Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
Does anyone know if we are interviewing for actual seats in the class or a spot on the waitlist? It would be nice to know ahead of time...

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There is an actual interview date left, what this friday? I thought they were done by end of Feb???

I think youre still interviewing for a spot.

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
i also think you're interviewing for a spot. i believe robert ruiz said that they never interview solely for the waitlist. i could be wrong, though.

OP
R

Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
yeah the interview is Friday. The bizarre thing is, this was the first interview invite I received waaaaaay back in October. This was the earliest date they had. Weird.

Thanks for the info.

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
michigan was my first interview invite and my last interview date, too. i feel bad for people who applied late!

texasaggie2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
Status
gbiz said:
There is an actual interview date left, what this friday? I thought they were done by end of Feb???

I think youre still interviewing for a spot.
I think they actually interview through the middle/end of March, according to a waitlist letter I got.

choip0817

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Status
anyone know what the deal is with Michigan's waitlist? I heard that a high number people are still offered admission from the waitlist

Dr. Donkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Status
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. From old threads the opinion seems to be "it varies from year to year." We'll see. Since they end up accepting like 60% of the people they interview, I would imagine quite a few of them are from the waitlist. Also something to consider, I think Michigan residents are pulled preferentially from the waitlist or, at least, first from it.

choip0817 said:
anyone know what the deal is with Michigan's waitlist? I heard that a high number people are still offered admission from the waitlist

TexasSnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Houston
Status
You aren't interviewing for the waitlist per se... My interview was last Friday and out of 52 applicants, they planned on filling 5 seats. So while technically I interviewed for a seat, I'm more realistic and believe I interviewed for a spot at (hopefully :D ) the top of their WL.

Dr. Ruiz mentioned the Michigan waitlist is VERY active. In fact many students I met were initially waitlisted. But I don't know if it is true that an in-state preference exists when determining who to take off the WL. Afterall, Michigan takes great pride in being a highly diverse state school.

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I do not think that Michigan residents are pulled preferentially from the waitlist... I actually think it works out the other way around...

UMich tries to keep the class around 50/50, even though it is consistantly slightly more out of state. When an out of state acceptee turns them down, I think they accept another out of state app; with that said, those in state acceptances are much more likely to actually go to UMich then out of state, so there is much more movement on the out of state waitlist then the instate.

Thats my 2 cents. And Im in state :(

UMIch was the first to reply to me back in october, and Jan 21st was first they had open. I was waitlisted :(