Michigan State University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS waitlist #45, will be removing myself because I got into Cornell. Good luck waitlisters!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If there are any ISers who are taking themselves off the waitlist or are declining their seats to go elsewhere please let me know!

Waitlisted #1 position. Is there a separate waitlist for OOS than IS? And do they pull in-state students first before OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted #1 position. Is there a separate waitlist for OOS than IS? And do they pull in-state students first before OOS?
I think there is a separate waitlist and I think that if an OOS student declines, they pull the next OOS off the waitlist.

Waitlisted, second school out of the 3 I interviewed (or whatever the next step was) at to waitlist me, feeling honestly awful at this point
Honestly I was right there with you. I applied to 5, rejected at 2 and “interviewed” at 3. I have gotten waitlisted at 2 and this was my last school to hear from. It only takes one!

Congrats everyone accepted! IS acceptance myself! Selected for waitlist at my top choice (Minnesota) today too

There are two separate wait lists. As alissa14 said- if an OOS seat is declined- the next person on the OOS waitlist gets pulled.
Same with IS.
If you’re waitlisted at #1 you should have no issue whether you’re IS or OOS- someone always declines. Good luck!

There are two separate wait lists. As alissa14 said- if an OOS seat is declined- the next person on the OOS waitlist gets pulled.
Same with IS.
If you’re waitlisted at #1 you should have no issue whether you’re IS or OOS- someone always declines. Good luck!
@kritib432 hey at least you’re #1! I’m over here nervous about being #8 because I feel like it’s right in that area where there’s a good chance either way whether or not I’ll be offered a seat!

I wouldn’t count this though. I look more at those who were waitlisted and then ultimately accepted! I think it’s a better gauge of how many IS actually decline their seat because there are people in between on the waitlist that will accept elsewhere
I’m not really sure what you mean by this. The IS waitlist moved 20 spots last year- it doesn’t matter if they removed themselves from the waitlist because they got accepted elsewhere or if they ended up being offered a seat and declined it- regardless the waitlist moved 20 spots. Some years it moves less than that, some years more but last year is a gauge for how much it may move in a “covid” year

@kritib432 hey at least you’re #1! I’m over here nervous about being #8 because I feel like it’s right in that area where there’s a good chance either way whether or not I’ll be offered a seat!
Imagine how i feel being #138 😂 . Goodluck everyone!

I’m not really sure what you mean by this. The IS waitlist moved 20 spots last year- it doesn’t matter if they removed themselves from the waitlist because they got accepted elsewhere or if they ended up being offered a seat and declined it- regardless the waitlist moved 20 spots. Some years it moves less than that, some years more but last year is a gauge for how much it may move in a “covid” year

I think what she means is that the whole waitlist didn't really move 20 spots. The person you knew moved 20 spots.

But let's say for example every single person accepted their seat, so no one actually got pulled from the waitlist. But 20 people accepted offers elsewhere and removed themselves from the waitlist. Someone who was originally spot #50 would find themselves at spot #30. Because 20 people ahead of them moved off.

For people higher than your friend, it likely moved more than 20 spots. For people lower than your friend it may have moved less.

People who remove themselves only impact people behind them--and even then it means nothing if people don't decline seats. People who decline seats impact the whole list.

FWIW The class profile from last year said 73 IS applicants were selected and 62 were admitted. So about 11 people declined offers last years.

Reactions: 4 users
I think what she means is that the whole waitlist didn't really move 20 spots. The person you knew moved 20 spots.

But let's say for example every single person accepted their seat, so no one actually got pulled from the waitlist. But 20 people accepted offers elsewhere and removed themselves from the waitlist. Someone who was originally spot #50 would find themselves at spot #30. Because 20 people ahead of them moved off.

For people higher than your friend, it likely moved more than 20 spots. For people lower than your friend it may have moved less.

People who remove themselves only impact people behind them--and even then it means nothing if people don't decline seats. People who decline seats impact the whole list.

FWIW The class profile from last year said 73 IS applicants were selected and 62 were admitted. So about 11 people declined offers last years.
I wonder how many offers they sent this year since the email they sent us said there were approximately 60 IS seats

I wonder how many offers they sent this year since the email they sent us said there were approximately 60 IS seats
For OOS they specifically told us that they don’t over-accept, so they only sent as many offers as there are seats and then start pulling from the waitlist ig

Members don't see this ad :)
For OOS they specifically told us that they don’t over-accept, so they only sent as many offers as there are seats and then start pulling from the waitlist ig
That’s what I thought I heard for IS too. So I’m guessing I heard right! Thanks for the clarification!

