that time at MCW).

I'm writing this post because I wrote out my withdrawal letter for MCW this morning and just couldn't bring myself to send it! It feels like I'm turning down the shiny med school that caught my eye first, and that's really hard! MSU feels like a practical choice, but I've spoken to more people from that institution. Would any MCW students/incoming M1's like to jump in?

Awesome, really sorry to write this novel. Help me with my life decisions, fellow SDN-ers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Current MCW M1 student here. It sounds like you've put a lot of effort into the pros/cons of each school so since it's proving to be such a difficult decision that probably means that you'd thrive at either school! I'm obviously biased but I can say that I too agonized and superanalyzed every aspect of my top two schools before landing on MCW. I can say that I've been happy w/ my decision. Our facilities are very nice, people are very nice, for me the price was right, etc. I guess I best advice I can give is to just pick that school that you tend to "daydream" about the most. You obviously like both schools, but when you're just chillaxin' in the evening, thinking about med school is there a particular environment you envision? If so, decide which school most closely fits those criteria and withdraw from the other. If you have any questions today, feel free to PM me.

Good luck on your success!

M2 at MCW who is prepping for Step 1

1. The atmosphere here is much more cooperative than competitive. I have never had an instance where I felt another student was out to get me. Rather the opposite, much I what I have learned, I learned from classmates.

2. Step 1 prep- The courses are designed to teach you nearly everything you need to know for the test. You will be more than adequately prepared for the exam if you are willing to work (something universally true of almost all med schools)

3. You'll probably be equally happy and equally successful at both places, so don't stress about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly you think less people have heard of MSU, a big 10 university, then MCW a private medical/other stuff school?

Look at the MSU match list, people match all over and into every specialty. Yes a lot of people CHOOSE to go into primary care at MSU, but nothing is forcing them to. Why this stereotype keeps getting perpetuated I don't know.

You sound like you liked Milwaukee so I would go to MCW but don't be an naive and assume MSU won't get you to where you want to go.

Last edited:
I've only read a handful of these 1 school vs another school threads, and it usually involves one relatively closer to home. Did you go to a nearby school in your undergrad? If so, how important was the family support there? (Or conversely if not, how important would it have been?) You said you wanted to leave teh midwest eventually, so does wisconsin qualify? BTW You'll have other chances to leave in residency or later on in your career.

Honestly you think less people have heard of MSU, a big 10 university, then MCW a private medical/other stuff school?

In the medical community, yes. I've had numerous doctors tell me that the faculty/admins at MCW are better connected, and that it matters during the match.

I know that you can go anywhere from anywhere. I've heard this so many times and I agree. However, at a school like MCW better mechanisms might be in place to secure those elusive residencies, to get help from M4s that have matched into them, and to give me access to a bunch of specialty/track-specific mentors.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help so far everyone! Still sitting here agonizing, have ruined the weekend for a few people :/ Jump in if you want!

MCW does have great hospitals and the urban environment in which they're located will expose you to a good variety of patients and cases. I will be going to UW-Madison and one thing I'm jealous of the folks at MCW is their hospitals.

I'm an M1 at MCW. Like you, I had a very hard time picking a school and really debated right up until the deadline. That said, I'm very happy at MCW.

While it is true that we have H/HP/P grading, it doesn't create a competitive environment at all, b/c the percentages for each grade are set out from the beginning of each class. (ie, no curve). For example, genetics is the first class you take as an M1. It's just a little three week course. I'm not looking at the paper right now, but I think the honors cutoff was around a 90 and approx 150/200 people got honors. Off course, that high of a percentage ppl honoring a class is unusual, but the point is that there is no need for other students not to help each other.

As an M1 I can't speak for step 1 prep, but I can tell you that our phys class has lined up very well with BRS Phys and I'm using the High Yield Neuro review book to help study for our neuro final.

I'm from the northeast and, while sometimes I wish I was close to home, like when people's parents bring them food for the week, it is nice to experience something else for a while. I plan on going back to NYC (if possible) for residency, but it's always good to experience new things. There are plenty of ppl in my class from close by, and plenty of people from all over the country.

In terms of research, there are plenty of opportunities here, especially if you chose the Physician Scientist pathway.

I don't know anything about MSU but as a US MD school I'm sure you can succeed from either school.

If you have any specific questions let me know. I'd be happy to try and help.

I don't think at this point you're going to hear anything that is going to convince you one way or the other by tomorrow. Go with your gut. Both are good schools with pros and cons for each. Whichever you feel most comfortable with, recognizing that you will be nervous about either, is the right choice for you! Good luck :)

MSU, and I felt like I was filing a divorce! Ultimately I think a few things about my personality would make CHM a better place for me, but MCW students on and off SDN were so supportive and helpful. Thanks guys!

MSU, and I felt like I was filing a divorce! Ultimately I think a few things about my personality would make CHM a better place for me, but MCW students on and off SDN were so supportive and helpful. Thanks guys!

Congrats on your decision. Good luck in med school!

Status
Not open for further replies.