Michigan vs Emory vs Columbia vs Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phrozen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know all 4 are top schools and it boils down to personal preferences, but I am very curious as to what your opinions are. Which school did/would you attend for MPH in Epi/Global Health and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same dillema! I haven't heard fro Emory yet, so right now I'm looking at Michigan vs. Columbia vs. Yale for epi-infectious disease/global health. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on the differences, pros vs. cons, and overall feelings towards these schools, because I could really use some advice! :)

I am between Yale and Columbia. So far my list

Yale pros: Accessible Faculty, smaller cohort, accessible work/research opportunities, Yale name, reputation of classmates building a "community"
Yale cons: Not as highly regarded in public health, limited to my chronic disease epi choice, New Haven, no chance of me commuting

Columbia pros: Highly regarded in public health, large faculty, Columbia name, New York City, I could possibly commute, connections in NYC already, more flexibility because I haven't chosen a certificate
Columbia cons: very large cohort, reputation of inaccessible faculty, cost of living if I dont commute, stiff competition for research/work study positions even in second year.

Would love to hear others thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I am choosing between Michigan Intl Health/Epi and Emory GLEPI.

Michigan Pros: 50% off out-of-state tuition, great alumni network, great program
Cons: I heard it's a little toooo research-based and I am not as interested in academic research, it's way too cold

Emory Pros: I already live in Atlanta now, can keep up connections with CDC, warmer weather, great program - focus on practical skills and good work/life/school balance
Cons: I will be poor if I don't get any scholarship or financial aid

I am between Yale and Columbia. So far my list

Yale pros: Accessible Faculty, smaller cohort, accessible work/research opportunities, Yale name, reputation of classmates building a "community"
Yale cons: Not as highly regarded in public health, limited to my chronic disease epi choice, New Haven, no chance of me commuting

Columbia pros: Highly regarded in public health, large faculty, Columbia name, New York City, I could possibly commute, connections in NYC already, more flexibility because I haven't chosen a certificate
Columbia cons: very large cohort, reputation of inaccessible faculty, cost of living if I dont commute, stiff competition for research/work study positions even in second year.

Would love to hear others thoughts.
I'm also between Yale (advanced professional applied biostatistics and epi) and Columbia (accelerated epi). I have a PhD in a related discipline and work as an academic, so I have enough experience in higher education to know that a small, close-knit cohort can make all the difference... but also that a big alumni network and within-discipline prestige can matter a lot later on. I'm going to visit both during March to see if my intuition provides any guidance. Are you getting any closer to making a decision?