• Care

Oh yeah- gotcha - that makes sense. In that case looking at last year's OOS- 124 were selected and 54 accepted so 70 people declined their seat. That's good news for those on the OOS wait list!

Although my point was that if you move up on the waitlist (by whatever reason)- you are moving closer if a seat opens.

I apologize- I got my PhD at MSU in Wildlife Biology- you apply for a specific research project under a specific professor and they pick one person from all those who applied- so I've never had to deal with a waitlist- you only get a yes or a no.

I'm on this site simply to get (and share) information about the application process as my daughter has been applying the past few years- she got an IS acceptance finally! But over the years she was applying it helped to hear what other applicants were saying about timelines and all that.

Good luck to all of you kids - hang in there even if this year doesn't work out for you- don't give up your dream until you're sure you're ready to. You can always get an advanced degree in the meantime (my daughter got an MS in genetics/repro biology) which gives you both a chance to see how you'll do in a grad level program (It's quite different from undergrad), gives you research/lab experience, as well as additional references for your application from your research committee. Or get a job at a vet clinic, dairy farm, etc to tide you over. Most people don't get in their first try, so have your improvement plan ready just in case- while you work towards the next cycle. If this is not your first time applying then you already know all this but since I work at MSU and think it's a great place to be - just wanted to provide some encouragement.

Reactions: 1 users
I just saw on FB someone said they were declining their IS seat so congrats!!!

Has anyone else started on that ‘veterinary medicine application’?? The employment and activity section has me a bit confused about what to all list 😅

Does anyone know if they’ve started a Facebook page yet?

I wish they had real time updates for the waitlist, like a Google doc you can click into to see where you are and two different lists for is and oos

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone else started on that ‘veterinary medicine application’?? The employment and activity section has me a bit confused about what to all list 😅
Yes! I have spent the last 3 hours doing all of that stuff haha. I just listed everything that I've been doing since graduation. It only lets you enter in like 5-6 experiences, so you have to pick and choose. It says to even include travel and activities so I included getting married and traveling for the military with my husband. I also included my employment with the clinic I'm working at and the research I did after my bachelor's. I didn't overthink it!!

Yes! I have spent the last 3 hours doing all of that stuff haha. I just listed everything that I've been doing since graduation. It only lets you enter in like 5-6 experiences, so you have to pick and choose. It says to even include travel and activities so I included getting married and traveling for the military with my husband. I also included my employment with the clinic I'm working at and the research I did after my bachelor's. I didn't overthink it!!
I am 100% overthinking it so thank you so much!! It confused me a bit because it was like 'include all activities in college' and then gives us 5-6 places to add things??

I’ve been hearing from a lot of students that the list moves fairly quickly! :) Goodluck!

I am 100% overthinking it so thank you so much!! It confused me a bit because it was like 'include all activities in college' and then gives us 5-6 places to add things??
Right!! I read that and was like oh boy here we go and pulled out my resume to reference and then saw there were only a few spots 😂😂 I think at this point we’re in, and what we choose to include there doesn’t really matter. I was definitely over thinking it and then stopped myself!

IS waitlist #34. Not feeling super great. Anyone know if we/how we will get updates as the waitlist moves?

Right!! I read that and was like oh boy here we go and pulled out my resume to reference and then saw there were only a few spots 😂😂 I think at this point we’re in, and what we choose to include there doesn’t really matter. I was definitely over thinking it and then stopped myself!
I was so ready to start up my VMCAS because I can't remember some of the dates exactly off the top of my head xD And that's fair! I'm assuming this might be our place to add in any new jobs or activity or something we may have done since we submitted out applications all those months ago!!

My mind still hasn't fully accepted my acceptance so it's definitely running a little wonky right now--

I was so ready to start up my VMCAS because I can't remember some of the dates exactly off the top of my head xD And that's fair! I'm assuming this might be our place to add in any new jobs or activity or something we may have done since we submitted out applications all those months ago!!

My mind still hasn't fully accepted my acceptance so it's definitely running a little wonky right now--
Same!!! I found out when I was at work yesterday and had to reread it so many times and have the doctor read it to make sure I wasn’t imagining it 😂😂. I definitely was not expecting to hear yesterday and it’s still so surreal!!!

Same!!! I found out when I was at work yesterday and had to reread it so many times and have the doctor read it to make sure I wasn’t imagining it 😂😂. I definitely was not expecting to hear yesterday and it’s still so surreal!!!
Okay okay-- more questions, but did the 'intent to enroll' form for you also say 'Class of 2024' and 'will enroll for Fall 2020'? I clicked the form from the 2025 selected candidates page but it doesn't seem like it's for us xD

Okay okay-- more questions, but did the 'intent to enroll' form for you also say 'Class of 2024' and 'will enroll for Fall 2020'? I clicked the form from the 2025 selected candidates page but it doesn't seem like it's for us xD
Yes 😂 I also noticed that, but it’s the only option so I signed it and emailed it back, but I did include in my email that the link only went to the 2024 form, so maybe they’ll update us or something. But I just wanted to get it all in.

