~~ Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Class of 2014 ~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMonkey

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome Class of 2014!! :) Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

I am so excited to get to know all of you guys from 2010-2014!! Get pumped for the adventure :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking how do you guys know already?

We applied through an early admission process. Stipulation is if you are accepted you cannot apply to other schools. MSU was my number 1 choice... so it was a no brainer for me.

Wooooooo Hoooooooooo!!!!!!!! Is it August 2010 yet?

I was just downtown yesterday looking at the brand new building and I am ecstatic!!!! :D

We applied through an early admission process. Stipulation is if you are accepted you cannot apply to other schools. MSU was my number 1 choice... so it was a no brainer for me.

Very cool, I didn't realize you could do it this early.

Congrats to all of you :thumbup:

Actually, I misspoke (misswrote?), it was an Early Assurance Program. I think there are programs through AMCAS that allow you to apply early decision to places, that's not what this program was. I think it's pretty unique nationally, not sure of other schools that have something similar.

Some pretty impressive students if I my say so myself.

Last edited:
Hi, All.

I was just accepted EDP (9/29/09) to MSU CHM. I am thrilled, to say the least.

Do you know when we can find out if we will be assigned to the Grand Rapids vs. East Lansing campus for M1 and M2?

Congrats to all.

Wooooooo Hoooooooooo!!!!!!!! Is it August 2010 yet?

I was just downtown yesterday looking at the brand new building and I am ecstatic!!!! :D

Is this in Grand Rapids?

I am with you 100%. I keep checking my iPhone every morning to see if it's August 2010 yet. I can't wait. It won't get here fast enough. I have half a brain to e-mail them and ask if we can just start now.

As far as I know, the first acceptances for the Early Decision Program were made on 9/29/09.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, All.

I was just accepted EDP (9/29/09) to MSU CHM. I am thrilled, to say the least.

Do you know when we can find out if we will be assigned to the Grand Rapids vs. East Lansing campus for M1 and M2?

Congrats to all.

The last couple of years, community campuses were assigned to those with special circumstances (spouse's job, ill parent, etc.) in May and everyone else in June - but that was when we were splitting in M2. I'm not sure if they'll bump up the timeline considering that you'll already be in two different campuses in August.

If you call the Admissions office they can probably tell you what the procedure will be for this year.

And yes, the new (beautiful!) building is in Grand Rapids and will be open in Summer 2010. http://www.secchia-center.com/

The last couple of years, community campuses were assigned to those with special circumstances (spouse's job, ill parent, etc.) in May and everyone else in June - but that was when we were splitting in M2. I'm not sure if they'll bump up the timeline considering that you'll already be in two different campuses in August.

If you call the Admissions office they can probably tell you what the procedure will be for this year.

And yes, the new (beautiful!) building is in Grand Rapids and will be open in Summer 2010. http://www.secchia-center.com/

Noted; thanks. I'll try giving them a call. I know, the building looks sweet.

I have been accepted 11-3-09. I am looking forward to it. MSU CHM Class 2014!!!!!!!

Hi, All.

Would anyone like to get a group together to get dinner/beers before we officially start classes together in August? I am happy to travel to meet people if others are here in MI.

Also, do you guys know if you will request to be on the East Lansing or Grand Rapids campus for M1 and M2? I will request GR.

Last edited:
Hey net,
There is now a MSU CHM class of 2014 group on facebook, and most of the discussion seems to be going on over there. I would definitely be interested in going out to grab some food/beers sometime. A few of us in Grand Rapids heard through an early assurance program that we were accepted over the summer, and I think it would be fun to all go downtown at some point and get to know one another a bit better.

Hope all is well,
Monkey.

Hey net,
There is now a MSU CHM class of 2014 group on facebook, and most of the discussion seems to be going on over there. I would definitely be interested in going out to grab some food/beers sometime. A few of us in Grand Rapids heard through an early assurance program that we were accepted over the summer, and I think it would be fun to all go downtown at some point and get to know one another a bit better.

I'm there.

I just received the call last Tuesday! So glad to have to opportunity to go to MSU CHM!

Hello All--

Anybody have an opinion on Wayne State vs Michigan State?? The way I see it...

MSU
Pros- Possibly being in Grand Rapids, smaller class size, walking to school, had an excellent interview (impressed with interviewer; representative of faculty?)

Neutral- PBL (it's hard to judge because I haven't done it....), emphasis on primary care

Cons- Possibly being in East Lansing, moving after 2 years, pro-section

WSU
Pros- The DMC!, dissection, clinical experience

Neutral- Detroit

Cons- Commuter school, class size (300!), interviewer (basically went over my experiences, didn't seem interested in "me as a person"; representative of faculty?)

I posted on Wayne State thread also... any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :D

Hello All--

Anybody have an opinion on Wayne State vs Michigan State?? The way I see it...

MSU
Pros- Possibly being in Grand Rapids, smaller class size, walking to school, had an excellent interview (impressed with interviewer; representative of faculty?)

Neutral- PBL (it's hard to judge because I haven't done it....), emphasis on primary care

Cons- Possibly being in East Lansing, moving after 2 years, pro-section

WSU
Pros- The DMC!, dissection, clinical experience

Neutral- Detroit

Cons- Commuter school, class size (300!), interviewer (basically went over my experiences, didn't seem interested in "me as a person"; representative of faculty?)

