Michigan Undergrads at UMich Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just added up all these numbers for a friend considering Hope and UMich undergrad. I thought I'd post here to have at least some others benefit from my effort. So, with acceptances thus far, here are the number of Michigan undergraduate schools represented at UMich:

UMich: 42
GVSU: 2
Northern: 1
MSU: 2
KCollege: 2
Hope: 1
Western: 1
Central: 1

These aren't final as people will surely get in off the waitlist, but thought it was at least worth sharing.

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you get these numbers from? Just curious.

wow, is that in 1 class? or all 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell your friend to go to an out-of-state school if he/she can afford it...Clearly they represent a much bigger chunk of the pie that U of M is interested in (only 52 grads from Michigan schools out of the 300+ that they extend acceptance offers to is pretty pathetic considering U of M is a public school)...It would probably be better for him/her to get out of the state of Michigan anyway...

wow, is that in 1 class? or all 4 years?

That's out of current acceptees this year. I realize I forgot Wayne (I think there are 2). The count was taken from the Michigan page of acceptees.

So I just added up all these numbers for a friend considering Hope and UMich undergrad. I thought I'd post here to have at least some others benefit from my effort. So, with acceptances thus far, here are the number of Michigan undergraduate schools represented at UMich:

UMich: 42
GVSU: 2
Northern: 1
MSU: 2
KCollege: 2
Hope: 1
Western: 1
Central: 1

These aren't final as people will surely get in off the waitlist, but thought it was at least worth sharing.

hmm, I think four years of not having to listen to xtian rock music would be enough motivation to choose Umich over Hope.

...though it also shows Kalamazoo to be right up there with Umich in terms of people getting in. 1300 students as opposed to about 30k or so for Umich... the per-student rate is nearly equal.

ps: avoid albion like the plague til they get their budget crisis taken care of.

yeah if i had known how hard it was to get into uofm med from msu, i might not have gone here...(of course im not considering quality of applicant either, im just saying)

...though it also shows Kalamazoo to be right up there with Umich in terms of people getting in. 1300 students as opposed to about 30k or so for Umich... the per-student rate is nearly equal.

ps: avoid albion like the plague til they get their budget crisis taken care of.

Yeah, I think this data is a little better because it's easier to digest than percentages. Percentage-wise, of course UMich would not be the greatest school to attend because we produce so many darned pre-meds (the most in the country I believe), so we've got a huge denominator.

For me, these numbers are good, because one can think of it as "I have to be the top 2 applicants from MSU/KCollege," or "I have to be the top applicant from Hope." If that wouldn't create competition among those schools, I don't know what would.

Yeah, I think this data is a little better because it's easier to digest than percentages. Percentage-wise, of course UMich would not be the greatest school to attend because we produce so many darned pre-meds (the most in the country I believe), so we've got a huge denominator.

For me, these numbers are good, because one can think of it as "I have to be the top 2 applicants from MSU/KCollege," or "I have to be the top applicant from Hope." If that wouldn't create competition among those schools, I don't know what would.

true to a point, but there's nothing to suggest that if K produced 4 or 5 34+ MCATs this year that there would be 4 or 5 people at UMich. Again to bring up my school (hate to do it) but the reason we have a 0 on that board mostly comes from the fact that there were only 2 of us to even score above 30 this year and we both only hit 32s... and I dont know of anyone (non-URM) at UMich or anywhere else who scored that low this year and still got an interview. (though only 2 years ago, that would have been easily good enough...shows how much competition has gone up)

IIRC, There have been years when schools as low on the totem pole as Calvin have sent 4 per year... it's just how the scores fall.

true to a point, but there's nothing to suggest that if K produced 4 or 5 34+ MCATs this year that there would be 4 or 5 people at UMich. Again to bring up my school (hate to do it) but the reason we have a 0 on that board mostly comes from the fact that there were only 2 of us to even score above 30 this year and we both only hit 32s... and I dont know of anyone (non-URM) at UMich or anywhere else who scored that low this year and still got an interview. (though only 2 years ago, that would have been easily good enough...shows how much competition has gone up)

IIRC, There have been years when schools as low on the totem pole as Calvin have sent 4 per year... it's just how the scores fall.

I like to throw out numbers and breakdowns like this, with the hopes that people remember that getting accepted to medical school is not a statistical processs. I think context is important for most statistics. I recall when I was looking at undergrad schools being told by people "If you want to get into U of M med school, you shouldn't got to UMich undergrad" because of the low percentage. I think the context of knowing there were 42 students accepted versus 2 from other Michigan schools paints a more full picture.

true I guess, but even then... back to the original post... what's the appeal to Hope as opposed to Kzoo/Oberlin/Kenyon/etc...? For all of the problems we have down here and our drops in the USNews rankings, Hope has still managed to stay below us in ranking/incoming class quality. Though it is a nice campus and town.

true I guess, but even then... back to the original post... what's the appeal to Hope as opposed to Kzoo/Oberlin/Kenyon/etc...? For all of the problems we have down here and our drops in the USNews rankings, Hope has still managed to stay below us in ranking/incoming class quality. Though it is a nice campus and town.

