Michigan vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michigan vs Yale

• Michigan

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • Yale

Votes: 91 77.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

qpwo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm choosing between Michigan and Yale. If you could tell me which one you would choose and why, that would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

With money and other intangibles being equal? Yale hands down.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, money and intangibles are equal. both out of state for me

I'm surprised how people are overwhelmingly voting Yale!

Why are you surprised? Yale is ranked higher, and has greater prestige.

I'm aware of that. It's just that when I wrote the post it was like 28-3 in favor of Yale. Michigan is still a good program and their curriculum is different from Yale, which is why I was expecting more votes for Michigan

I think if you want to go to Yale, you should make sure you like the Yale system. If you do...then go there. If not, go to umich. You are going to be at an nationally elite institution regardless and that (curriculum) is the greatest source of contrast, imo, between the 2 schools.

If you were happy to see so many people voting for Yale, choose Yale. If you were secretly kind of disappointed, choose Michigan.

This is a new and much better version of the old "toss a coin and see how you feel" trick. I'm a fan and totally using this on my own poll haha. Oh and OP, I don't think I could turn down the Yale name, unless there were compelling financial or personal reasons to go to Michigan. It doesn't seem that there are, so as long as you feel you'll fit in/be happy at Yale, I'd pick Yale!

it is very interesting that there is such a big gap in the poll... do you guys think that yale has better residency matching?

it is very interesting that there is such a big gap in the poll... do you guys think that yale has better residency matching?

unquestionably, It has a superior match. The only thing is you won't match at WashU from Yale. Go to Yale if you can stand New Haven.

I suppose you need to consider the atmosphere and surrounding also.

Yale-New Haven Health System has some good residency programs (neurology and psychiatry stand out in particular), but Yale also sends ~22% of its class to Harvard-affiliated hospitals (virtual home hospital advantage), and a good number to NYP affiliates in NYC. I haven't studied UMich's match list, but I know that Yale's has been remarkable year in, year out.

That said, I think most of the gap in the poll comes from SDN love for the Yale system (anonymous exams, no national shelf exams, etc.).

I was struggling with this same decision last year. I went to Yale and trust me looking back, I wondered why I took so long to decide. It really is a no-brainer. Go to Yale. Stop over-thinking this decision. There is no medical school experience like the Yale experience.

thanks for the straight forward advice! its great to hear that you are having a good time at Yale

Yale-New Haven Health System has some good residency programs (neurology and psychiatry stand out in particular), but Yale also sends ~22% of its class to Harvard-affiliated hospitals (virtual home hospital advantage), and a good number to NYP affiliates in NYC. I haven't studied UMich's match list, but I know that Yale's has been remarkable year in, year out.

That said, I think most of the gap in the poll comes from SDN love for the Yale system (anonymous exams, no national shelf exams, etc.).

thanks for this info :)

This year, 14 out of 95 matched to Harvard hospitals (15%).
Four (4%) went to NYP.

This is how I'd put it: At least this year, Yale has a very low match rate to its own hospitals (11%). However, it has a very high percentage staying in the northeast (59%). These include four Harvard hospitals (15%), Penn (7%), Hopkins (4%), NYP (4%), and Brown (3%).

Status
Not open for further replies.