I'm just on a roll with questions again-- but I graduated a little over a year ago and haven't taken any new courses since so the transcript submitted to VMCAS was my final one, but do I still need to send in a transcript to them? Just making sure I've got all my bases covered tbh xD

I'm just on a roll with questions again-- but I graduated a little over a year ago and haven't taken any new courses since so the transcript submitted to VMCAS was my final one, but do I still need to send in a transcript to them? Just making sure I've got all my bases covered tbh xD
No! If you aren’t currently enrolled in classes (or I guess enrolled in either fall 20 or spring 21 semester) and everything was verified through VMCAS then you’re good. I’m in the same boat :)

Actually, now that I reread that portion of the website I’m not completely sure 🙈🙈🙈 does anyone else have the answer to this? Do we need to submit all transcripts to them??

OOS waitlisted. I will be declining this. Goodluck to you all.

Also, I noticed they just fixed this! The correct form is up. I resent mine. 😆

Actually, now that I reread that portion of the website I’m not completely sure 🙈🙈🙈 does anyone else have the answer to this? Do we need to submit all transcripts to them??
Debating on whether to email them or not xD

Debating on whether to email them or not xD
I was thinking the same! I just submitted a post on the FB page to see if anyone can clarify that... especially if any current MSU students know from their experience last year. I wish they weren’t so vague on the website haha. I feel like it would be unnecessary for us to send transcripts that are already verified through VMCAS, but I don’t want to assume after rereading how they worded it.

OOS Waitlist position #35! If we move up to the point where we would get a seat will they contact us at that time?

can you explain what this is? I haven’t looked into what’s next after being accepted yet

can you explain what this is? I haven’t looked into what’s next after being accepted yet
In the email offering admissions, there’s a link to the ‘2025 Selected Candidates’ page where it tells you what the next steps are! One of the steps is to fill out and submit the ‘veterinary medicine application’.

As for a facebook page, I haven’t heard or seen anything yet.

OOS Alternate #34 - does anyone know if moving around 60 spots is typical? I'm trying to stay positive but also gauge my chances here 😬 Congratulations to all those accepted! :)
Two years ago I was #34 :)

I filled that out and submitted yesterday. I asked my friend who is currently a year 1 in the program, and he said we don't need to be as specific as we were on our original application on the portal. There isn't even an option to add more experiences, so I just put my last few jobs on there and left out a bunch of my other extra-curriculars. It's probably just there for a paper trail and official application to the school/program. I'm still waiting on my student ID so i can set up my email. Also, did anyone else notice that the intent to enroll form is still set at 2024? Did anybody fill it out or are we waiting for them to update?
See ya'll in the fall :))

I haven't been able to find a facebook page yet, so I made one!

I filled that out and submitted yesterday. I asked my friend who is currently a year 1 in the program, and he said we don't need to be as specific as we were on our original application on the portal. There isn't even an option to add more experiences, so I just put my last few jobs on there and left out a bunch of my other extra-curriculars. It's probably just there for a paper trail and official application to the school/program. I'm still waiting on my student ID so i can set up my email. Also, did anyone else notice that the intent to enroll form is still set at 2024? Did anybody fill it out or are we waiting for them to update?
See ya'll in the fall :))
They updated the intent to enroll form so I sent that in yesterday! And yeah, I added my last few experiences and called it a day 😅

I just need to know if I need to send my transcript or not since I graduated in 2018 and haven’t taken any more classes so VMCAS had my final transcript—

OOS Accepted! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Hi first year here lol. If you’ve completed all your prerequisites and those transcripts were sent in with VMCAS then you don’t need to send anymore transcripts. They would have sent you an email letting you know if you where missing any classes. Last year I was taking a class but it wasn’t required for MSU specifically and they told me I didn’t have to even submit that because it wasn’t a prerequisite. Hope that helps!! Congrats everyone!!

Hi first year here lol. If you’ve completed all your prerequisites and those transcripts were sent in with VMCAS then you don’t need to send anymore transcripts. They would have sent you an email letting you know if you where missing any classes. Last year I was taking a class but it wasn’t required for MSU specifically and they told me I didn’t have to even submit that because it wasn’t a prerequisite. Hope that helps!! Congrats everyone!!
Ok that helps SO much. Thank you!!