Micro Shelf NBME post-exam feeling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masochist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you supposed to walk out of the exam feeling that you got only half the questions right? Hopefully my educated guesses for the rest were correct, but I looked up a bunch of questions and I got them wrong. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hell yes, I thought I had failed. I ended up doing just fine. Try not to worry about it until you get your scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, great.. I take phys and micro this week and those are actually the "easiest" out of 4 total exams.. :-/

any tips on the best way to study for the micro shelf in 1 day? I think I can get through two of the three following resources.

1. Microcards
2. FA Micro
3. UW Micro questions

Which two would be most helpful for the exam?

oh yeah, is there a lot of general bacteriology on the shelf? like transduction, genetics, fission, etc..

Do questions from the Lange Review of Microbiology and Immunology. The exam was very long because almost every single question was a long vignette just like the 20 sample questions on the NBME site.

The funny thing is the only conversion I've found was here: http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=628143 with the 50 percentile getting ~70% of the questions right. If you get only 60% right, then you are down to the 15th percentile :eek: while the 90 percentile is 80% right. That curve is dang narrow.

It's definitely a narrow curve. I just got my score back - 780 - and I'm more than happy with it (>99th percentile). Here's my thoughts: It's definitely a detail heavy test. It helps to know all the toxins and how they work.

Many questions are clinical, but the clinical portion is usually pretty stereotypical and easy to figure out - the challenge is selecting the right answer for that organism, which will require knowing random details about its structure or virulence factors. Also, they won't use names for diseases but rather will describe the symptoms observed for a case. For example, they won't tell you the kid has scarlet fever, they'll describe the symptoms and then ask what lancefield group of strep it would be. The microcards vingettes are pretty close to the actual test, minus the question part.

Basic bacteriology is huge. You have to understand how phages and transposons work. Same with virology. I found Lange really useful for this as I have no real micro background to speak of. I spent just as much time studying these chapters of Lange as the chapters on the actual organisms. If I had only used my MicroCards I would have missed a lot of that detail.

I had a lot of parasite q's on my exam and was glad I studied that stuff. I was told that they were low yield but I definitely had a fare share of parasite and fungal q's on there. Fungus is always pretty buzzword heavy. You'll get the dude from Bakersfield with cocci or the cave-diver from Ohio with histo.

I really liked Lange and used it for the course and for my only review source for the shelf. For review I was able to get through it a few times. It's a big boy, but you'd definitely miss some details with MicroCards or First Aid as your only source. That said, without enough time, a more concise source might be better. Lange is kind of a gamble because of it's size, and you have to focus on knowing all the big points before spending time on the little details. But the details are money.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Lange's questions but I found that they weren't formatted close to the actual exam. They are probably good for reinforcing points from the book, especially if you haven't read it, but if you've studied the book I think they're pretty low yield and too straightforward to give you much of a test taking simulation. I actually didn't use any question banks or do any practice tests before the shelf...but I would wager that something like Kaplan Q bank or maybe UWorld would be useful. There's a style to some of the questions like experimental data type questions that I had not seen before, and it's probably an advantage to have done some good board-style practice questions.

Last edited:
I took the 2011 Micro shelf but my school only gave me the three digit number, how can I find out what this corresponds to?

Micro: 600
Micro +Immuno: 580

Do questions from the Lange Review of Microbiology and Immunology. The exam was very long because almost every single question was a long vignette just like the 20 sample questions on the NBME site.

The funny thing is the only conversion I've found was here: http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=628143 with the 50 percentile getting ~70% of the questions right. If you get only 60% right, then you are down to the 15th percentile :eek: while the 90 percentile is 80% right. That curve is dang narrow.

I got a 600 on the micro shelf and I thought the questions from the Lange book were pretty helpful. All I did was memorize the micro section in first aid and do most of the questions from the Lange book.

750 on it. Only used UW and FA (knew it cold though).

I didn't think it was a hard shelf but our micro profs used FA liberally and were good.

Are you supposed to walk out of the exam feeling that you got only half the questions right? Hopefully my educated guesses for the rest were correct, but I looked up a bunch of questions and I got them wrong. :(
So I just took mine. and I felt like I got half of them wrong. :( How did you actually end up doing???