Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Micro Major What are my Options?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Microbe1211, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Microbe1211

Pre-Medical
    I'm new to SDN and it has been a great help. I am starting my planning for Med school. I have a few questions about my possiblities of getting into med school and will appreciate any help I can get.

1. I have 3.0 cum and 3.0 science GPA, with one F in org chem first try. I took my bio and gen chem 10 years ago. Will they count or do I need to take them again and what should I do with my org chem?:(

2. I took MCAT in 2006 and made a 20. I went in with low prep and applied to some TX schools and rejected. What are my options?:thumbdown:

3. What should be my next course? a SMP or post bacc or both? :confused:

Would love to hear some thoughts as to what my options may be? Thanks a bunch!

2. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your 3.0 is pretty low by today's medical school standards. Your options are post-bacc work (long, long road to get anywhere) and SMP (Special Masters Program which are expensive, competitive and potentially career-ending if you don't do well). You can choose your poison and decide what you want to do.

Obviously, you are going to need to retake that MCAT and score competitively unless you can get into an SMP with linkage and ace the coursework. Do you need an upgrade on your knowledge? Do you need practice with the types of questions that are found on the MCAT? You need to figure out what you need and get this done too.

Your grades are with you and as such you can retake your previously poor work (do much better) and apply to osteopathic schools (they substitute the most recent grade) with excellent performance. This will upgrade your knowledge base for an MCAT retake but you need to do some serious prep for this important test.

Do realize that osteopathic schools are not going to be a viable option unless you get that MCAT higher and do some quality retakes. In any event, you have some work ahead of you. If you want this bad enough, you will get to work and reach your goal. People have been able to get into medical school after a poor start but be ready for the long haul.

3. bipolardoc

Removed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Dont listen, njbmd is known to always be negative and give pesimistic advice. Check Mdapplicants, plenty of people with your stats got into DO schools. You have plenty of options, Apply to all DO schools, and Apply to Carib schools if you are so craving the MD. You have a chance at both. If you want US MD, then just do a SMP(>3.5) and get a 30+ MCAT and spiff up that letter and your good to go.

4. ILikeFood

ILikeFood NSU Class of 2013
    10+ Year Member

njbmd gives realistic advice. I'd listen to her before I listened to you.

Microbe, the higher your stats, the higher quality schools you'll have a chance of attending. I'd retake your prereqs, take a prep course for the MCAT near the tailend of it, and see where you stand. Aim for perfection, but be ready for anything.

If you listen to bipolardoc and his apply to every DO school and Carribean school garbage, you're looking at a couple thousand in applications with not so stellar stats. Are you willing to bet against the odds? I'd set a 1-2 year timetable and spruce up my application as much as possible before I applied again.

It's not always guaranteed, especially when the OP's science background is already weak. You failed to point out that SMPs are expensive and a poor performance in one could ruin his med school chances forever. Let's see how he does with his MCAT retake and postbacc first.

5. gman33

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    First, decide where you are going to apply.
    Then look at the average stats and come up with a plan to meet or beat those. No sense in applying anywhere until you have a strong application.

Your best bet will be DO schools as they will allow for retakes.
    Get your transcripts, find your lowest grades and retake those first.

Obviously you know your MCAT score is poor. If you are going to retake some of the prereqs, do that before you worry about the MCAT. 1-2 years of serious prep and you could have a decent application for DO schools.

If for some reason you only want MD, then you need to follow up the above with a SMP. DON'T do this before you have a strong foundation at the UG level. A bad performance in the SMP will sink your chances for good.

The comment about NJBMD giving bad advice was way off base. As usual she was right on the money.

6. Microbe1211

Pre-Medical
    Thank you all for your advice and thoughts. It is so nice to recieve all types of responses. Will give it a hard and long thought as to what I need to do.:)