Michigan State College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curtizz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out that goes to MSUCOM? Please give me some advice on what exactly they're looking for in applicants. What could I do to make myself very appealing to them. I really want to go there.

Members don't see this ad.

Move to Michigan and gain full-time employment for at least a year. Change all your correspondence to a MI address. Then you might have a shot. Or get a 4.0, ace the MCAT, volunteer 30 hrs/wk and have an exquisite personality.

I would agree with moving to MI and establishing residency, if you aren't a MI resident now. The biggest thing that they're looking for is a genuine, hard-working student that knows about osteopathic medicine, has investigated MSUCOM (knows it's strengths-why it's a good match for you), and academic strength. The GPA avg for this year's class is ~3.6 with a 8.6 avg MCAT. It would also help if you toured the school. Have a letter from a D.O. Read some books about Osteopathic Medicine (remember their titles), etc. A book that I'd recommend is D.O.s in America, by Norman Gevitz. The more Osteopathic exposure you have the better you'll be ranked! Their is a separate form for their secondary that asks about your exposure to osteopathic medicine (shadowing opportunities, relatives that are D.O.s, books that you've read about Osteopathic Medicine, Osteopathic Schools that you've visited, etc). Good luck with your application process.

Are you kidding me? You can lie and act like you are so DO oriented and how primary care is your dream and you can still get in. I know some people who are there and they didn't know anything about DO's. Bottomline? Who knows what a school wants in an applicant. Look around in each of your classes and you'll see people that are so different and have different stats and backgrounds. Just because you got accepted into a school doesn't mean you know what they want in their applicants. Even if you sit in on the admissions board as a student you still don't know much. People can give out as much advice as they want, but take them all with a grain of salt.