Michigan vs. Mt. Sinai (MD/PhD Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnarwhal

Reaction score
Michigan
Pros
  • Broad strength in research. I have only the vaguest idea of what I would like to do my PhD in. So, the idea that Michigan will have outstanding faculty in any area is a big plus
  • Higher ranking USNWP and thought of very highly by residency directors
  • My favorite interview of the cycle. I really felt comfortable with the students and could absolutely see myself being happy there.

Cons
  • Ann Arbor. The issue here is that I grew up in a midwest suburb. I went to school in Durham, NC. I've spent all of my life in areas around the size of Ann Arbor, and I would like a change of pace.
  • Distance from partner. I am in a long term relationship, and we are planning on getting engaged in the next 18 months. My partner will be in NYC, specifically at Mt. Sinai for a 2 year masters program. During her masters program she is going to apply to med school and hope to be accepted to be accepted somewhere in the country. Her undergrad gpa is relatively low and she hasn't taken the mcat yet, so we're not sure where she'll be a competitive applicant.
  • Lack of med school "density." Fewer number of medical schools in the area to increase the chance that my partner could follow me while I am in my program.

Mt. Sinai
Pros
  • Really strong research, especially in genetics and neuroscience. My background is in genetics, and I would be interested in going in a neuro direction in grad school. I've already picked out PIs to meet with during second look, and was really happy with the people that I found.
  • New York City. I'm attracted to the idea of living in NYC. I realize its extremely high cost of living, but my family will be greatly helping with expenses while I'm in my program, so It's a lesser consideration. Living uptown, running in Central Park, having access to the city is just a big plus. I figure that I can have my time in the city when I'm relatively young and without a family/kids. Then look for residency programs back in the midwest where it would be more livable.
  • Closeness to partner. If I move to NYC, my partner and I will move in together (we're currently a short drive between Baltimore and DC apart). We'll start our little lives together, and thats a really exciting possibility. Though, she might not get accepted to a NY med school and that situation might only last for 2 years.
  • Med school density. There are a lot of med schools in NYC of various levels of selectivity. Also, the East Coast is relatively rich in med schools. So, it becomes more realistic that we would be able to stay relatively close together even if my partner doesn't stay in NYC.

Cons
  • Issues/Scandals with Mt. Sinai hospital. I've read the reports about sexual misconduct and institutional culture issues at Mt. Sinai and it bothers me. I had nothing but good experiences when I interviewed. But the issue remains.
  • Slightly lesser ranked than Michigan. I realize that the quality of my PhD will be the most important aspect of my residency application, but I'm a risk adverse person, and I realize that higher ranked schools are usually a safer bet.

Summary: On paper, I think Michigan is the "best" school that I've gotten into this cycle. But I am also considering Mt. Sinai for personal reasons. I'm not making my decision until I attend both second looks. But I am interested in hearing others' opinions about this situation. Especially if you are older and have experience navigating the two-body problem in your own journey through science and medicine.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Michigan
Pros
  • Broad strength in research. I have only the vaguest idea of what I would like to do my PhD in. So, the idea that Michigan will have outstanding faculty in any area is a big plus
  • Higher ranking USNWP and thought of very highly by residency directors
  • My favorite interview of the cycle. I really felt comfortable with the students and could absolutely see myself being happy there.

Cons
  • Ann Arbor. The issue here is that I grew up in a midwest suburb. I went to school in Durham, NC. I've spent all of my life in areas around the size of Ann Arbor, and I would like a change of pace.
  • Distance from partner. I am in a long term relationship, and we are planning on getting engaged in the next 18 months. My partner will be in NYC, specifically at Mt. Sinai for a 2 year masters program. During her masters program she is going to apply to med school and hope to be accepted to be accepted somewhere in the country. Her undergrad gpa is relatively low and she hasn't taken the mcat yet, so we're not sure where she'll be a competitive applicant.
  • Lack of med school "density." Fewer number of medical schools in the area to increase the chance that my partner could follow me while I am in my program.

Mt. Sinai
Pros
  • Really strong research, especially in genetics and neuroscience. My background is in genetics, and I would be interested in going in a neuro direction in grad school. I've already picked out PIs to meet with during second look, and was really happy with the people that I found.
  • New York City. I'm attracted to the idea of living in NYC. I realize its extremely high cost of living, but my family will be greatly helping with expenses while I'm in my program, so It's a lesser consideration. Living uptown, running in Central Park, having access to the city is just a big plus. I figure that I can have my time in the city when I'm relatively young and without a family/kids. Then look for residency programs back in the midwest where it would be more livable.
  • Closeness to partner. If I move to NYC, my partner and I will move in together (we're currently a short drive between Baltimore and DC apart). We'll start our little lives together, and thats a really exciting possibility. Though, she might not get accepted to a NY med school and that situation might only last for 2 years.
  • Med school density. There are a lot of med schools in NYC of various levels of selectivity. Also, the East Coast is relatively rich in med schools. So, it becomes more realistic that we would be able to stay relatively close together even if my partner doesn't stay in NYC.

Cons
  • Issues/Scandals with Mt. Sinai hospital. I've read the reports about sexual misconduct and institutional culture issues at Mt. Sinai and it bothers me. I had nothing but good experiences when I interviewed. But the issue remains.
  • Slightly lesser ranked than Michigan. I realize that the quality of my PhD will be the most important aspect of my residency application, but I'm a risk adverse person, and I realize that higher ranked schools are usually a safer bet.

Summary: On paper, I think Michigan is the "best" school that I've gotten into this cycle. But I am also considering Mt. Sinai for personal reasons. I'm not making my decision until I attend both second looks. But I am interested in hearing others' opinions about this situation. Especially if you are older and have experience navigating the two-body problem in your own journey through science and medicine.

Thank you

Congrats on your acceptances!

While Michigan has a higher rank on paper, Mt Sinai is also well regarded-especially regionally (if you want to match back to the East Coast etc).
NYC can be a fun place to spend in your 20s, definitely no place like it.

Your SO situation is what complicates things but in the bigger picture, I dont think 2 years apart will be traumatic. In academia, a lot of my colleagues have done long-distance relationships (cross country or even inter-continentally! Medicine entails somewhat of a nomadic lifestyle until one secures an attending position anyway.

Unsure how exactly residency competitiveness/matching will change given the new Step change (maybe with your Md PhD you'd already have a significant advantage anyway) but in the off chance that you decide to go for a super-competitive specialty or move to a new region, Michigan may help open more doors for you.

Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on your success this cycle! Michigan and Mt. Sinai are both great schools. For your reasons listed I’d go with Mt. Sinai. The prestige difference isn’t that big of a difference but your personal motivations are. Yes, your SO may not get into med school in NYC because of how competitive it is, but who says she’ll get in one at Michigan? At least you’ll have 2 years together, and you’ll be able to support each other.

Reactions: 2 users
Your SO would be far more likely to remain close to you if you were at Sinai. Even if you still have to do distance, there are many schools within a couple hour’s drive or train ride to NYC. Yes, the NYC schools will be competitive, but there are a lot of options (MD and DO) for applicants with lower stats. Michigan lacks that density and the nearby schools have more in-state bias. I don’t think the prestige is significant enough to overcome this. I vote for getting out of your comfort zone, getting a cute apt with your SO, and enjoying your new life!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.