Michigan State University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I was also confused about the Casper timing and interviews. I’m sure they are just checking the applications as they come in and sending out requests for Casper as soon as they see you’ve met the basic requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I was also confused about the Casper timing and interviews. I’m sure they are just checking the applications as they come in and sending out requests for Casper as soon as they see you’ve met the basic requirements.
I honestly hope so, I am kinda freaking out because I haven't received an invite for CASPER but I turned in my application literally on the 15th so I am assuming that they are still sorting through the applications

I wonder if we'll hear back earlier about acceptances since they're doing CASPer for interviews?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if we'll hear back earlier about acceptances since they're doing CASPer for interviews?
Virginia-Maryland is drastically upping they’re timeline because of this, so we can hope!

I havent recieved anything from them about interviews or the casper test and I was verified on Sept 2

are you guys IS or OOS? I’m IS and recieved an invite two days or so after verification (the email was time stamped for like 11:30pm which was odd). They may be sending them to IS first?

I'm OOS and I received the invite for casper second week of September, so I have no idea how they're reviewing applications

Has anyone got a message that they don’t qualify for a Casper interview? I can’t tell if everyone is getting a chance at the interview or not.

Hello! I'm a first time IS applicant. I took the CASPer test on the 24th (haven't recieved an interview invite yet, but wanted to take it asap), but haven't done the "snapshot" portion of the test yet. Does anyone know if MSU is requiring/accepting this section? When I go to the "dates and fees" page to find out, there isn't anything in the "snapshot" column for MSU. Thanks!

Hello! I'm a first time IS applicant. I took the CASPer test on the 24th (haven't recieved an interview invite yet, but wanted to take it asap), but haven't done the "snapshot" portion of the test yet. Does anyone know if MSU is requiring/accepting this section? When I go to the "dates and fees" page to find out, there isn't anything in the "snapshot" column for MSU. Thanks!
MSU does not require Snapshot

I accidentally posted before finishing! I got an email from them that they do not require or look at the snapshot. Just the test itself!!

As a current student, it is with a heavy heart that I post that I cannot recommend MSU if you have other options. The current admin and the new curriculum is a disorganized disaster with infighting, grade inflation, and no student support. I recommend waiting to attend MSU until after the class of 2022 completes the NAVLE to see how the pass rate changes.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
As a current student, it is with a heavy heart that I post that I cannot recommend MSU if you have other options. The current admin and the new curriculum is a disorganized disaster with infighting, grade inflation, and no student support. I recommend waiting to attend MSU until after the class of 2022 completes the NAVLE to see how the pass rate changes.
Thank you for this advice!!

Reactions: 1 user

This is so disappointing to hear as I was so excited about the new curriculum, it seemed so innovative!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current student, albeit a first year, so my experience with the curriculum has been limited, especially with classes being 100% online... but I personally really enjoy the general setup of the classes/curriculum. I think having the ability to focus on one subject has been extremely beneficial to my learning, and I am surprised at how much I am retaining. In addition, I feel like I'm not as overwhelmed as I otherwise would be if the courses ran alongside each other the entire semester. There are disappointments, sure, especially with not being in-person, but I am remaining optimistic that the admin is putting forth a plan to allow hybrid learning to return in the spring. I have also been impressed with my professors compassion shown to my classmates and I, they truly care and want to see you succeed.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

This is what I’ve heard unfortunately. Very sad to hear because MSU has been my dream since I was in kindergarten.

I accidentally posted before finishing! I got an email from them that they do not require or look at the snapshot. Just the test itself!!
I don’t think any schools are requiring the snapshot.. at least the other ones I applied to (K-State & Purdue)

I am a current student, albeit a first year, so my experience with the curriculum has been limited, especially with classes being 100% online... but I personally really enjoy the general setup of the classes/curriculum. I think having the ability to focus on one subject has been extremely beneficial to my learning, and I am surprised at how much I am retaining. In addition, I feel like I'm not as overwhelmed as I otherwise would be if the courses ran alongside each other the entire semester. There are disappointments, sure, especially with not being in-person, but I am remaining optimistic that the admin is putting forth a plan to allow hybrid learning to return in the spring. I have also been impressed with my professors compassion shown to my classmates and I, they truly care and want to see you succeed.
I'm glad you are having a positive experience and I felt exactly the same as you do now during first year as well. I was a HUGE advocate for my entire first year of the new curriculum. I just thought it was hiccups in a new program. Our classes are STILL incomplete. I truly think prospective students should be aware that many students feel that the administration is failing them and we are very worried about NAVLE and how it will go for 2022.

