Michigan Students-What do you think about the Scholars program in dental leader

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tissy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you know about the scholars program in dental leadership and what do you think about it? I read its the first launched program..

Members don't see this ad.

What do you know about the scholars program in dental leadership and what do you think about it? I read its the first launched program..

Being apart of a ground breaking leadership program is extraordinary. We get the support of the entire school and faculty to try to accomplish any lofty and extraordinary goals we have in mind. Plus we have access to amazing facilties, faculty, and speakers.

The things that we would like to gain from the program, its goals, ideas, and its direction are not dictated by any faculty but are from our own ideas, input, and work.

Some of our goals include: meeting with leaders in public health, managment, business etc. We are also planning on developing dual degree programs with the ross school of business, and the school of public health as well.

in summary....its aMAIZEing with a huge potential

Being apart of a ground breaking leadership program is extraordinary. We get the support of the entire school and faculty to try to accomplish any lofty and extraordinary goals we have in mind. Plus we have access to amazing facilties, faculty, and speakers.

The things that we would like to gain from the program, its goals, ideas, and its direction are not dictated by any faculty but are from our own ideas, input, and work.

Some of our goals include: meeting with leaders in public health, managment, business etc. We are also planning on developing dual degree programs with the ross school of business, and the school of public health as well.

in summary....its aMAIZEing with a huge potential

Muz has it right, but I'll just add my 2 cents.

SPDL is a network of very motivated professionals who by cooperative and multidisciplinary means affect significant positive change in dentistry.

There are two basic parts to spdl: leadership training and group projects.

It has transformed into a student run organization with serious faculty support. specifically, Dean Polverini et al. We have speakers teach us from their respective fields about negotiating, contract law, lobbying, etc. We, in turn work to build lasting relationships with the them so that we might collaborate on projects after graduation.

This accomplishes several things: first, you build a network for problem solving big social issues. second, you learn skills from some of the best in their fields. third, by working on projects you implement leadership skills. Usually this means learning from mistakes. Lastly, it helps give more professional direction during school, so that when you graduate you can have a clear vision of how to go about business, org. dentistry, healthcare, law, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello - I am going to start my essay for the SPDL app: What does address desired "competencies" for the program mean?

Does it mean "what do I want to get out of it" or is it something else?

THANKS!

CLASS OF 2011

It is a good idea, but seems like some of the people are doing it just to pad their resume in order to apply to specialty programs. I applaud those who take this program and use what they have learned about leadership to better themselves (and our profession). It certainly has potential to develop into an interesting program. I have always believed that leadership cannot be taught, but rather refined.

I think it is a joke. I mean I was really happy to find the glossy informational brochure about the program in my mailbox. It was great to see how UMSD found another way to waste heinous amounts of money.

I was enjoyable, however, to peruse the brochure with my classmates and make fun of the various bios. Also, it is rather unfair of the school to prey upon incoming D1s to fill many of the spots in the program because they haven't had enough time to become jaded by the system.

Ask any D4 to be a part of this and they would laugh in your face.

I think it is a joke. I mean I was really happy to find the glossy informational brochure about the program in my mailbox. It was great to see how UMSD found another way to waste heinous amounts of money.

Ask any D4 to be a part of this and they would laugh in your face.

Agreed. Brochure was way over the top. Most upperclass folk have no or very little interest in it. Just another way to spend all that free time you have in dental school.

I totally agree. The program is nothing more than a resume pad, and the brochure was an absolute waste of money albeit hilarious to read. My favorite part of the program was the daylong ropes course where the participants gained leadership experience by climbing trees and whatnot.

I totally agree. The program is nothing more than a resume pad, and the brochure was an absolute waste of money albeit hilarious to read. My favorite part of the program was the daylong ropes course where the participants gained leadership experience by climbing trees and whatnot.

Yeah, I feel I have missed out on a valuable part of my education... a ropes course typically used for middle school youth groups and throw in multiple periodontists and the dean just for good measure. The photo of Dr. Eber holding hands with a student on the ropes course is forever burned into my memory.

Hello - I am going to start my essay for the SPDL app: What does address desired "competencies" for the program mean?

THANKS!

CLASS OF 2011

Include accomplishments that illustrate your leadership competency and what you want to get out of the program.

Aww....so good to see you here on the forum. You were such a great preson!! Good luck girl!! I'm headed to AZ so keep in touch..you're going to be a great Dentist...from a great school!!

THANKS!

CLASS OF 2011

Is the scholars program really that bad? The idea sounds very good but if the participants in the program, especially a student-run program, are not enthused by it, then what's the point? What's the source of all this dissent?

its pretty interesting that those who have the negative opinions about the program are not part of it...and they are "upperclassman" that dont really care...

listen to someone that is in the program...although our first year is ending with the program there is a very very bright future....

if u have any specific questions pm me!

-muz-

its pretty interesting that those who have the negative opinions about the program are not part of it...and they are "upperclassman" that dont really care...

-muz-

your wrong. it isn't upperclassmen who don't care, we DO care and that is why we are pointing out how useless it is. yes, you will have something to add to your CV when you try to specialize and you will have built relationships with some faculty to write you letters of recommendation.

tell me how that silly ropes course made you a better leader and how it makes this program so stellar.

your wrong. it isn't upperclassmen who don't care, we DO care and that is why we are pointing out how useless it is. yes, you will have something to add to your CV when you try to specialize and you will have built relationships with some faculty to write you letters of recommendation.

tell me how that silly ropes course made you a better leader and how it makes this program so stellar.

Thanks for your sincere concern, but if you really believe that SPDL is "useless" please let me know how. Let's suppose for a minute that you are right. Suppose that the members of the program are just looking for an easy addition to their CV and a few letters of recommendation because we're trying to specialize. How useless will a letter of recommendation be from the dean or other administrator or faculty member with whom they actually have built a working relationship? But that's not even the point of SPDL... Over the past year as I've worked with my peers, faculty and administration to develop this program I have learned a significant amount about leadership and my professional ambitions. Personally, I value the knowledge/skills I've gained and do not consider them useless in anyway. Not to mention the network of professional relationships I have developed with lawyers, businessmen, researchers, dental educators and practitioners. Its just hard for me to see the uselessness in knowing people and learning from them...

But I understand that the glossy brochure put into your mailbox was SUPER-CHEESE. If you want to know the truth, I didn't really care for it since it did little to explain what SPDL actually is and emphasized a ropes course we did one Saturday almost a year ago. If that brochure is your only exposure to the program, I encourage you to find out more before you publicly call the entire program "useless."

I'm glad you found so much humor in making fun of the students in the brochure. Hope it brightened your day. I'm glad you "care" so much.