Michigan State University CHM or NYMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfer1895

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to choose between these two schools any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you instate for MSU? That would create a huge cost difference.

Are there differences in curriculum or clinical sites? Which location do you like better?

Just some things to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be biased... But MSU CHM Grand Rapids campus is going to be sweet this year. Brand new building. Lots of big changes being made in response to previous students feedback.

I'm OOS at CHM, and yes I'm in quite a bit of debt, however CHM is notoriously known as one of the "Lower stress" med schools which I love.

Check out the match list sometime, we still place people in extremely competitive residency spots.

PM me if you have any specific questions

Make sure you take your personal factors into account. Which is closer to family? I would assume MSU has much lower cost of living, but the OOS tuition at MSU is higher than NYMC's tuition as a private school. How do you feel about living in a big city?

Thanks so much for the input I really love the location of NYMC and was leaning toward there but am concerned about the Touro situation. I think I will have to visit Grand Rapids to make the decision since I only was able to see Lansing for the interview and was placed at Grand Rapids. Thanks again.

If you don't mind me asking what concerns you about the "touro situation"? I can say that most of the students on this campus see this as a positive situation, and while there are some that are indifferent nobody seems to be worried, and for good reason. They have no plans on changing the name, we are going to gain a major clinical rotation site in Hackensack University Medical Center (might be phased in or just placed in at some point), they have funneled in $30 million which will go towards many things, but among them will be improving facilities, research and and dual degree programs.

For me I am going with NYMC even though Im instate for MSU. After attending the interview at MSU, I just wasn't feeling the curriculum. Although Grand Rapids does seem amazing, I just dont think I could deal with the curriculum which is very heavily PBL second year and for me personally I dont learn well in that manner. I am a very lecture oriented person. Also I am a little older and like consistency with my campus placement. I know at MSU after the pre-clinical years you will move again for 3rd and 4th year. At least at NYMC there is the option to stay in Weschester which I actually like. Just my .02 cents. But ultimately I think you will be fine in ur decision. I got good vibes from both schools. It really comes down to a personal choice and what fits you best! Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok and that was over a year ago, and since then a lot has changed, number 1 being that the deal has gone through and number 2 that we have been reassured about certain issues regarding the future of NYMC.

Thanks for the clarification. can I ask about the future of NYMC?

60,000 vs 45,000=15,000 extra per yr x 4=60,000 extra - roughly 2500 less for being in NYC area as opposed to Mich. and spending more money=50,000 more to go to MSU than NYMC. $50,000 accrues interest and if you pay the loan off in 15 years (pretty standard) it'll end up costing roughly $100,000 more to go to MSU than NYMC= its not worth it unless you have some burning desire to go to MSU or hate the NYC area (which the poster already said he liked)

Actually OOS tuition for Both MSU CHM and NYMC is about the same rounding out at about 70,000/year each where did you get your numbers from?

For one I go here so I'm am obviously privy to the cost of attendance and the tuition for nymc is $45,400 for the 2010-2011 academic year and the additional costs are what bring it close to $70,000 (housing, health insurance, etc)

I don't know what the additional costs for MSU are but it would seem like its more than just $12,000 extra based on the fact that the only thing that should be cheaper is the housing (and at roughly $9000 NYMC housing is exactly expensive), but I could be wrong

Cost of living in MI is pretty cheep. I know people who have pretty sweet apartments for less than 400 month. If you live close to campus (which you will have to in GR because there is no parking) then you save on gas.

Clearly NY will probably be more expensive... However I have been living significantly under what MSU calculates as the cost of living.

More importantly how do you see yourself fitting with the curriculum of each school.

With this new expansion in grand rapids many of the preceptors are extremely happy to have medical students. I love the community setting personally, although there are still touches of an academic medical center. A lot of great teaching goes on.

ER is the busiest in Michigan. Plus you get a BRAND NEW building, which is pretty sweet, and an administration that is extremely responsive to student changes. This year 3rd year evaluations are being changed to a better system. They have reworked some of the weaker 1st year courses etc..

http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/main/pdf files/2009-10_budget.pdf

86,000 vs 70,000=even more than I hard originally suspected the difference was...also if you add up the full 4 years you get a staggering $355,998 vs roughly $280,000...which is HUGE. That is $75,000 which like I intimated before with interest will be A LOT of extra money to pay back.

TBH, I'm not sure I would attend any medical school that cost that much. That is just an astronomical amount of money. NYMC all the way in your situation.

JJMrk Im going to guess that you weren't really trying to be rude but that it just comes naturally for you.

For me I am going with NYMC even though Im instate for MSU. After attending the interview at MSU, I just wasn't feeling the curriculum. Although Grand Rapids does seem amazing, I just dont think I could deal with the curriculum which is very heavily PBL second year and for me personally I dont learn well in that manner. I am a very lecture oriented person. Also I am a little older and like consistency with my campus placement. I know at MSU after the pre-clinical years you will move again for 3rd and 4th year. At least at NYMC there is the option to stay in Weschester which I actually like. Just my .02 cents. But ultimately I think you will be fine in ur decision. I got good vibes from both schools. It really comes down to a personal choice and what fits you best! Good luck :luck:

I know this is kind of an old thread but just was reading and wanted to make it clear, there is an option to stay in GR or EL at MSU too. You wont necessarily be moving again for 3rd and 4th year.

Status
Not open for further replies.