This is so disappointing to hear as I was so excited about the new curriculum, it seemed so innovative!
Yes they sell it very well and now refuse to return emails about even the most simple of questions like when does winter break end. 2022 doesn't even have a schedule yet for post October 26th.

• Wow
I'm glad you are having a positive experience and I felt exactly the same as you do now during first year as well. I was a HUGE advocate for my entire first year of the new curriculum. I just thought it was hiccups in a new program. Our classes are STILL incomplete. I truly think prospective students should be aware that many students feel that the administration is failing them and we are very worried about NAVLE and how it will go for 2022.

I never heard any massive complaints from lower classes until the end of last year... which is when COVID happened and is still impacting everything. When exactly did you start having a problem that was more than expected hiccups?

Thank you for being honest, I was unaware of the new curriculum. While I encourage change for improvements, I am very sad that to hear there is disorganization. If I were a student, I would be very upset and scared especially when it comes to quality education and the NAVLE. Also, I would be upset because I am spending a lot of money on tuition. I hope things get better for you guys soon.

I got my invite for the CASPER test today! Well, that makes me feel relieved! I submitted my application on 9/15 and I took my CASPER exam on the 9/9. It's too bad I don't know my scores though.. For those who haven't taken the CASPER test, breathe. It's more relaxed than the GRE and they offer free practice exams. You all will do well! I have faith in you!!

Has anyone else still not received invites for CASPER?

Has anyone else still not received invites for CASPER?
I haven't, but I did already submit my scores while I was sending others to other schools, so maybe that's why? Not sure how it would work if I hadn't submitted them already...

From what I understand based on their website and communications with their office. CASPer is in place of interviews, not everyone will receive invites, only competitive applicants. After the initial review of applications, invitations are then sent out to applicants selected for an "interview" or CASPer test for this cycle. You have the option of sending previous scores (I did this by just going into my account after getting the invite and selecting Michigan) or you can register for a test date. They still have the following dates available with the testing system to be sent to Michigan:

Oct 13, 2020 - 8:00 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2020 - 5:00 PM EDT
Nov 17, 2020 - 8:00 PM EST
Dec 10, 2020 - 5:00 PM EST

I am not sure how they would handle those who sent scores before being requested or without request. I would assume you would have gotten the invitation still if selected. I would also think that they will pull all CASPer results following the final test date and cross pull the list with those invited and look at results as they determine final ranks. This section is my speculation, I do not know for certain.

If you haven't received a request, remember no news is good news because you are still in the running and I would not stress.

As for those of us who received invitations before October, I don't know why they started sending them early. My only thought is their admissions committee is being proactive in their review process to speed up decision times as other schools are doing by reviewing applications as they were coming in early. Now that the deadline has passed I would assume there was a massive influx of applications for them to sort through, all this to say again, just relax. Unfortunately, this is a time-consuming process and there is added uncertainty with how COVID has impacted this cycle. All we can do is brew some coffee or hot chocolate, eat those amazing Halloween cookies (you know those with the pumpkins or ghost on them) and stream your favorite spooky movie while we wait through October for what it may bring. :)

Reactions: 2 users
As for those of us who received invitations before October, I don't know why they started sending them early. My only thought is their admissions committee is being proactive in their review process to speed up decision times as other schools are doing by reviewing applications as they were coming in early. Now that the deadline has passed I would assume there was a massive influx of applications for them to sort through, all this to say again, just relax. Unfortunately, this is a time-consuming process and there is added uncertainty with how COVID has impacted this cycle. All we can do is brew some coffee or hot chocolate, eat those amazing Halloween cookies (you know those with the pumpkins or ghost on them) and stream your favorite spooky movie while we wait through October for what it may bring. :)
I am assuming that since there are no interviews this cycle then that gives the admission committee more time to start looking at applications. I am sure that it takes a good chunk of time to prep for interviews, prepare the school for tours and incoming interviewees, etc. and now since there are not doing that this year they can send out interview decisions early.

