Michigan State CHM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DelAGator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
was interested in Michigan State and noticed that there was a Osteopathic and MD route.

Is there a huge difference in training, in the clinical setting. I heard that the DO and MD students attend the same lecture MS1 and MS2. Is that true?

Is there a difference in the type of residencies you can get?
Possible Plastic Surgery?
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

the bottom line is that DO=MD. Except that they are at a disadvantage when trying to place into competitive residencies. unfair? yes. but that's the way the system is. so just keep that in mind. (plastics is very competitive)

doc05 said:
the bottom line is that DO=MD. Except that they are at a disadvantage when trying to place into competitive residencies. unfair? yes. but that's the way the system is. so just keep that in mind. (plastics is very competitive)

Go DO only if you can't make MD. Otherwise MD is better overall, b/c it keeps your options open for all residencies. Also its easier, b.c you are learning one way. With DO you learn the DO philosophy in addition to MD, and chances are you will be working in capacity of an MD not a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
DelAGator said:
was interested in Michigan State and noticed that there was a Osteopathic and MD route.

Is there a huge difference in training, in the clinical setting. I heard that the DO and MD students attend the same lecture MS1 and MS2. Is that true?

To semi-answer your specific questions...
*yes, there are a few of the basic science classes that the MD and DO students attend together (only during the first year). The MD students have an extended first year so that they can get all of the basics done and then have problem based learning for the entire second year.
*there are different types of classes that the MD and DO students take during first 2 years. DO students take OMM and I believe the clinical correlation classes are different.
*The clinical trainging is also done slightly different. After the first 2 years, the MD students rotate at a particular community hospital around michigan (grand rapids, flint, saginaw, lansing, or in the UP).
*From what I have always heard I have gathered that DO students are taught a different philosophy that focuses on treating the individual, rather than the disease- a more holistic philospohy.
*As the above posters have mentioned, the MD route will probably open more doors for you if you wish to specialize and an MD is more well recepted around that nation(and world)than a DO.

DelAGator said:

The training and clinical setting between those two schools is pretty similar. They only attend lectures together during MS1.

There is a big difference in the residencies you can get, as alluded to above. If you want to go competitive, going DO will be a definite disadvantage, although anything is possible.

If your question is about MSU specifically, MSU-CHM is going to cost you $38,000/year in out of state tuition for 4 years. Very few, limited scholarships available. A nice school but an expensive choice.

Fun8stuff,
I'm correcting you because you are wrong...

COMers spend their 3rd and 4th years at different hospitals around the state also. In fact, they actually have more clinical options than CHM. However, many are very small community hospitals, with the exceptions being POH in Pontiac and Genesis in Flint. It sucks because it's not a given that you will get the hospital you want. One person I know of actually dropped out after being assigned to a bad hospital.

we take classes with COM for our basic sciences which is just 1st yr. 2nd yr we do PBL on our own.
1st yr DO students actually go way into the summer that MD students because of Do classes.
ddmoore thanks for correcting, COMers move 3rd and 4th yr

It all comes down to what u want, whichever one u choose, make sure u choose teh one that best fits u and go into it for the right reasons.

CAPA

~cringe~