Michigan State's vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brightness

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Michigan resident but not an undergrad at State- I go to CMU in Mount Pleasant. I went online to check out the stats for incoming MSU vet students and saw that the average there is about a 3.6 for those admitted. Yet, I have a few friends/aquaintances that have had like a 3.8 and not been chosen for admission to the program. More than likely my undergraduate GPA will be around a 3.5 or 3.6 because I didn't do so hot my freshman year. However, I will have a fair amount of experience and I am generally a good test taker.
I am wondering if I should rethink Michigan residency and try to apply elsewhere after moving? I was considering U of Wisconsin or Oregon State, maybe even Purdue. I am just afraid I won't get into MSU and then I will have to put vet school off while I move somewhere else and get established there.
What is your take on this? Is MSU particularly difficult to get into for any reason?

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding those that didn't get in, realize there's a lot more to consider then just total GPA. Maybe they were below average on other things.

I don't think Mich. State is necessarily more difficult to get into as an in-state resident than any other N. American school. If you're already a resident there, I wouldn't recommend moving to another state thinking that will make it any easier to get accepted. I think your efforts would be more effectively directed toward grades, experience, recommendations, and any required standardized test.

I applied MSU and got in as a out-state student; and I had a lower GPA than what you expect you will get. From what I heard from Michigan, they really don't focus on you GPA at all. What they are looking for is who you are as a whole person. They divide their admission process into several stages. So once your GPA is higher than a line they set -- the first stage, you will only be selected based on other qualities you have to get into other 2 or 3 stages. Then, after the interview, they will evaluate you again. However, this time, GPA only counts something like 10% of the scores you get (don't remember clearly now, but not much, really)... That is why some people having really hight GPA, but less divers life/working experience did not get in, or did not even get an interview. From what I know, my interviewers did not even know my GPA in order to avoid potential bias. They just said: you must have good enough GPA if you are sitting here for an interview.

So, I think your GPA is not a problem at all for you to get into MSU.

Another impression I get from MSU is that people there are just SO warm, nice and helpful. I feel that I made some good friends with admissions people through my application process. Unfortunately, I did not choose to go to East lansing because family circumstance. But if it is your first choice, I am sure you will like the school and enjoy the experience! Good luck for your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
yakpool said:
I applied MSU and got in as a out-state student; and I had a lower GPA than what you expect you will get. From what I heard from Michigan, they really don't focus on you GPA at all. What they are looking for is who you are as a whole person. They divide their admission process into several stages. So once your GPA is higher than a line they set -- the first stage, you will only be selected based on other qualities you have to get into other 2 or 3 stages. Then, after the interview, they will evaluate you again. However, this time, GPA only counts something like 10% of the scores you get (don't remember clearly now, but not much, really)... That is why some people having really hight GPA, but less divers life/working experience did not get in, or did not even get an interview. From what I know, my interviewers did not even know my GPA in order to avoid potential bias. They just said: you must have good enough GPA if you are sitting here for an interview.

Another impression I get from MSU is that people there are just SO warm, nice and helpful. I feel that I made some good friends with admissions people through my application process. Unfortunately, I did not choose to go to East lansing because family circumstance. But if it is your first choice, I am sure you will like the school and enjoy the experience! Good luck for your application!

Hey, Just curious where did you decide to go instead of MSU? I am having trouble deciding between their and Ohio. Thanks

yakpool said:

Pretty much the same situation for me as well. I agree with yakpool.

The interviewers indeed do not know your GPA or test scores. They told me that when they started my interview. I honestly feel that I was picked more for who I am and what I have done with my career so far, rather than my exact GPA, etc.

keppsu1 said:
Pretty much the same situation for me as well. I agree with yakpool.

The interviewers indeed do not know your GPA or test scores. They told me that when they started my interview. I honestly feel that I was picked more for who I am and what I have done with my career so far, rather than my exact GPA, etc.

Yeah, I totally agree. This is one of the big reasons I chose MSU, too... I guess I should have mentioned that in my other post to you, gategal. I like the holistic approach, I think it's a superior way of evaluating applicants.
I don't think you should switch residency, unless you have a significant reason to want to go to a school other than MSU. If your GPA isn't that high, I also wouldn't suggest applying to Purdue ;) Though a 3.5 or 3.6 is competitive enough with high GRE's and good experience.

Thank you for the replies! MSU is actually my top choice for vet school, because I can stay local (which will help me financially and having help from my family and friends won't hurt, either...) I wouldn't mind going to Oregon State, either---I have been on the website and that area of the country looks wonderful-and there are a few other places I'd like to go as well. But really, MSU would be a great fit for me and I'd love to go there.
On a side note........I always thought Purdue was easier to get into than MSU? Was that what the wink was about? :)

brightness said:
On a side note........I always thought Purdue was easier to get into than MSU? Was that what the wink was about? :)

I was admitted to both schools this year, and I am an Indiana resident with strong Michigan ties (did high school and undergrad there). They both emphasize different areas of the application. MSU, as has been mentioned, is more holistic and views the applicant as an actual person (what a concept!)versus a few numbers (GRE, GPA, animal hrs, etc.). MSU's interview process is more demanding (though my stress level was maxed at both I believe) and, rightly so, carries more weight than at Purdue, come final decision time. Purdue puts huge emphasis on the GRE and overall GPA (and also averages the GRE scores so multiple test takers get hurt here...MSU takes highest score no questions asked). I wouldn't say one school is easier to get into than the other...it just depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are and of course, residency is a big deal. MSU has been getting more applications per year in recent years by about 200, but then again Purdue has a class size of less than 70, whereas MSU is much larger at ~110. It's all relevant I guess. I chose Purdue over MSU for a couple reasons (residency and tuition/fees being the main one), but both are top notch schools.

Adeno

brightness said:
I always thought Purdue was easier to get into than MSU? Was that what the wink was about? :)

I have a suspicion that Purdue does look at where your home state is. That is, if you are applying from a school close to Purdue that has a vet school they are much more critical because they assume you're only applying to Purdue b/c it's close. I base this on some people that had really good credentials that didn't even get interviews. It's always possible that there were other problems I wasn't aware of but this happened to enough ppl that there is enough to notice a trend. Anyway, take that for whatever it's worth.

brightness said:

No, I was actually quite serious! :) There are a handful of schools which (in my opinion) weigh GPA's and GRE's so heavily that if you have grades/scores that are less than uber-competitive they are more than likely going to reject you. In my personal list of such schools is Purdue, Cornell, and Penn. Why I wasted my money applying to all three I'll never know :laugh: Well Cornell since I am a NY resident but you know. Such is life :p