I just received an e-mail from Michigan State saying they will not be contacting us until November unless we are missing application materials, so I guess no more CASPER invites until then?

I just received an e-mail from Michigan State saying they will not be contacting us until November unless we are missing application materials, so I guess no more CASPER invites until then?

I didn’t get an email. Was this a mass email or a reply?

I did not receive that email from them but I did get an invite to CASPer last month, are they only sending this email out to students who haven't heard anything yet?

I did not receive that email from them but I did get an invite to CASPer last month, are they only sending this email out to students who haven't heard anything yet?

Are you IS or OOS. Maybe they’re only sending to OOS? Now I’m panicking

I'm OOS and have not gotten an invite but received the email this morning about not sending anything out until November!

I'm OOS and have not gotten an invite but received the email this morning about not sending anything out until November!

I have no idea what they are doing! I wish we would know something. I got an invite for Casper but didn’t get an email about not sending anything till November

I’m also OOS! Second time applicant, today was the first I’ve heard anything from them.

I never heard any massive complaints from lower classes until the end of last year... which is when COVID happened and is still impacting everything. When exactly did you start having a problem that was more than expected hiccups?
It seems like these last two semesters have really exacerbated our frustrations. I know most of us were very positive first year, and at least for me, I kept trying to say that second year sucked because, well it sucks, but really second semester, even prior to COVID was very surprising. They tried to stuff all of musculoskeletal into 2 weeks, including learning all of Dejardin's surgical options for orthopedics. We didn't have a schedule for all of April Spring of 2020 before COVID even happened. We really tried to give them leeway once COVID started, but then for Fall 2020 to AGAIN not have one of our classes ready or AGAIN not give a schedule to us til a week prior to start and then it was only three weeks, and then the Sunday that 3 week period ended we got just 6 more weeks (that was just M-F 8-12 - very simple, no sections, just refused to release that info??). I'm not sure why you think that you would have heard about these issues, are you in our private facebook page? I'm guessing not since your profile says you are a 4th year.

I have no idea what they are doing! I wish we would know something. I got an invite for Casper but didn’t get an email about not sending anything till November
I am assuming if you didn't receive an invite then you probably won't hear back from the school until November(possible interview alternate??). I am also wondering when decisions will be released since they are moving quickly with the application process.

We didn't have a schedule for all of April Spring of 2020 before COVID even happened. We really tried to give them leeway once COVID started, but then for Fall 2020 to AGAIN not have one of our classes ready or AGAIN not give a schedule to us til a week prior to start and then it was only three weeks, and then the Sunday that 3 week period ended we got just 6 more weeks (that was just M-F 8-12 - very simple, no sections, just refused to release that info??).
This is not just an MSU struggle. Illinois doesn’t give us our schedule until maybe the week before classes. With COVID in March we got our schedule just a couple days before starting back up online after spring break. We don’t have a schedule for the second 8 weeks of this semester yet either and probably won’t until next week. We have had many lectures videos either not uploaded, uploaded late, or changed to a zoom live lecture with no notice (literally not even an email saying it was live, leading to 90% of the class showing up 20 minutes late, if at all). We have three different websites we have to check for lecture recordings and lecture powerpoints. It’s annoying, but its not the worst thing. It’s because we are in a ****ing pandemic and things are crazy right now and EVERYONE (faculty, admin, students) is trying to adjust.

I'm not sure why you think that you would have heard about these issues, are you in our private facebook page? I'm guessing not since your profile says you are a 4th year.

Not sure why you're being hostile toward me for asking questions. I am friends with people in other classes and have talked with them at length about the curriculum and some of the issues they've had. And I have heard about more recent isssues... I just didn't hear major complaints prior to end of last year. Which actually lines up with what you're saying anyways.

