Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anaismd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Michigan (UM) for psych? Specifically, anyone know anything about the clinician educator track at UM?
Lets get this forum rolling again!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Had my interview there a couple of weeks ago. Overall, I had a positive impression. Appears to be a pretty well-rounded program. However, it is more biologically focussed than some other programs. The residents and faculty seem happy. The facilities are very nice. They have a multidisciplinary geriatric clinic that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Drawbacks...some people appeared more uptight compared to other programs. Though Ann Arbor is a nice town, very expensive to live in and Detroit is the nearest big city.

The clinical educator track is currently a 4-year track that does not differ a lot from the general track. Basically you rotate throught the same hospitals/clinics as the general people. The difference is that there is some time that is protected for you to do some research. I think you lose some of your elective because of it. Some of the research has to be done "on your own time." There has been talk about extending the track to a 5-year program like the research track is...but they are unsure at this point. Generally, there is no set time/date to commit to the track, but I got the feeling that they like to know by start of 3rd year. You can leave the track at any time if you wish.

Hope that helps...

thanks so much! my interview there is this coming wednesday
and your input will be extremely helpful.:)