I was never really considering Hope, but my friend is. If you're asking why Hope, I'm guessing you've never lived in Grand Rapids (I usually refer to it as Grab Rapids). People grow up there, attend GR Christian High School, go to Hope College, meet their spouse there, raise their kids in Grand Rapids and send them to GR Christian High School, then Hope, then die in Grand Rapids. It's the craziest bubble, and I guess some people enjoy being insulated from the big bad world out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
ah yes, makes sense now... Forgot to think from the perspective of someone with "Van Den ....." in my last name.

I am just curious if the people who were accepted this year is available to anyone, if so, what is the link? I am curious to see if anymore people get in from Central. I was surprised to see that someone got in this year....i am actively involved in Pre-Med stuff here and I hadn't heard of anyone....

UMich gives out a "facebook" of all the current acceptees, made available to other acceptees. I'd rather not give out the link, as I know I wouldn't want my picture, e-mail, name, and home-town puclib knowledge in a public forum. I'd be happy to answer some questions in PM if you have them though.

hope has fabulous lecture series for a school its size. they've brought farmer in to talk twice now. plus, sufjan's an alum. the only fancy-pants person k can claim is selma blair, and she didn't even gragitate. still, i loved kalamazoo college. no amount of sufjany/paul farmerish sheen could've convinced me to live in holland for 4 years.

I am just curious if the people who were accepted this year is available to anyone, if so, what is the link? I am curious to see if anymore people get in from Central. I was surprised to see that someone got in this year....i am actively involved in Pre-Med stuff here and I hadn't heard of anyone....

the guy from Central is bet22 (*I'm pretty sure*) He got in just a couple months ago...

so it wasn't Bet22 that the list is referring to?

yeah if i had known how hard it was to get into uofm med from msu, i might not have gone here...(of course im not considering quality of applicant either, im just saying)

I maintain that it's pretty lame of them to only accept two from MSU. :mad:

I happen to think that there's nothing wrong with the quality of students that MSU produces, but then again I'm in the Honors College and kind of see things from that perspective, which is probably pretty skewed, so meh *shrug*

I happen to think that there's nothing wrong with the quality of students that MSU produces, but then again I'm in the Honors College and kind of see things from that perspective, which is probably pretty skewed, so meh *shrug*

I'm almost fully convinced that it is *impossible* to objectively assess the difficulty of one's own institution, unless they've transferred schools and have a point of comparison. I've never taken a course at a different school, so how would I be able to judge another program? I always love to see the what are my chances threads where someone claims that their GPA is low, but they go to a really tough undergrad with no grade inflation...

I'm more suprised by the amount of "outsourcing" of michigan residents they get, in that they try to get people who are residents but then went to Harvard, Hopkins or other Ivies (and normally went to Cranbrook or DCD :barf:)

I'm almost fully convinced that it is *impossible* to objectively assess the difficulty of one's own institution, unless they've transferred schools and have a point of comparison. I've never taken a course at a different school, so how would I be able to judge another program? I always love to see the what are my chances threads where someone claims that their GPA is low, but they go to a really tough undergrad with no grade inflation...

I'm more suprised by the amount of "outsourcing" of michigan residents they get, in that they try to get people who are residents but then went to Harvard, Hopkins or other Ivies (and normally went to Cranbrook or DCD :barf:)

Eminem: "You went to Cranbrook... that's a private school!" :smuggrin:

I think this is a really good point. Schools that are usually under-reped are so because they produce so few applicants with the neccessary stats for a school like umich. So if your bud had the same stats as a umich undergrad student, then he might have as likely of a chance. So I don't think that the "prestige" of umich u-grad has to do with their representation at the med school. Rather, it is that they just have more people coming out with higher stats, better experiences, etc. Now all of that aside . . . what is your friend thinking? Is there really any comparison? Umich has it all - the classic huge university scene, football, for such a small town - Ann Arbor rocks, great quality of education, reseach opportunities. To paraphrase maestro, don't go to hope unless you want to listen to xtian rock for the next four years. And your right about the CRC Grand Rapids-Hope cycle. Lame. Tell him to go to umich, not for "prestige" or because he might be more likely to get in, but because umich rocks.

maybe Bet22 is a female, then... or there are two CMU students? :confused:

Yes, I'm a female! But I think that I'm the only CMU student accepted so far this year...maybe someone will get off the waitlist later?

Also, I graduated from Central in 2004 and then did a masters program...so that's probably why anyone that goes to CMU now has not heard of anyone getting accepted to umich. I havent been around in a few years...

yes, but how many 35+ mcats came out of MSU this year? there have been as many as 10+ students from MSU in past classes.

yes, but how many 35+ mcats came out of MSU this year? there have been as many as 10+ students from MSU in past classes.

i know at least 5 kids that scored a 37 or better, and 2 that scored a 34. i only know one of the two kids that were accepted to UMMS.

to me, there just seems like there's some sort of prejudice against msu students, admissions-wise. and i dont mean it's just MSU, im sure there are other schools that UofM does the following to: none of the above kids (all had very high GPA's) recieved 'automatic interview invites', while others with similar stats at other schools did. When i called the admissions office last year, the lady told me that the cutoff for an 'automatic interview' is some sort of equation..suggesting that the quality of school is taken into account.

however, all of this is just my 2 cents. just something ive thought about...