Not sure why you're being hostile toward me for asking questions. I am friends with people in other classes and have talked with them at length about the curriculum and some of the issues they've had. And I have heard about more recent isssues... I just didn't hear major complaints prior to end of last year. Which actually lines up with what you're saying anyways.
I apologize for being hostile I just felt like you were trying to imply I was not a real student or something

This is not just an MSU struggle. Illinois doesn’t give us our schedule until maybe the week before classes. With COVID in March we got our schedule just a couple days before starting back up online after spring break. We don’t have a schedule for the second 8 weeks of this semester yet either and probably won’t until next week. We have had many lectures videos either not uploaded, uploaded late, or changed to a zoom live lecture with no notice (literally not even an email saying it was live, leading to 90% of the class showing up 20 minutes late, if at all). We have three different websites we have to check for lecture recordings and lecture powerpoints. It’s annoying, but its not the worst thing. It’s because we are in a ****ing pandemic and things are crazy right now and EVERYONE (faculty, admin, students) is trying to adjust.
Have you also had 2.5 years of 3 week long classes that were not finished prior to starting them? That had content created and added after the class was already finished "for the next class"? And just being told over and over again that your struggles help the next year? I doubt it. The scheduling issues happened prior to covid which is what I was trying to tell you. We don't have schedules because they are creating our classes on the fly and they aren't done yet. We were told that year two will be ready in time and then it wasn't. We were told year three would be ready in time and then it wasn't. I think its important for someone, anyone, to tell these students that its a **** show and they should go somewhere else if they can.

Last edited:
Have you also had 2.5 years of 3 week long classes that were not finished prior to starting them? That had content created and added after the class was already finished "for the next class"? And just being told over and over again that your struggles help the next year? I doubt it. The scheduling issues happened prior to covid which is what I was trying to tell you. We don't have schedules because they are creating our classes on the fly and they aren't done yet. We were told that year two will be ready in time and then it wasn't. We were told year three would be ready in time and then it wasn't. I think its important for someone, anyone, to tell these students that its a **** show and they should go somewhere else if they can.
For the record (and as a 1st year), it seems like these issues are specific to your class being the guinea pigs for the new curriculum. So I don’t think it’s fair to tell new applicants to stay away from MSU when it’s much better after a few years of figuring out the kinks. AND figuring out how to teach professional students during a pandemic. J/S :shrug:

Reactions: 4 users
I’m a little bit confused about MSU’s use of the CASPer test this year as well. I received my CASPer invite on 9/16 about a week after being verified by VMCAS, but it was time stamped for 11 pm so I’m assuming it was an automated batch or something. However, based on the wording of the email, I met the academic performance requirement so then I was invited to send my scores? So it sounds like if you meet that GPA minimum, you get an invite? But their website clearly states they’re using it in place of in person interviews— and when I emailed MSU about it I got the same feedback— but it also clearly states invites wouldn’t start until October (which it is now of course but seems like a lot of us received them before October) so I’m??

Please MSU give me more clarity.

I’m also IS.

For the record (and as a 1st year), it seems like these issues are specific to your class being the guinea pigs for the new curriculum. So I don’t think it’s fair to tell new applicants to stay away from MSU when it’s much better after a few years of figuring out the kinks. AND figuring out how to teach professional students during a pandemic. J/S :shrug:
This exactly. There are going to be a ton of administrative nightmares because of COVID (we’re currently dealing with one right now with junior surgery) but for the most part, class curriculum should be created for future classes already, since they’ve already had to teach with the same curriculum, just likely need to make slight changes year to year. Creating a new curriculum itself is a logistics nightmare. The same people creating the curriculum are also trying to teach other years at the same time. And it does suck being put on the back burner with your curriculum. Some of our stuff is being overhauled this year too (mainly therio) and it’s a nightmare and then with COVID added on top, it’s even worse. But I know it will change for future years and they won’t have to deal with the same nightmare I’m having to go through. That’s just what happens when there’s an overhaul and you’re a guinea pig, unfortunately. It sucks. I get that.

Just received my interview (CASPer test) invitation!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just received my interview (CASPer test) invitation!!

Are they doing Casper instead of interviews? Got mine 2 weeks ago but wasn’t sure if it was in addition or I place off the interviews