I posted on Wayne State thread also... any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :D

I had the same experience with interviews. My MSU interview with a physician is tied with best interview I've had, other was with an Army Colonel ortho surgeon. DMC was cool but idk, I'm leaning towards MSU.

Having gone to MSUCOM (which uses the same anatomy lab as MSUCHM), I don't feel that prosection is a negative at all. It frees you to focus on learning the anatomy instead of wasting time hacking away. If you really want to do dissection I believe that people who do well in Anatomy can electively become lab assistants and help prepare the prosection specimens in later semesters.
(But in either case, anatomy lab is a tiny portion of your med school experience, and if you are interested in surgery or something along those lines your surgery clerkship in 3rd year will be far, far more important than whether you got to dissect a cadaver).

I hope that I will be with you guys this year. I had to defer last year because I didn't get released from the Air Force. (apparently there aren't enough pilots flying tankers right now) I think that I have a much better chance this time around so hopefully I will matriculate with all of you this fall.

Congrats to all of you on making the first hurdle.

Hello everybody,

Can anyone give me some information on both the Grand Rapids and East Lansing preclinical campuses? What are some advantages and disadvantages for both? Difference in Lifestyle? How did you guys choose between the two?

Thank you very much!!!

Welcome to the experiment. Last I heard, the classes would be identical at either campus. They are going to have physical class at each campus half the time, with the other half getting tele-presence lectures. As for living in a town, they are both ruralish, but what do we really care...we are going to be studying most of the time anyways.

Welcome to the experiment. Last I heard, the classes would be identical at either campus. They are going to have physical class at each campus half the time, with the other half getting tele-presence lectures. As for living in a town, they are both ruralish, but what do we really care...we are going to be studying most of the time anyways.

Neither Lansing or Grand Rapids can be considered "ruralish!" Grand Rapids is, I think, the second largest city in the state and Lansing is host to MSU, which adds a good 70,000 people to the already well over 100,000 person population of Lansing alone. Add in the folks living in East Lansing and I'd bet the actual number of people living in the Lansing area is at least a quarter million. Maybe if you grew up in NYC they are rural, but not for most people!

Sorry, native Detroiter and just spent the last 3 years in Tampa. If you can drive 15 minutes and be in cornfields it is ruralish. Grand Forks ND (lived there too) is the same as Grand Rapids: a large farming/support community with a college and fairly decent commercial area. GF was ruralish too.

Sorry, native Detroiter and just spent the last 3 years in Tampa. If you can drive 15 minutes and be in cornfields it is ruralish. Grand Forks ND (lived there too) is the same as Grand Rapids: a large farming/support community with a college and fairly decent commercial area. GF was ruralish too.

As someone who grew up in GR, I am going to respectfully disagree. While GR is no Detroit, it is definitely not comparable to Grand Forks. The metro population of Grand Forks is like 97000. The metro population in GR is almost 8 times that, even more if you include Holland and Muskegon in the metro area like they often are.

To answer your original question, EL is a Big10 town, GR is an up and coming city. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Hey everyone! I just got my acceptance call about a week ago and have yet to receive my official packet in the mail. Does anyone know if MSU has a second look day or weekend? (I'm out of state)
Look forward to meeting all of you in the fall! :D

Congrats Seetpea MD! I don't think msu has a second look day, but I'm sure you can individually schedule another tour and meeting with students. I'm going to GR and I don't think we even get a first look weekend. However, I'm not an expert (I'm a fresh class of 2014 applicant who's been stalking this page) so if anyone says anything else, they're probably right. I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall as well!

Having gone to MSUCOM (which uses the same anatomy lab as MSUCHM), I don't feel that prosection is a negative at all. It frees you to focus on learning the anatomy instead of wasting time hacking away. If you really want to do dissection I believe that people who do well in Anatomy can electively become lab assistants and help prepare the prosection specimens in later semesters.
(But in either case, anatomy lab is a tiny portion of your med school experience, and if you are interested in surgery or something along those lines your surgery clerkship in 3rd year will be far, far more important than whether you got to dissect a cadaver).

I am going to echo this 100%. I completely agree. Dissection is overrated. I am going to MSUCHM and I think the prosection idea is brilliant. I have taken some anatomy classes before. You spend a lot of time doing the dissection. Then your lab partner inadvertently whacks some important structure and your entire group is left wandering over to some adjacent group's cadaver asking, "Can we look at yours?"

The prosection is going to be a Godsend. Trust me.

Hello~

Has anyone else been wait listed for next years class? Any advise to those of us that have been wait listed? MSU is certainly my first choice and I think their program is fantastic.

hey guys!

I am OOS and currently looking for housing. Do you guys know where most of the medical or graduate students live? Also let me know if any of you guys need a roommate. Thanks!!!

Hi guys,
CONGRATS on med school!!!
I was wondering if anyone accepted to MSU went to the Wayne State BMS Program, knows anything about the Wayne State BMS, or knows if anyone in your class did the Wayne State BMS? I'm kind of trying to compile info on how successful the program is for getting people into different Michigan medical schools, and there's not a lot of info out there.
PM me if you have any info and you want to share!
Thanks
IgM

Last edited: